Unusual events that have paralysed your Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
Having stupidly made a tiny file mark on my seat post to mark the correct insertion point I was riding and found my seat seeming to be moving backwards and down. Thinking that the threads in the penta clip were stripped, and the saddle was slipping I hopped off to find the seat post tearing completely through the post at the little scratch. Riding home 10 miles or so without being able to sit was the result....and a new seat post of course.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, at least your bike won't get knicked in France, despite the locals being workshy :blush:

OP
OP
U

User66445

The bike's back. And the local council maintenance crew were anything but workshy. Taciturn, but not workshy. I went to their depot and asked if they could do anything about the bike. One suggested bolt cutter, the other didn't waste words, walked into the shed, returned with a portable angle grinder, and both jumped into the van. They already had already started when I caught up. Took seconds, smiles all round, we swapped stories of other bike mishaps, and they headed off into the distance, well into the main street anyway, with me following on the newly released bike.

Now all I need to do is work on the unrelated problem of the derailleurs not working.

u_i

Über Member
On the topic of Abus, the dealers get duplicate keys made if you provide them with key code printed on a card that comes with the lock. Obviously when you get the lock, you get a second key as well. At some point I ensured that we had third keys for all our Abus locks, this in particular to cope with my wife's expectation that I carry a spare key for all of her bikes on my keychain. On those occasions when I took along a lock in travel to secure a local loan bike, I would take a spare key along, to prevent a situation of taking the loaner bike hostage.

Top Bottom