Unusual virus at Christmas.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maenchi

StoneDog
My partner had the flu jab earlier in the winter and it has not stopped her getting the most awful infection over Christmas she took to her bed a week ago and has not got up yet, can't stop coughing and the amount of catarrh is unbelievable she spoke with the doctor who gave her the standard advice of drink plenty of fluids, she has not much of an appetite but i'm insisting she has something each day, if the flu jab you have is not exactly for the particular strain around it will not work, so I've been told, tomorrow (Monday) i'll phone the doctor and ask for a visit surly there is some other antibiotic that will help with her cough,.

Duffy

Über Member
The reported effectiveness this year is circa 40% I believe.
The culture is predictive and they don’t always get it right.
They are very reluctant to hand out ABX for viral illness (as they do nothing) unless it’s very obviously triggered something else

vickster

Legendary Member
My partner had the flu jab earlier in the winter and it has not stopped her getting the most awful infection over Christmas she took to her bed a week ago and has not got up yet, can't stop coughing and the amount of catarrh is unbelievable she spoke with the doctor who gave her the standard advice of drink plenty of fluids, she has not much of an appetite but i'm insisting she has something each day, if the flu jab you have is not exactly for the particular strain around it will not work, so I've been told, tomorrow (Monday) i'll phone the doctor and ask for a visit surly there is some other antibiotic that will help with her cough,.
She may not have had the influenza virus, let alone one of the ones covered by the current vaccine.

If the cough is viral and not bacterial, antibiotics won't do anything. It does sound like another consultation with a doctor might be in order regardless.

Hope she feels better soon

Top Bottom