Unlocking a phone from a network.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I got a code from a seller on eBay to unlock my HTC phone for under £2. It only took him about an hour to email it to me. I'll see if I can find it in my order history...

Here you go - Mobunlockingmaster.
same here. It was cheap (£2), easy, painless and I didn't even have to walk into town (where i was quoted £25).

edit... @Salty seadog first i googled something like "how to unlock my model of phone" and found instructions on a youtube video.
Next, I bought the code off Ebay
Then i unlocked my phone. :okay:

if you take it to a shop, this is probably what happens...

They google something like "how to unlock my customer's model of phone" and find instructions online.
Next, they buy your code off Ebay for a couple of quid.
Then they unlock your phone and charge whatever they quoted you. :sad:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe ask the seller to do it as the original owner of the phone (and add £2 to the purchase price if needed)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
same here. It was cheap (£2), easy, painless and I didn't even have to walk into town (where i was quoted £25).
I called in at a local shop and was quoted £10. I thought that was a bit steep considering that I had paid less than £80 for the phone itself! (I was peeved at paying extra because the phone had been advertised as unlocked.)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
To the best of my knowledge, the Network to which it is locked, is obliged to unlock it FoC. This may apply only once the initial contract period has expired. I know that I had an iPhone, which was locked to Tesco/O2, I was able to have it unlocked with a simple phone call to Customer Services.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
To the best of my knowledge, the Network to which it is locked, is obliged to unlock it FoC. This may apply only once the initial contract period has expired. I know that I had an iPhone, which was locked to Tesco/O2, I was able to have it unlocked with a simple phone call to Customer Services.
i tried doing that but because i bought the phone 2nd hand, didn't have the information they (vodaphone) wanted from me.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
i tried doing that but because i bought the phone 2nd hand, didn't have the information they (vodaphone) wanted from me.

OK. It is few years since I did it (always do SIM only and buy phone separately now), so, I cannot recall the questions they asked, but, I do recall they asked for the usual "50 digit" numbers, which are in such tiny print, you need a magnifying glass!

Drago

Legendary Member
Ues, we tried that but the code Vodafone gave Mrs D didn't work. Shes long since gone to another network and really can't be arrissed to argue with the eejuts at Vodafone when she left a year ago.

Hence, me selling it as on the Vodafone network. Any profit from the sale, if it sells, will be donated to a local charity that supports the bereaved families who have suffered the pain of losing a child.

In no one wants it then it goes in the electric items recycling skip at the tip. I don't do smartphones so it's of no interest to me personally.

Jody

Stubborn git

As you say only for a contract phone and the person named on the contract. PAYG or second hand and you're on your own.

My parents have just been through this with Tesco. They have something written into the Tesco firmware on a Motorola that won't allow it to unlock. It has been sent away to have an OE firmware update that should unlock it but if not (due to their obligation) they have offered to replace with a new handset.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
As you say only for a contract phone and the person named on the contract. PAYG or second hand and you're on your own.

My parents have just been through this with Tesco. They have something written into the Tesco firmware on a Motorola that won't allow it to unlock. It has been sent away to have an OE firmware update that should unlock it but if not (due to their obligation) they have offered to replace with a new handset.

We have been with Tesco/O2 for about 7 years. We have five phones (myself, wife, two of the offspring and elderly relative) on same contract. In our experience, they have been top notch for service. Plus, we get "points" which can be exchanged for discount on the Channel Tunnel! ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
They will 'adjust' the prices they charge for their deals to compensate for you being free to escape! :laugh:

I always buy unlocked handsets, and, use "SIM Only" contract.

Recently, I bought a new handset for youngest daughter (yes, I am too generous/soft). I was very surprised to find that, despite "shopping around" for deals, I was able to buy the latest Samsung S10, from a Samsung shop, with interest free credit, for a price which was less than any other supplier (other than "we will not be undersold", John Lewis).

As an aside, Tesco/O2 make price comparisons particularly easy, by showing the monthly contract cost broken down into handset cost and network cost. In my experience, for "high end" handsets, it is always cheaper to buy the handset at cheapest source, for less expensive handsets, it is sometimes cheaper to do the "bundle".

Top Bottom