Unknown threaded hole ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Welch

Hi have noticed a small threaded hole on my bottom forks behind my drive train it's the same size a the bottle holder holes and the bolt fits in . My bike is a Cannondale synapse aluminium frame 5 years old I'm worried it's open and does lead to my bottom bracket photo of location attached

Mudguard stay ?

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Hi have noticed a small threaded hole on my bottom forks behind my drive train it's the same size a the bottle holder holes and the bolt fits in . My bike is a Cannondale synapse aluminium frame 5 years old I'm worried it's open and does lead to my bottom bracket photo of location attached
Photo please
Hi I've only just joined the forum so I'm unable to download pics till I've been on a while

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Photo please
Drain hole?
Cheers yeah possibly, it's there on purpose , I was thinking maybe they put disc brakes on the same frame and it's the exit hole for them , I only noticed it when my BB started clicking now it's doing my head in

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Cheers yeah possibly, it's there on purpose , I was thinking maybe they put disc brakes on the same frame and it's the exit hole for them , I only noticed it when my BB started clicking now it's doing my head in

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Mudguard stay ?
Drain hole?
Chainstays are the parts you refer to. Seatstays are the upper ones.
Cheers yeah it's were the two legs of the chainstays meet

Chainstay and seatstay tubes sometimes have small 1-2mm holes at each end from manufacturig process. Some manufacturers plug them. I squirt WD40 into my steel tubes and leave them open and sometimes up end the bike to drain out any water.
The bottom brackets sometimes have holes on. At the bottom this could be for bolting on a cable guide or for draining water. On the rear sude between the 2 chainstays it is for bolting a mudguard. If you have this threaded hole and use mudguards, it is the best way of attaching them.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Chainstay and seatstay tubes sometimes have small 1-2mm holes at each end from manufacturig process. Some manufacturers plug them. I squirt WD40 into my steel tubes and leave them open and sometimes up end the bike to drain out any water.
The bottom brackets sometimes have holes on. At the bottom this could be for bolting on a cable guide or for draining water. On the rear sude between the 2 chainstays it is for bolting a mudguard. If you have this threaded hole and use mudguards, it is the best way of attaching them.
Fantastic many thanks for this great bit of advice

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
1603450206630.png

Found this, on the web. Looks like routing for an internal cable run to the derailleur. Is this what we are discussing?

Top Bottom