Unsolicited annoying cold calls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got called today by a company first asking me for my current details as their records showed me as previously working in a noisy workplace.

Informed them that I do not give any details over the phone.

Again wanted to confirm past and current details. Sorry don't do that.

I asked them not to call again and remove any details of me from their database.

They said they would not remove my details (err what!)

Informed him that I am registered with the TPS and by calling me they are breaking the law and told them they are not permitted to call again and to remove details.

He said they have every right to call me again and refused to remove details (again ... What!)

I found it a bit sinister that a company actually refused to remove my details and felt they call me at any time as is their right.

So for the first time I have reported this company to the Information commissioners office.

So if you want to reduce your cold calling, register with the TPS - telephone preference service

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Can add your home and mobile numbers.

Hey also do the mail preference service to reduce your junk mail.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
If it's about hearing difficulties due to industrial exposure your correct reply should have been "WHAT? SPEAK UP MAN, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" to every question or statement they made.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Brilliant response on the 'dialogue from your day' thread a couple of days back:

my mobile rings.....showing a random 0845 number ( belongs to one of those ,were calling about your accident)...I answer,

Male Voice: Hello?!
Me: (in a hushed voice ) It's done, but theres blood everywhere.
Male Voice: hsuuuuuhhhh .....click

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I just leave the phone unhooked on the side and let them talk away ...go back a few minutes later and they've hung up :smile:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
If it's you home number have you tried contacting your provider and getting them to block calls from withheld/ unknown numbers?
I have a 4 and a 2 year old- so if they call when one of them is around they get told to tell the nice person on the phone ALL about their day.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I got one of those "This is Microsoft and we've identified a security issue on your computer" calls last year. A very pleasant young lady, I played along for a bit then she hung up when I asked her a very intimate question about her bedroom habits.
A friend of mine got the Microsoft call, he played along for about 25 minutes saying "yes" then said "No my Linux system won't allow that" never got another call

stephec

Legendary Member
I got one of those "This is Microsoft and we've identified a security issue on your computer" calls last year. A very pleasant young lady, I played along for a bit then she hung up when I asked her a very intimate question about her bedroom habits.
I might try that one. :biggrin:

Usually I'll say go away and hang up without bothering to be polite, but with the Microsoft scammers I'll have a bit of a laugh if I'm in the mood, if I'm not then I make my feelings very clear. :smile:

Hyslop

Veteran
I ve just fielded an odd one of these,Pick up phone,dead silence,then the tinkly music at which point I put the phone down.20 minutes later,same again.However this time I listened,and lo and behold,it turned out to be an automated interactive message from our local infirmary asking for confirmation of attendance at an appointment.Seemingly Cumbrians are amongst the worst offenders as regards non attendance at appointments,therefore this approach seeks to remind people and at a time outside usual working hours.You can however still choose to speak to a human as i suppose ther has to be room in the system for those hard of hearing etc.I m quite glad now that I didnt behave as I sometimes do!

Top Bottom