Up hill down dale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yorksman

I aim to get fitter and then catch the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam and cycle down to Zeebrugge where I can catch a ferry back to Hull. I thought that would make a nice introduction to touring.

Might drop a hint for Christmas:

1892495708.01_PE20_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

OP
OP
sunrise65

sunrise65

Regular
Now that is a great idea! But will be quite some time before I would consider doing that but Netherlands, flat as a pancake and I have distant rellies and friends there :smile: But thanks for heads up might add to Amazon wishlist..

Yorksman

Hi Yorksman rather that duplicate I posted over in newbie progress http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-newbie-progress.110413/post-3301437 But all went well, I'm still alive :biggrin:

Hi, yes I saw it. Glad you enjoyed it. As I said, it was my first real outing too. It's just a matter of keeping doing it and progressing slowly. If you try to do too much too early, you can put yourself off. There is no hurry afterall. It doesn't matter how long it takes to get fit enough to cycle with ease and almost anything you do, is of great benefit.

I was out on my touring bike today. First part was very good but the second half was a bit rough and I wished that I had my mountain bike. The bike did cope, but I felt unsteady. Having said that, on the whole, the hills are getting slightly steeper and slightly longer.

I'm hoping to go to the coast with the missus next week. She'll get put up in a hotel whilst I have a go at the Cinder Track between Whitby and Scarborough.

Ravenscar_Cinder_Track.jpg

OP
OP
sunrise65

sunrise65

Regular
Yes I was going to go out today on the bike but I decided against it as thought it was probably over doing it, so went for a walk up't dale instead but ended up doing more than expected. Thankfully the bike stayed in one piece yesterday and I didn't end up in the bramble bushes on the cycle path and apparently the road to desolation. Building up steam to go out in the morning going to go early to avoid the traffic i.e. white van men, local tradespeople and other mad people. Its 6 miles but there it is mostly hills until the last bit and that's all downhill :biggrin:

You have some great ideas for rides keep em coming, another one to add to the list looking forward to hearing about your trek.

Yorksman

There are some steep hills in the dales. There's one road out of Kettlewell that has some unbelievably steep bends which can defeat even motorists.

On a lighter note, this video looks so much fun. Obviously hard work, but not ridiculously so.

OP
OP
sunrise65

sunrise65

Regular
Thats the road I was talking about and when we were nippers we use to cycle up to top end of the dale near the top of Park Rash and open and close gates at cattle grids for 50p :biggrin: and when I was a bit older I did the Hawes, Gale, Kettlewell route a number of times though I can't remember how much of it we walked!

I think if I was 20yrs younger I would give it a go..

Top Bottom