Unknown Trike brake, Need replacement friction pad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Hey,

Im trying to get a replacement pad? for the rear brake on a trike, however I've never come across anything like this before and don't even know where to start. Image attached below. Can't find any information at all on it, when you apply the brake, it clamps the outer ribbon of steel against an inner ribbon, the circular pad has completely disintegrated so no longer functions, name of what this is, or a link to the pad would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

iluvmybike

Über Member
Its a brake shoe. The only ones I know of are the Sturmey Archer ones - which you can still get - but you'd need to check the fit as that doesn't look like a SA brake. You may have to refer to the original bike manufactuer to determine the make. If you can get a shoe to fit you will need to remove the brake unit from the bike to open it up. The springs holding the brake shoes on can be really stiff and it's a bit of a fiddle. They then take a goodly bit of bedding in to be fully functional

T4tomo

Guru
I don't know much about trikes, but isn't the brake on the real wheel / axle pretty much for show, a lot of trikes have 2 brakes on the front wheel as that is the only thing that stops you reliably.

iluvmybike

Über Member
When set up properly that brake is very effective - trouyble is they are open to the elements so can get a lot of crap on the shoe then they don't work so well. all pedal cycles need to have a front & rear brake operating independently to be legally roadworthy

OP
OP
RyanW

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Its a brake shoe. The only ones I know of are the Sturmey Archer ones - which you can still get - but you'd need to check the fit as that doesn't look like a SA brake. You may have to refer to the original bike manufactuer to determine the make. If you can get a shoe to fit you will need to remove the brake unit from the bike to open it up. The springs holding the brake shoes on can be really stiff and it's a bit of a fiddle. They then take a goodly bit of bedding in to be fully functional

Much appreciated, I have a feeling its going to be an extremely fiddly repair, I may see if I can just drop in a SA version so I know in future I can get hold of the parts.

Thanks again!

midlife

Guru
Coaster brakes also had shoe type brake pads, if SA don't fit then there are other makes. The shoe might have a name on it?

all pedal cycles need to have a front & rear brake operating independently to be legally roadworthy
But this isn't a cycle. This is a trike.
As mentioned most trikes have two brakes on front wheel. SWMBO's Pashley does and I can't see Pashley pushing out vast numbers of illegal machines.

T4tomo

Guru
all pedal cycles need to have a front & rear brake operating independently to be legally roadworthy
No, that incorrect. I think the legislation refers to 2 independent braking methods or similar wording.

Trikes can, and most do have 2 brakes on the front wheel (so if one fails you can still stop). its soething to do with weight distribution, but at any sort of spreed on a trike, a rear brake just instantly locks the wheel and it just skids so pretty pointless.

similarly-ish on a fixie you only need a front brake, as the fixed wheel counts as a brake.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Isn’t @raleighnut a bit of a trikey ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Remove the shoes and do a wee bit of internet work to see if ypu can match them.

Failing that, there are places out there that will re-line drum brake shoes for anything with a drum brake, and its not super expensive.

Last edited:

weareHKR

Remove the shoes and do a wee bit of internet work to see if ypu can match them.
Failing that, there are places out there that will re-line drum brake shoes for anything with a drum brake, and its not super expensive.
Unfortunately, it's clear no one is familiar with this system, I would suggest you take note of @Drago's suggestion... ☝

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You could try contacting the Tricycle Association, see if they know.
Edit: or try Googling "bicycle band brake". I got some possibly suitable replacements with that.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hey,

Im trying to get a replacement pad? for the rear brake on a trike, however I've never come across anything like this before and don't even know where to start. Image attached below. Can't find any information at all on it, when you apply the brake, it clamps the outer ribbon of steel against an inner ribbon, the circular pad has completely disintegrated so no longer functions, name of what this is, or a link to the pad would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

View attachment 583563
it's a band brake, dunno where to get replacements though.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom