Unused tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have nearly new conti 4 seasons hanging up in my shed on wheels.These have been there about thirty months.
I have heard that after a few years unused tyres dry out and crack.Is this true as I’m thinking of replacing these with my worn ones.?

Sharky

Guru
Don't know for sure. I've had some wheels/tyres in my attic for many years and when I brought them down, they were still OK. But I've had a couple of winter tyres that I took off for the summer and when the winter came round again, discovered the side walls appeared to be cracking.
I've also heard of pro's hanging their tubs up for a couple of years before they are used to "season" the rubber and make them more puncture resistant.
So a mixed answer. Just need to examine them before re using.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It seems to depend on the tyre; I've used tyres that are 5+ years old without issue. My Raleigh Pioneer was running on the original tyres from 1996 until last summer.

However others seem to crack after a year or so. Conti ones seem OK however - fit and inflate them; if there's no cracks I'd guess you're fine. The only issue with hardening is that they lose grip.

It depends very much on the tyre. If it’s a decent properly constructed multi layer tyre, it’s unlikely to be as affected as a cheap single piece vulcanised number, in my experience. It will depend a lot on how they’ve been used, and then stored as well, to an extent.

OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
I pumped them up about six months ago,just checked them again and they have hardly gone down.
No cracks so when I have a chance I will replace them with the old tyres.
As always very helpful comments.

Milzy

Guru
Slightly off topic but how many thousand miles would a set of conti gp 4000 or 5000 last in use? My mate says my 5000 TL will be worn out after 1 season. Hope not as they cost more than the car tires.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Slightly off topic but how many thousand miles would a set of conti gp 4000 or 5000 last in use? My mate says my 5000 TL will be worn out after 1 season. Hope not as they cost more than the car tires.
I got 5000 miles out of a pair of the original version of GP4000s (23mm) on my main commuter, but only around 2500-3000 miles on the GP4000 II (23mm, 25mm & 28mm) on other bikes as they seemet to cut up and split a lot more than the original version.

Top Bottom