Unsupervised children and dogs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Canrider

Guru
[QUOTE 2227124, member: 259"]You ignored the OP?[/quote]
Unless the OP contains a photo of the 'mark' in question that I've somehow missed, then no:

"Deefer was taken to the vet by his owners as they said he had bitten their 3 year old on the face. Fortunately (for Deefer), vets do not take putting a healthy dog to sleep lightly, and having elicited further information from the owners refused to do so and took possession of the dog.

It transpires that the three year old was left unsupervised with Deefer, and somehow managed to close a drawer on his head, Deefer then "bit" the child's face. This is what happened according to a three year old child. The child did not require medical attention, but was said to have a "mark" on his face. Therefore, given the above scenario, the vet refused to euthanise the dog."

Sara_H

Guru
Can the OP just clarify what reason they have for doubting the family's word that the dog bit the child? And if they're so certain that the story is fabricated why they bothered to mention it?

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
[QUOTE 2227124, member: 259"]You ignored the OP?[/quote]

You have either misunderstood my OP or are deliberately misrepresenting what I said.

Canrider

Guru
Can the OP just clarify what reason they have for doubting the family's word that the dog bit the child? And if they're so certain that the story is fabricated why they bothered to mention it?
I presume the fact that vet refused to euthanise (ie, the vets didn't buy the story), plus the lack of any need for medical attention to the child, was germane to presenting the character of the animal in question as well as the circumstances of it being in need of fostering/adoption.

Hicky

Guru
Good luck rehoming the dog, if someone wants a dog they'll go and get one, I disagree with this being on here.

I hope the rescue vet potential homes well and inform the prospective new owners completely on the past behaviour, my neighbour got a patter dale from a rescue and was later informed(after it had bit her on a few separate occasions and differing circumstances) that it had a problem with high value items.

As for all the other stuff on the thread, trying to interpret read a dogs behaviour is hard enough even if you know the dog and are experienced!
There are too many if's and maybe's for me here.

Sara_H

Guru
I presume the fact that vet refused to euthanise (ie, the vets didn't buy the story), plus the lack of any need for medical attention to the child, was germane to presenting the character of the animal in question as well as the circumstances of it being in need of fostering/adoption.
Bites don't always need medical attention, the one my son sustained didn't. And how a vet interpreted the story has no bearing on the matter.

I guess it concerns me, having had a similar experience with a dog who went on to cause serious injuries. I've also done voluntary work in dog rescues and know that sometimes the volunteers can be less than honest about a dogs background when trying to find homes.

Tommy2

Über Member
And if the child was purposely trying to shut the drawer on the dogs head then the child should be put down as he will grow up to be a murderer.

It's all speculation, if the dog jumped out of the way of the drawer and caught the child's face with his mouth leaving a red mark then the child may have been upset and thought the dog bit him.

Who knows, only the child.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Deefer was taken to the vet by his owners as they said he had bitten their 3 year old on the face.

I would think that a family which had a dog would be what you could describe as animal lovers. The fact that there was no mention that the animal was neglected also supports this.
So what I wish to understand is why a family of animal lovers do not choose to have this family pet in their possession? - Everyone I know who adores their family pet, seems to view the animal as an family member... would you get rid of a family member or pet without good reason.

So the question I have, is if they are aware that the dog was provoked or reacting to the actions of a child and this was out of character, why do they still not have or trust it?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
So the question I have, is if they are aware that the dog was provoked or reacting to the actions of a child and this was out of character, why do they still not trust it?
Because the dog's trust in the child has been broken and he will more than likely view the kid as a threat? Child advances to play - dog misinterprets.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Because the dog's trust in the child has been broken and he will more than likely view the kid as a threat? Child advances to play - dog misinterprets.

How does a dog determine one child from another? - or is this dog now likely to misinterpret the intentions of all children. If so putting it down makes total and common sense to me as its just been identified as a danger.

Crankarm

Guru
Foxy says hello and wants to know if he can ride a bike

2010_0701Various0007.jpg

She's my daughter's but she's currently staying with me and lives peacefully with 6yr, 2yr and 3 month children. But I can understand the caution with Staffs. On her first walk with me, we came across another Staffy whose owner assured me ''He's not a fighter.'' Less than half a second later, his dog had grabbed Foxy by the neck and refused to let go. They have a hell of a strong jaw, good natured but when they snap, they don't mess about. And it took a lot of effort to drag his allegedly peaceful dog off Foxy.

Does Foxy iron boxers as I have a few that need doing?

Manonabike

Über Member
I have not read any of the responses to the op post but I think anyone with children would be mad to take this dog and take the risk.

I could not live with myself if I took this dog and by my mistake the life of my grandson is put at risk.

The only way to be sure the dog will not attack anybody is by putting it down. Sadly but it's the safe thing to do. Keeping the dog in a cage is cruel.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
How does a dog determine one child from another? - or is this dog now likely to misinterpret the intentions of all children. If so putting it down makes total and common sense to me as its just been identified as a danger.
I know plenty of dogs that wouldn't be at all suitable in homes with small children. Doesn't mean they're blood thirsty killers. If you read my first post in the thread, you'll see I differentiate between dogs who launch an unprovoked attack and a dog who is acting in response. IMHO, the former should be put to sleep; the latter requires a responsible home with experienced dog owners.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Blimey what an emotive thread.

I got bitten as a child by our family dog. When I went blarting to my mom (unknowing to me she'd witnessed it), I had slap on the backside for teasing the dog and a 'serves you right'.

I wouldn't leave my dog with any sprog - I've witnessed the way some of them can slyly pinch, pull, grab at the tail.

Top Bottom