Unintentional donations...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I donated myself once to an old geezer when I was a kid.

In the 70s when we didn’t lock everything, I finished school and climbed into the car for my lift home. No one else was in the vehicle and I guess I assumed my mother was off gassing with some other parents.

Imagine my horror when an old geezer got in and started to drive off. Imagine his horror when he finally noticed further on down the road, some weird kid sitting in the back of his car.

I had climbed into the wrong car.

pawl

Legendary Member
My lucky grey moment was when I was on holiday and returning to the car. Put my camera on the roof while I took my jacket off , got in the car and drove off, with yes, the camera still on the roof.

Go to the next stop and got out of the car and to my amazement, the camera was still on the roof. The wrist strap had fallen down and got stuck in the car door when I slammed it shut.

Lucky me.

Did the same thing only mine must have fallen in the road..Some one picked it up.As luck would have it my phone number and address was inside the camera case and they contacted me.

Made a good excuse for another trip to the dales to collet it with a present for the 10 year old daughters parents

My lucky grey moment was when I was on holiday and returning to the car. Put my camera on the roof while I took my jacket off , got in the car and drove off, with yes, the camera still on the roof.

Go to the next stop and got out of the car and to my amazement, the camera was still on the roof. The wrist strap had fallen down and got stuck in the car door when I slammed it shut.

Lucky me.
When I was at school many many years ago. My english teacher asked me to take some paperwork to his car in the car park. I can`t remember the reason why. Anyway, when I got to his car I found that his car was locked and as it was leaving off time I thought that I`d put the folders on the roof of his car. My reasoning was that he was bound to see it as he got in. Incidentally it was a Morris Minor (typical teacher car in the 70s). The next day, said teacher called me in to ask why I had`nt put the paperwork ( school markings) in the car, to which I replied that it was locked. "You should have brought it back to me then and not left it on the roof". Apparently he had`nt seen it on the roof before he had driven off. He only saw it down the road as he had to brake suddenly and it slid down the windscreen to his horror. Lesson learnt. Don`t do favours for teachers anymore. I must admit that I did feel a bit of a fool !

bladderhead

I like Skol said:
Ford-one-key-fits-all
My father locked himself out of his Avenger. It took them 2 hours to get in. They had to prise up the metal of the door. They told him they could penetrate a Dagenham Dustbin in 2 minutes.

D

Deleted member 26715

Many years ago a mate came out of the pub, got into his car, started the engine then went to turn his new cassette player on only to find it was missing. He looked back to see if the thieves had nicked the speakers off the parcel shelf to find they'd kindly left him a 'kiddy seat' fitted in the back.
Aunt got in Rover P6, drove to petrol station, put fuel in, it was only when she couldn't find the chequebook in the glove compartment did she realise she was in the wrong car. Luckily she knew the station owner, she drove back to the car park to find the owner sat on her bonnet waiting for her to return.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In the 1970s there were a few stories of people getting into the wrong car and driving off.

So many, one wondered if some were apocryphal.

On t'other hand, there was only a set number of different keys for some models.

At the garage where I worked we had a peg board of pre-cut spares.

Given some wear and tear, and the overall low quality of the locks, stuffing anything into the keyhole and twisting it might work.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
How old are you Skol? You clearly don't understand what it's like to get older.

I'm at that age now where rather than going into another room & forgetting what you were going for, I stand up & forget where i was even going :laugh:

I trust you pay more attention to your surroundings when you are actually cycling? Its routine and familiarity like that which can get you in trouble on the road.

Even though I'm old & forgetful I still stay totally aware of things around me whilst out cycling, far more than some motorists :sad:

Go to the next stop and got out of the car and to my amazement, the camera was still on the roof.

Think it was my Dad's 50th when I took my camera out & then next day realised I hadn't brought it home :blush: We'd been out for a meal, then stopped at another pub on the way home, when I'd left the camera on top of the car, but it wasn't there when we got home :sad: The worrying thing was an early shot on that film in the camera was of me coming out of the shower, taken by my wife :ohmy: thankfully it wasn't the digital, social media age of today. Dread to think where the photo could have ended up :wacko:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In the 1970s there were a few stories of people getting into the wrong car and driving off.

So many, one wondered if some were apocryphal.

On t'other hand, there was only a set number of different keys for some models.

At the garage where I worked we had a peg board of pre-cut spares.

Given some wear and tear, and the overall low quality of the locks, stuffing anything into the keyhole and twisting it might work.

I was locked out of my own cortina but opened it easily with my girlfriend's yale front door key.

And at the school my dad had previously taught at, one of the kids had twok'd a bus. Apparently he'd used a key ... off a sardine tin !

Katherine

Guru
We've been staying with friends.
Mr K handed over the bag with the presents in to the husband and I never saw it again.
Except, I packed the bags intending to keep my lovely cycling motive hessian shopping bag, and I would have taken the presents out and handed them out individually. The rest of the family still hadn't seen their presents by the time we left :sad:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We've been staying with friends.
Mr K handed over the bag with the presents in to the husband and I never saw it again.
Except, I packed the bags intending to keep my lovely cycling motive hessian shopping bag, and I would have taken the presents out and handed them out individually. The rest of the family still hadn't seen their presents by the time we left :sad:
:hugs:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We had a red van. Wife left the shop and got in and thought “ this van is filthy, it was’nt like this when I came down this morning, who has been using it?” She then noticed our van further along the street recognisable by the livery. Oops!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was locked out of my own cortina but opened it easily with my girlfriend's yale front door key.

And at the school my dad had previously taught at, one of the kids had twok'd a bus. Apparently he'd used a key ... off a sardine tin !

Nothing to do with keys, but one of the yobbos around here twoced a train many years ago.

Strictly, it was a locomotive which was parked in one of the port sidings.

He literally hit the buffers, suffering a nasty head injury from which he still bears a scar.

Top Bottom