Unsolicited annoying cold calls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Keep a whistle beside the telephone.... A couple of longs blasts usually breaks the ice

:surrender:

byegad

Legendary Member
We got pestered with a lot of calls despite being on TPS. I bought a cordless phone from BT which can be set to block withheld, unknown and international calls. This gets rid of 90-95% of our unwanted calls. It will also block 10 known numbers, getting the number of calls that actually ring the phone down by a couple more percent. The few nuisance callers that actually get picked up get a fairly aggressive answer from me. Along the lines of:-

Who gave you my number?
I am registered with TPS and you shouldn't call me, please remove my number from your list.

This usually gets a positive response. Those that are more persistent get a lot ruder, OK obscene officer, it's a fair cop you got me bang to rights this time, reply.

nappadang

Über Member
If I've got time, I enjoy fencing with them. I'll string them along sounding really interested. Obviously I give false or fictitious details. They think they've made a sale then just tell them you've changed your mind.
They get pretty angry but I never seem to get another call from the same company.

Ern1e

Über Member
All I do is just ask if the call is recorded before saying anything else and should thye answer why yes we record them for training purposes, my reply them is oh good your training department are going to love this ! Now please remember they (poor souls) areusually working of a script sheet so I then ask them to turn this over and quickly skip to the question "how much is this going to cost me" and do not answer any further questions from them just keep asking "how much please" Ok it's a little ignorant at times but I look at it as it's costing them (the company the poor soul works for) the cost of the call and wages etc,and then after about tenmins or so I end it with well if you cant tell me how much I am going now bye!!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I got called today by a company first asking me for my current details as their records showed me as previously working in a noisy workplace.

Informed them that I do not give any details over the phone.

Again wanted to confirm past and current details.

They don't want you to confirm anything, they want information they don't have.

Next time someone tries that, if you can be arsed talking to them, ask them to tell you your name, previous workplace etc., they won't be able to so how can you confirm what they don't have?

They'll you give some crap about data protection(!) and try to get you to talk. I ask them for their company name, phone number, opening hours, number of staff, favourite colour... just to keep them talking so they're not annoying some other poor sod.

GC

Ern1e

Über Member
They don't want you to confirm anything, they want information they don't have.

Next time someone tries that, if you can be arsed talking to them, ask them to tell you your name, previous workplace etc., they won't be able to so how can you confirm what they don't have?

They'll you give some crap about data protection(!) and try to get you to talk. I ask them for their company name, phone number, opening hours, number of staff, favourite colour... just to keep them talking so they're not annoying some other poor sod.

GC
Now that is a good idea will have to try that next time lol. my other favorite pass time is junk mail (oh how sad can he get they say) the way to deal with this is at some point youalways geta reply paid envelope so if you chuck that away it only cost them a few pence for the envelope/printing etc but if you put as muchof the other junk mail you get (minus any address labels or anything with your name on it) into said envelope and post it back to them viola this then cost them the postage and they then have to get rid of the rest of the crap so come on boys and girls lets send them as much as possible and maybe just maybe they may get the message.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Now that is a good idea will have to try that next time lol. my other favorite pass time is junk mail (oh how sad can he get they say) the way to deal with this is at some point youalways geta reply paid envelope so if you chuck that away it only cost them a few pence for the envelope/printing etc but if you put as muchof the other junk mail you get (minus any address labels or anything with your name on it) into said envelope and post it back to them viola this then cost them the postage and they then have to get rid of the rest of the crap so come on boys and girls lets send them as much as possible and maybe just maybe they may get the message.

Someone, perhaps here, returned an old car tyre using the pre-paid label

classic33

Leg End Member
Ask where they got the information from. They have a legal obligation to check the information they hold is correct, up to date and they have permission to use it.
When they get the information and again before using that information to make the call. This includes automated call systems.

Many seem unaware of this and it throws them when they're asked if they have complied with the law.

jayonabike