Unknown bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
RaleighSerialNumbers.jpg

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Malaysian Raleigh from the early/mid 70s.
Heavens above were the Asians making "British" bikes even then ?

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Is a Toyota made in the UK a British car or a Japanese car?
Ahh, semantics.... a wonderful topic and worthy of further investigation in this case in particular !

nonowt

Über Member
I've seen pretty much the same style frame number on Malaysian built (late 70s early 80s)"Harry Quinn" frames. So it's probably from the early days of outsourcing - could be a gas-pipe number that was bought in and badged up by a shop or mass producer.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've seen pretty much the same style frame number on Malaysian built (late 70s early 80s)"Harry Quinn" frames. So it's probably from the early days of outsourcing - could be a gas-pipe number that was bought in and badged up by a shop or mass producer.
Quite common for small manufacturers to buy in frames and paint/badge em up for 'lesser' bikes whilst building their own high end frames. In Leicester we had Sid Mottram who had his own range of bikes but I have on good authority that he never built a frame, his good bikes were built by Mercian in Derby the lesser bikes were anything he could get then painted in his own livery. Customers used to see the Oxy Acetylene bottles and torches in his workshop and assumed they were brazing their own frames up but they were just for repairs , My Carlton had its seat stays brazed back together by Sid's son in law after a lorry ran it over in the late 80s.

Top Bottom