Unsupervised children and dogs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
This is Deefer.

Deefar2_zps499258f2.jpg

Deefer was taken to the vet by his owners as they said he had bitten their 3 year old on the face. Fortunately (for Deefer), vets do not take putting a healthy dog to sleep lightly, and having elicited further information from the owners refused to do so and took possession of the dog.

It transpires that the three year old was left unsupervised with Deefer, and somehow managed to close a drawer on his head, Deefer then "bit" the child's face. This is what happened according to a three year old child. The child did not require medical attention, but was said to have a "mark" on his face. Therefore, given the above scenario, the vet refused to euthanise the dog.

Unfortunately for Deefer, he now spends most of his time in a 4 foot by 3 foot cage.

Deefar3_zps7c7176ac.jpg

I've been walking Deefer over the holiday on behalf of Staffy Rescue, and he's an absolute bundle of fun to walk, a real pocket rocket that likes to run and jump about but will stop on a sixpence and come back if called. He's a right character, and is really enjoying our daily walks.

Deefar5_zpse49316ff.jpg

He's not perfect, and doesn't appreciate the attention of uninvited strange dogs, but he will also walk past other dogs (and horses/livestock) without a showing any interest provided he's left alone.

Deefer would be best suited as an only dog, or with a calm female. Staffy Rescue are hoping to find a temporary foster home or permanent home for Deefer so that he has a home he can call his own and receive a bit more attention than the hour and a half I'm giving him at the min.

Santa brought this homeless lad a little present.

Deefar8_zps54a7288f.jpg

If anyone would like to either foster (Rescue meets all costs) or re-home Deefer, I can pass on further details.

And don't leave your kids unsupervised with dogs!

Milo

Guru
Would love to take him. Little boy is one though, not that we would leave him unsupervised with a dog mind. Lovely looking staffy looks like he is crossed though?

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
To the best of my knowledge he is full Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but not Kennel Club registered (you could be right though).

He has recently been neutered (since being taken in by vet) and will fully vaxed/wormed etc before being homed/fostered. Located in Fife.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Foxy says hello and wants to know if he can ride a bike

2010_0701Various0007.jpg

She's my daughter's but she's currently staying with me and lives peacefully with 6yr, 2yr and 3 month children. But I can understand the caution with Staffs. On her first walk with me, we came across another Staffy whose owner assured me ''He's not a fighter.'' Less than half a second later, his dog had grabbed Foxy by the neck and refused to let go. They have a hell of a strong jaw, good natured but when they snap, they don't mess about. And it took a lot of effort to drag his allegedly peaceful dog off Foxy.

Sandra6

Veteran
Aw, I hope somebody takes him in, poor dog.
We have a Jack Russell who unfortunately hates Staffies. I have no idea why, he's never had a run in with one, but if he sees one he goes mad barking, and if he's off the lead will go for them. It's the only breed guaranteed to wind him up - I wonder if there' such a thing as a bad rep in the dog world too?!
I do leave my children alone with my dog though, it'd be difficult not to, but when he was new and they were much younger I didn't.
Well, I did once, and came back to my 3 yr old carrying him round the house showing him out the window, the TV, the clock, as though he was a baby! I was more worried what she'd do to him than the other way round!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm sorry and I really am, but how the hell can a family pet not be left with a child? It's part of family life. Personally based on what little information you gave....if my family pet bit or 'snapped' even a little bit, I'd would have done the same.

What choice would you have? Risk it, which would be unfair on the child, the pet and the parents or guardians. Pass it onto others, knowing full well what could happen....imagine the guilt if Deefer snapped again and hurt someone or a pet.

And you say, don't leave your kids unsupervised with family pets. You might as well say, don't have pets if you've got kids.

stephec

Legendary Member

2010_0701Various0007.jpg

She's my daughter's but she's currently staying with me and lives peacefully with 6yr, 2yr and 3 month children. But I can understand the caution with Staffs. On her first walk with me, we came across another Staffy whose owner assured me ''He's not a fighter.'' Less than half a second later, his dog had grabbed Foxy by the neck and refused to let go. They have a hell of a strong jaw, good natured but when they snap, they don't mess about. And it took a lot of effort to drag his allegedly peaceful dog off Foxy.

Tell her to get back to doing the ironing! :smile:

postman

Legendary Member

2010_0701Various0007.jpg

How have you managed to teach Foxy to iron.I know owners who have made blacksmiths out of their dogs,one shout and the dog makes a bolt for the door,but ironing i am well impressed.I might just have use for such training.

Tommy2

Über Member
I think the vet had the right idea as there was definatley more to the story, in 20 years ask the boy if they remember their pet deefer and they will probably burst in to tears at how he lied about what happened so he didn't get into trouble and its been haunting the boy for his whole life how his loving and loyal pet got taken away all because they boy was being trying to cram the dog into a drawer and the dog jumped out and accidentally scratched the boys face.

Lets face it, kids can and will be nasty little b@stards just for the sake of it.

If we didn't already have 2 (dogs that is) then the wife would have him in a heartbeat!

Lisa21

Mooching.............
That is such a sad story and I hope he finds his forever home very soon. Some people just shouldnt be allowed to own a dog....they are real creatures with needs and feelings just like humans, not toys to be given to children and cast aside once the batteries have run down. It is so one sided too.. a person can be convicted of extreme cruelty to an animal and recieve not much more than a slap on the wrist, and yet if a dog accidentally bites a child it is put on death row. :angry:
Give him a cuddle from me, i wish I had the room to take him in.

Top Bottom