Unsupervised children and dogs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The one thing we should all learn from this, which is obvious, is never leave any dog alone with a child. Ever. Even if you think you know the dog. It will save a lot of heartbreak.

Edited for missing word.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@MichaelM

I wonder if you tell us the name of the charity that is trying to re-home Deefer?

Sara_H

Guru
This very sad and in your case it was the right thing to do, but you know what the facts are in your case and you did the right thing.

We don't know what all the facts are in Deefers case so to say something is totally wrong without those facts is inappropriate.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear, the totally wrong bit was that a dog bite wouldn't leave only a mark. That's exactly what happened to my son, a slight mark on his cheek.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2226848, member: 259"]Sorry, you were talking crap - is that easier? :rolleyes:[/quote]

You just do not agree with me, which is your perogative, that does not mean I was talking crap.

I always try and keep my posts impersonal and I am never deliberately offensive to people.

It's not a dog v kids thread, its a dog lovers v dog haters thread.

The real point is who would leave a 3 year old unsupervised with or without a dog around? Call child services and bang the child in care.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It's not a dog v kids thread, its a dog lovers v dog haters thread.

The real point is who would leave a 3 year old unsupervised with or without a dog around? Call child services and bang the child in care.

And to maintain balance have the dog put down while you are at it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I could have slapped warnings on a few, I chose to clean up. What's happened to everyone, all turned nasty ?

Milo

Guru
24741359.jpg

[QUOTE 2226980, member: 259"]Eh? I don't agree with roughly half of the posters on here, but they all seem to be saying they like dogs.[/quote]
Yeh but its the way threads of this type always go.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I wouldn't leave my dog alone with a toddler - a three year old doesn't know that an animal has a set limit of tolerance.

As for the debate that's going on, personally I think there's a huge difference between an unprovoked attack on someone (straight to the vet, put to sleep) and a natural reaction to unreasonable behaviour, with the caveat that if a dog can't cope with a toddler, it's best to get it re-homed before something awful happens.

buggi

Bird Saviour
if a pet bit a child and it was unprovoked then yes, it should be put down, but part of the reason that children should not be left alone with pets is because sometimes children "test the dog's tolerance" by doing things such as shutting their heads in drawers (see above). i read one story where an alsation was put down. Previously having been a model dog, the vet did a autopsy on it to see if there was something wrong. the dog had a wax crayon lodged in his inner ear canal, something the child had done which would have caused the dog great pain, and hence the dog bit the child. Had the vet not done the autopsy no one would have been any the wiser why the dog bit. I once caught one of my nephews testing how far he could bend my dogs paw the wrong way. not everything is as black and white when it comes to dog's biting. Also, my other dog got funny with my nephew and then someone fess'd up that my darling nephew had whacked her over the head with half a house brick. He was a toddler and didn't know any better, but it was a good few weeks before the dog trusted him again. Hope your staffy finds a good home.

Top Bottom