Unthinking workmen, stupid driver, discouraged cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Poor you Jacomus, here's a hot cuppa and a manly hug for you. Don't let the twunts get you down, they are just ignorant.

frog said:
Wave, smile, call 'Have a nice day' and just carry on. It drives them flamin' bonkers :tongue:

This is turning into my standard response and I swear I can see the back window of the car mist up with the steam coming out of their ears xx(

This is an excellent way to respond, frog!!! It often works far better than any abuse or ignoring.

Membrane, you've lost the plot there I think. Primary is nothing to do with pedantry or insisting on being a vehicle, it's just about the minimum required to maintain your own safety. Peyote's answer sounds pretty good to me.

Membrane

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I mean I am sick of the twunts in cars and on the pavement who feel the need to shout abuse at me just because I am there.

Being shouted at (and worse) just for being there can happen, and obviously nothing you can do about that. Instead of getting angry or despondent about it I generally pity anyone who behaves like that. That keeps me happy and stress free on the bike.

I stopped to talk to the guy who shouted at me earlier because I wasn't cavorting around in the middle of the road, I had to slow down and change my direction to safely go over a stupidly laid cable in the road. I was annoyed that he had no idea what the problem was, and just assumed I was being an idiot.

Many people (including cylists) don't appreciate the challenges posed by other modes of transport and I don't think you are being fair to expect car drivers to know that a cable shield at 45 degrees is a danger to cyclists.

If I had been on my motorbike and done it the w@nker wouldn't have shouted at me, and if he had he would have cowered in his car and locked the door when I turned to him.

Going by your description of the guy you could well be right, but a saddo like that shouldn't be able to make you feel bad.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We need a competition to come up with the most annoying, but unoffensive comment that would really wind up an aggressive motorist.....

The "Smile and Wave" really winds them up.

There is never much point in arguing as they just don't understand - last time I got shouted at (about a year ago) was by an old duffer in a Merc - he tried to cut me up - saw him coming up from behind in the outer lane signaling to go left - he was about to go passed me and cut in right before the lights - I signaled and pulled out to the outer lane, meaning he then had to go into the inside lane for the correct position - I'd already stopped at the lights when he pulled up, wound down his window and started having a go - me explaining that he was about to cut me up didn't work..... he carried on... so I just told him to 'fcuk off' !

Jacomus,

Sorry to hear you are feeling that way. I get like that from time to time. You could turn these situations around though if you confuse the drivers. For example if a muppet shouts at you, 'Oi get outa my way' answer back with something that completely confuses them like, 'I'm only here because BentMikey told me to ride here?', or 'do you realise that your fly is undone?', or 'The blue whale is my favorite animal'. This will confuse them enough to halt any abuse and you get the satisfaction of seeing them trying to work out what you are talking about. It might make these situations more bearable xx(

The comeback I have used which works well (when my brain is in gear) is this:

Magnatom: Have you passed your driving test?
Driver: Eh?
Magnatom: Have you passed your driving test?
Driver: 'course I have you...
Magnatom: Would you have driven like that/beep me/ etc on your test?

Possible answers:
Driver: Eh......(plus look of confusion) RESULT
or
Driver: No but....
Magnatom: Then that proves your driving was below standard. RESULT
or
Driver: Yes.
Magnatom: Then lets hope you never get banned, as you'll never pass the resit. RESULT

I've only managed the first reply so far:biggrin:

mcd

Once got "use the cycle lane" shouted from an overtaking car. A short time later the traffic was backed up and they got a "use a car park" in reply xx(

col

Legendary Member
mcd said:
Once got "use the cycle lane" shouted from an overtaking car. A short time later the traffic was backed up and they got a "use a car park" in reply xx(

Nice one:laugh:

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, it really gave me a boost when I was having a wobble.

On the back of the good feeling from the comments here I stiffened my upper lip and cycled to see my parents today, instead of catching the train and getting them to pick me up from the station.

In another thread I complained that my roadbike was pulling to one side under braking. I gave her a damn good clean last night, including stripping and re-greasing the headset - problem sorted xx( So I left home for my parents this morning a bit apprehensive, but determined.

I am pleased to say that even despite the continous headwind, it was a brilliant ride. All the cars that past me were polite and courteous, apart from one, who didn't even cut me up too badly. I got some nice views, and just had good fun on the bike - just the way it should be.

So thanks again guys.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Membrane said:
Many people (including cylists) don't appreciate the challenges posed by other modes of transport and I don't think you are being fair to expect car drivers to know that a cable shield at 45 degrees is a danger to cyclists.
You mean you think its unfair to expect drivers (who've passed their test) to know the highway code?213 - Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

Membrane

gambatte said:
You mean you think its unfair to expect drivers (who've passed their test) to know the highway code?

Not smart to expect that anyone does. They should, but very few do.

Take them all as muppets.I do.A lot of motorists are good though.xx(

You have to watch every motorist.I dont think we (humans) were designed to drive cars.

If anything like the concentration factor is to go by.

Some of these people think they can drive a car and talk into a phone at the same time when some of them would be intellectually challenged half the time to make a phone call.

Top Bottom