Uni Research Project - helmets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWSteve

Guru
Personaly I don't want to find out !!!!

I don't want to find myself in a situation where someone says 'If you had worn x then this wouldn't have happened'.

I don't want to find myself in a situation where someone says 'If you had worn x then this wouldn't have happened'.

Then don't injure your knee!

Which is a possible point for research (with a different slant)

There are all too many supposed "Health Care Professionals" who are supposed to base their practice on evidence, yet when it comes to helmets spout some incredible rubbish. A friend of mine came off her bike and injured her knee, yet got a tirade from the Paramedic about how she should have been wearing a cycle helmet

What would be interesting would be to look at a few Nurses and Paramedics and assess their opinion, their knowledge of cycle helmets and especially the evidence base behind their chosen stance

Licramite

Über Member
The forword to BSI Standard 6863:1987 reads as follows:
it (the standard) specifies requirements of helmets used by pedal cyclists on ordinary roads, particulary by young riders in the 5 years to 14 years age group, but which may also be suitable for off the road. it is not intended for high speed or long distance cycling, or riders taking part in competitive events.

BS EN 1078:1997 - the European standard which replaces the British Standard also make no reference towards helmets being suitable for high speed impact.

As the goal of many helmet manufacturers is to simply pass the certification required to permit sale, it would be fair to suggest IMHO that the majority of helmets sold in the UK are designed only for low speed impacts.

Unfortunately research has shown that the foam thats supposed to compress in an impact doesn't at low speed. especially in child helmets. even in cases were the helmet has broken. the helmet does nothing to prevent concussion.

Licramite

Über Member
I find it somewhat ironic that someone is giving advice on helmet research for a University project when their previous "scientific research" was:

Irony is my speciality.
I'm sorry you really don't understand the nature of scientific experiments if you think that is "unscientific" the only reason we build machines to test things is because we can't smash peoples or animals heads without protest. I've been involved in a scientific experiment were they tested working and equipment in very - very - cold conditions. - no machines, just troops in a freezer testing kit.- thats science.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Irony is my speciality.
I'm sorry you really don't understand the nature of scientific experiments if you think that is "unscientific" the only reason we build machines to test things is because we can't smash peoples or animals heads without protest. I've been involved in a scientific experiment were they tested working and equipment in very - very - cold conditions. - no machines, just troops in a freezer testing kit.- thats science.

Wow..........................................

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
The forword to BSI Standard 6863:1987 reads as follows:
it (the standard) specifies requirements of helmets used by pedal cyclists on ordinary roads, particulary by young riders in the 5 years to 14 years age group, but which may also be suitable for off the road. it is not intended for high speed or long distance cycling, or riders taking part in competitive events.

I wonder why long distance comes into it?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I wonder why long distance comes into it?

No idea, but as a proud Englishman I would think it followed our traditional process for such things.... Get lots of fat, old and out of touch people who have no real world experience regard the subject matter at hand, pay them vast sums of money to listen to a report from a twisted and bias expert on the matter, go for an expensive lunch which has been paid for by the tax payer, drink lots of wine and once sloshed return to the chambers to make a decision regarding something you really do not care about. Leave and get home early

The One That Got Away

I thinking you're confusing 'irony' and 'idiocy'...

Honestly can you please post constructive comments. The last helmet debate I saw you on all you seemed to do was insult people with every comment. If you disagree say why. Your witty little comments are not helping anyone.

Irony is my speciality.

Please, please, please tell me that you realise the amount of work that went into this before it got that far?

Having organised and participated in just such work, there is a whole load of simulation, testing, modification, retesting, ethics approval and a whole plethora of very scientific research that goes before this, something of which you seem naively unaware.

.. and you can actually smash people's and animal's heads in if the experiment is justified and ethically approved. It is far more common than you would think.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Honestly can you please post constructive comments. The last helmet debate I saw you on all you seemed to do was insult people with every comment. If you disagree say why. Your witty little comments are not helping anyone.

TBH, his "witty" comment was pretty much bang on and far more enjoyable to read than some of the other dreck posted.

The One That Got Away

TBH, his "witty" comment was pretty much bang on and far more enjoyable to read than some of the other dreck posted.

I know what you mean but the person who started it was obvious after serious answers and is something he is interested in getting into. So that's why I think constructive comments would be better. I could understand on other threads but by doing what he's doing its going to start straying away from the topic. As I did with my comment yes but it was only there in the hope people may stick to the topic through other means rather than insulting each other.

Top Bottom