Unwinding spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Never considered running out of thread on DS but is possible , the wheels are factory built in Germany so not a great build but cost less than to buy the parts in UK and you still have the build costs on top so they are still a bargain I think.

Just bought the Loctite, under a tenner of Ebay delivered , Thanks.

Are you sure they are a bargain when they don't work.

The price is very good, that cannot be deny..... I guess you are talking about the handbuilts wheels sold by Rosebikes.

I'm yet to have to result to Loctite and I hope I never have to :smile:

S.Giles

If that was my wheel, I'd have to get to the bottom of the problem before using it again. Even if it involved dismantling the wheel, measuring the ERD and hub dimensions, and determining if the spoke length(s) had been specified correctly. I suppose it's possible that the manufacturer tried to get away with using the same spoke-length for both sides and pushed their luck a little too far.

Agreed, Loctite 222 shouldn't be a necessity for a wheelbuild to work. It's a handy thing to have available though, so Eddy won't have wasted his money. I use it to ensure that adjustment screws don't work loose of their own accord. They can still be turned though, and the Loctite continues to work (to a degree) even after they have been.

OP
OP
U

User6179

Are you sure they are a bargain when they don't work.

The price is very good, that cannot be deny..... I guess you are talking about the handbuilts wheels sold by Rosebikes.

I'm yet to have to result to Loctite and I hope I never have to :smile:

Yes Rose wheels , come built cheaper than the parts , I am thinking they might use a lubricant when building that's causing the spokes to loosens !?

OP
OP
U

User6179

If that was my wheel, I'd have to get to the bottom of the problem before using it again. Even if it involved dismantling the wheel, measuring the ERD and hub dimensions, and determining if the spoke length(s) had been specified correctly. I suppose it's possible that the manufacturer tried to get away with using the same spoke-length for both sides and pushed their luck a little too far.

Agreed, Loctite 222 shouldn't be a necessity for a wheelbuild to work. It's a handy thing to have available though, so Eddy won't have wasted his money. I use it to ensure that adjustment screws don't work loose of their own accord. They can still be turned though, and the Loctite continues to work (to a degree) even after they have been.

Will check out spoke length when the Loctite arrives , I take it that if they were correct length then they should both be through the nipple the same amount which they are not but would that cause the wheel to be dished wrong ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Yes Rose wheels , come built cheaper than the parts , I am thinking they might use a lubricant when building that's causing the spokes to loosens !?

Builders use lubricant in order to get some tension on the spokes, I use oil and other use grease and some use spoke prep, loctite etc. My view is that loctite only encaurages poor building techniques.

Make sure you have enough tension and the tension is uniform. Use a proper 4 sided spoke key and you will be able to get the required tension on the drive side. Make sure the wheel maintains the dish and then make sure the tension on the NDS is uniform.

zacklaws

Guru
Remember if you use threadlock, to apply it to the threads and not to the outside of the spoke nipple where the spoke enters it as it does not work and if applied correctly the setting time is about 15 minutes in which time to make adjustments, but if you do a few spokes in one area, it can be a rush to take them apart, apply threadlock on each of them and start to retighten them and ensure the wheel is true. And never use the blue loctite, your spokes will break before they come free and turn if you ever have to adjust them, I know from experience. I even snapped a M5 bolt that had the blue threadlock applied to it. Its powerfull stuff.

S.Giles

I take it that if they were correct length then they should both be through the nipple the same amount
Not necessarily the same amount, but at least there should be a safety margin on both sides of the wheel (meaning that the thread on either side shouldn't be perilously close to being used-up). Dishing is a separate issue, and should have been allowed-for at the spoke-length calculation stage.

Top Bottom