Up hill down dale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Yes and whilst most people think about getting fitter, a stronger heart and lung function, getting in trim etc there are also major beneficial effects on the blood chemistry. You can literally see this in a centrifuged blood sample. Excercise releases certain hormones which trigger the production of certain enzymes which change the chemistry by lowering various lipids. They last for about 36 hours so daily exercise keeps them nicely topped up. Moreover, to get this benefit, you only need to do 200kcal to 250 kcal per day, doing more after that won't change much, although it will obviously still helps in fitness levels etc.

"The role of physical activity must be considered. Increased levels of daily activity bring about decreases in liver fat stores and a single bout of exercise substantially decreases both de novo lipogenesis and plasma VLDL."

Exercise can prevent certain things happening, such as fatty liver, which you don't see, as well as repairing some things that have happened.
That's very interesting, Yorksman, thanks! Michael Mosley did one of those centrifugal blood samples on his doc about exercise - ate a massive Scottish full breakfast on both days, exercised on only one of them and compared the blood/fat ratio, quite a startling demo of a proven phenomenon.

I saw a bit on Dara O'Briain's science show that demonstrated a measurable increase in {whatever it is that works your immune system} after 20 mins of exercise. I wish I could trace it as then I would know what {whatever it is that works your immune system} was. I think it was within the cells, maybe something to do with telomeres. This is what you get for flicking between channels and catching scraps. Anyhoo, the effect was marked and uncontestable, and most encouraging as it backed up my anecdotal experience of fewer, shorter colds etc.

Yorksman

There is a lot in all these old sayings about walking off a meal or taking a daily constitutional. The real trick is to find something that is fun, so it is not a chore. I have arthritis in my ankle and only started cycling, on a turbo trainer to begin with, because it has little impact on the ankle, compared to walking that is. Then I went to the Alps and hired a mountain bike and thought I was in heaven. It makes you want to go and explore.

1252073186Leutasch9.jpg

OP
OP
sunrise65

sunrise65

Regular
I have been to the Alps and viewed from the comfort of a little train, but looking at your pic Yorksman fills me with terror as I can just imagine where that track goes.. it goes UP however a lake path looking up would be nice..

Yorksman

Most of the bigger valleys are flat bottomed. The ones that have lakes like the one below showing Zell am See have cycle paths most of the way around and more paths which connect with the other valleys. The big ones that have only rivers tend to have only very slight gradients. It is the steeper sided valleys which join the big ones where you get a steep climb, but they do have spectacular waterfalls too.

summer_lake.jpg

A valley like the Zillertal has cycle paths either side of the river and many that run through the forest near the valley bottom. A lot is like this:

tauernradweg-bei-bischofshofen.jpg

You can also take your bike on the summer ski lift to the tops where there are many circular walking and cycling routes. These places are set up for all ages and many older people like to go for high mountain walks. They, and many bikers, use the lift to go back down.

But of course, if you want, if you dare, and if you have both medical and life insurance, you can cycle down the steep valley sides. The routes are well marked and have various grades of difficulty, but people don't cycle up them, they use the lifts. It's meant to be an enjoyable holiday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sunrise65

sunrise65

Regular
Thanks Yorksman, very interesting and food for thought as I have always wanted to go back to Switzerland for the scenery and the cheese :smile:

The video just freaks me out though even the thought of walking down there has me behind the sofa looking through a crack in my fingers :biggrin:

Yorksman

The video just freaks me out though even the thought of walking down there has me behind the sofa looking through a crack in my fingers :biggrin:

Yes me too and he is going slowly. That particular track is used as an MTB downhill race!

You have to work upto that level from sedate, civilised and comfortable off road routes like the Nidderdale Greenway:

There are some very pleasant routes about, like the Monsal Trail in Derbyshire. I don't know if you have a bike carrier on your car but it makes a huge difference to your enjoyment because you can make a day or half day of your cycle ride. Some, such as the Monsal, use old railway stations for car parking, refreshments and access whereas on the Nidderdale greenway, you end up at Ripley Castle. Hills do get a little bit easier every time and you will eventually start to include small rises in your chosen routes, if for no other reason than you get embarassed pushing uphill whilst old ladies cycle past you.

01-getty-monsal-trail-derbyshire-things-to-do-uk-travel-med.jpg

I don't know where yuo are n the Dales but if you can get to it, you could try the Leeds Liverpool canal too:

OP
OP
sunrise65

sunrise65

Regular
Hi Yorksman, thanks for all the interesting info and I hadn't realised that there was a cycleway around Harrogate its a long time since I have been in these neck of the woods and I am in Wensleydale. I have scoped out a 6mile ride that most of the steep hills I will walk but hopefully over time will get to a point where I can ride up but going to start short and work up to it. Unfortunately I don't have a cycle rack but can take wheels off Marin quickly :smile: I'll look into the other routes and maybe see if I can get out to them for a day. As for being passed by old ladies thankfully I am beyond caring now and the first gear is so low that pedalling at quick a fast speed moves you along inches.

Yorksman

the first gear is so low that pedalling at quick a fast speed moves you along inches.

That's not a bad thing because you get so fed up of making such little progress, you start to engage higher gears and suffer the extra effort because going that bit faster makes it worth it. You tend to make good progress with hills as a beginner.

OP
OP
sunrise65

sunrise65

Regular
There are 2 hills where initial mode will be get off and walk but plan to do a bit more each day till I can get up in one go. Itching to get the bike back on Saturday and first run out will be in York :smile: down Selby bike route.. so nice and flat just hoping not to have the winds of today..

Yorksman

York to Selby was the first ever route that I did. Never got as far as Selby though. We stopped off at a very nice Italian restaurant in Riccall for lunch where there were a couple of cheerfully flirty waitresses from Sardinia.

It's a great route, very scenic and easy cycling. You'll enjoy it. If th wind is from the west, as is usual, you'll just have it from the side as it is a north south route. I went into a headwind yesterday from Penistone to Dunford Bridge. Even a small gradient and a light headwind can make it tough going.

Always choose routes with nice cafes and restaurants. You might need them! The York to Selby route has a refreshment 'caravan/hut' shortly after you cross the bridge over the Ouse, near Naburn.

OP
OP
sunrise65

sunrise65

Regular
Thx Yorksman! not sure how far we will go but have enlisted another family member with bike to accompany me think its about 10 miles to end of track before getting to Selby so might get about half of that but will see.. Naburn food hut sounds like a good spot for a stop. Now checking weather forecasts for York on Sat.

OP
OP
sunrise65

sunrise65

Regular
Will do, weather seems to be forecasting sunny, warm and windy :smile: but will plan for all occasions.. Going out for walks before and lots of stretching to make sure not crippled when I get back crossed fingers.

Yorksman

It's not too bad first time on that route. It's just about completely flat. Going slowly helps too so avoid the temptation to change gears and put put the power down. That will sap your strength and just as likely give you a bit of cramp. Take water regularly. If you are going there and back, remember you can always turn back at Riccall. Main thing is to enjoy it.

Soon you'll be takling the major european river routes:

ab_rad_weserradweg_hub_2.jpg

OP
OP
sunrise65

sunrise65

Regular
Ahh yes water!! Think I might be a bit spoilt by nice flat cycle paths when I get back to the Dales :smile: But taking your advice not to go off like a madman as I usually do.. I have been down the Rhine on a motorbike a few times (well next to it) and that looks tempting.. bit easier that the Alps :biggrin:

Top Bottom