Unsupervised children and dogs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
I think the suggestion is Deefer didn't really bite the child. If any dog truly bite a child in the face then you're likely to get more than a 'mark'. If a child tried to stuff my Staffy into a drawer all he would do is try to run away. It sounds like it was the child that needed retraining rather than the dog in that scenario.

Exactly.

I doubt very much that the child was lying given that he stated he closed a drawer on the dog's head, but I strongly suspect that he was mistaken in describing what then happened as being bitten.

The rescue is hoping to find a foster/permanent home where there are no you children present in order to ensure that nothing like this can happen again.

Deefer has had at least an hour (usually more) of free running (on a long line) through a local woods since we became aware of his situation, and he is a much happier dog now than when I first met him. He is responding well to the exercise and training he is receiving, and I'm sure he would thrive in the right environment.

Canrider

Guru
Ummmm, to potentially try and find a home for the dog?

This is honestly not the science of rockets to figure out...

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
[QUOTE 2227055, member: 259"]If the dog didn't bite the child why did you bother starting the thread?[/quote]

Because Deefer needs a home.

Canrider

Guru
[QUOTE 2227055, member: 259"]A child of mine gets a "bite" on the face and leaves a "mark", it's not going to be around much longer. Sorry, let's not get over-sentimental here, it's a dog.[/quote]
Your use of quotes is extremely telling. What's a 'mark' to you, and how does that compare to the "mark" claimed by the toddler?

(but you'd still leave kids and dogs together unsupervised)

Canrider

Guru
Is a three year old child capable of stuffing a full grown staffs into a drawer, IMO, I doubt it.
Yes.
Both Miss (4) and Master (2) Canrider can easily lift and move a Jack Russell who doesn't bother to squirm out of their grip. I have no doubt a Staffie could be put in a drawer by a 3-year-old.

Canrider

Guru
[QUOTE 2227077, member: 259"]My use of quotes is extremely telling in that it is identical to the OP's. :laugh:[/quote]
Yes, where they were used to denote that the 'biting' and 'marking' were very much in doubt...

Canrider

Guru
[QUOTE 2227090, member: 259"]It's probably more reliable than the word of a dog, though.[/quote]
So...a slight, unspecified pinkening of a cheek, then?

Canrider

Guru
[QUOTE 2227095, member: 259"]So was the kid not bitten by the fog? I thought that wasn't in doubt?[/quote]
At risk of belabouring the point...unless I saw it happen firsthand, or the 'mark' was undoubtedly from a dog's jaws, I wouldn't trust the word of the 3-year-old who'd been caught shutting doggie in a drawer.

Arch

Married to Night Train
When I was 7 or 8, I went to tea at a frend's house, and their dog bounced into me while I was sitting down, and gave me a black eye. Not all 'marks' are down to deliberate use of teeth/biting.

Canrider

Guru
[QUOTE 2227100, member: 259"]I'm sorry, you were obviously there, whereas I can only comment on what the OP says about it. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Once again, going back to my earlier point...what's a 'mark' to you, and how does that compare to what the previous owner of the dog and child thinks is a 'dog bite mark'?

Canrider

Guru
[QUOTE 2227107, member: 259"]I would tend to take the 'mark' as rather more convincing than that.[/quote]
I'm sorry, you were obviously there, whereas I can only comment on what the OP says about it. :rolleyes:

(see what I did there?)

Top Bottom