Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Big_Dave M.T.B.'s have never really interested me though maybe cyclecross bikes, I acquired a cheap (as in free) M.T.B. someone was throwing out, pretty basic bottom of the range, not quite sure if its the right size, needed a bit a basic work to get it going like new brakes saddle chain (all of which I had), though everything seems to add up saddle height bar reach ect. I just dont like the seating position.

Here you are chart time again, from my database, this is the monthly temps from the days I have ridden, max avg & min temps.
upload_2014-9-27_18-49-10.png

It doesn't prove global warming ect as I ride at different times of day, and also not as many this year so there is less smoothing of the data.
This is wind speed whilst I have been riding, though I think i need to go back and check some data.
In this the green I think are the gust, but I have had to use two sets of weather data over time, so its a little confusion, the avg I think is about right.
upload_2014-9-27_18-55-54.png

One conclusion is that i might not be going out in such windy weather.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
@Nigelnaturist I got my first mtb when my kids were young and hounding me to take them bike rides, that's what got me back into cycling, bought a crappy mtb thing for £70 from toys r us of all places that got nicked out my garage, then got a claud butler and what an absolute pile of junk that was, then bought my giant in 2003, I've done 1000's of miles on it, spent a fair few quid on it, it got me out there. I'd been toying with a road bike for quite a few years but never got around to it. I had a few "racers" when I was a kid and when I had just turned 15yrs old (in 1985) I cycled nearly 90 miles to the coast on a Viscount,with British Aero Space frame 12 speed (death fork model) I did this route again on the giant in 2009, next year will be the 30th anniversary of my first big ride so I will do it again on the Raleigh next year. I have enjoyed owning a road bike again and has given me new challenges.

@Big_Dave I wasn't knocking M.T.B.'s in anyway, and that £70 one from toys r us, is about the level of the one I acquired, any bike that gets people riding has to be good, no matter how cheap or what style, I have just always had road/racing bikes, since the first one I built when I was 14 painted it British Racing Green. I was married at 21 in 1985, I won't say what happened the following year, as it was pretty s***

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
@Big_Dave M.T.B.'s have never really interested me though maybe cyclecross bikes, I acquired a cheap (as in free) M.T.B. someone was throwing out, pretty basic bottom of the range, not quite sure if its the right size, needed a bit a basic work to get it going like new brakes saddle chain (all of which I had), though everything seems to add up saddle height bar reach ect. I just dont like the seating position.

Off road MTB is definitely worth trying. I mainly do road cycling but have recently tried a bit of off road mountain biking and really enjoyed it. If I had more money I'd go out and add a more expensive MTB to the "herd". Maybe next summer.

Try to find a good trail locally and check it out you might be surprised. It's definitely more challenging than riding on road. Also if you can try a downhill trail. I did and it gave me a massive rush that has exceeded anything I've ever got on a road bike.

I'm not about to replace the road bike but this is certainly something I'd recommend if you can afford two bikes.

sunrise65

Regular
Hi all,

Yesterday was a bit of a milestone as I completed by first proper ride since oh I don't know when. The day began in beautiful hot sunshine but rapidly clouded over and after a bit of a late start at Millennium bridge in York we set off. We and almost made Riccal at the end of the cycle path but hadn't planned to go all the way to Selby and as there was no pressure to get anywhere just went for the fun. However it turned out to be 18.6 miles in and I was shocked to find out that we averaged 12.5mph with sections @21mph :eek: apparently we were going at 'my' speed all the way and only stopped twice, once at end and on way back at tea hut for cuppa and managed to stay off the cakes sigh. My bruv took water (thanks @Yorksman for reminding me to take some) with some energy powder in, but as the weather was not to bad on the ride I didn't feel too dehydrated although the wind seemed to be in front of us both ways :biggrin:

Woke this morning feeling fine apart from a bit of stiffness in my shoulders but guess all the walking paid off! Things I have learned.. need gloves, need vis jacket for roads, need flashing lights as light gets less on rides, would like some bar ends and finally need to work out if I can release the quick release wheels without having to deflate and pump tyres every time.. So next goal is a ride round here. Where do those roads go, they go up! :biggrin:

took a couple of pics but iPhone decided to go all arty farty so they didn't come out too well..

Attachments

• 2014-09-27_15.30.01.JPG
    2014-09-27_15.30.01.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi all,

Yesterday was a bit of a milestone as I completed by first proper ride since oh I don't know when. The day began in beautiful hot sunshine but rapidly clouded over and after a bit of a late start at Millennium bridge in York we set off. We and almost made Riccal at the end of the cycle path but hadn't planned to go all the way to Selby and as there was no pressure to get anywhere just went for the fun. However it turned out to be 18.6 miles in and I was shocked to find out that we averaged 12.5mph with sections @21mph :eek: apparently we were going at 'my' speed all the way and only stopped twice, once at end and on way back at tea hut for cuppa and managed to stay off the cakes sigh. My bruv took water (thanks @Yorksman for reminding me to take some) with some energy powder in, but as the weather was not to bad on the ride I didn't feel too dehydrated although the wind seemed to be in front of us both ways :biggrin:

Woke this morning feeling fine apart from a bit of stiffness in my shoulders but guess all the walking paid off! Things I have learned.. need gloves, need vis jacket for roads, need flashing lights as light gets less on rides, would like some bar ends and finally need to work out if I can release the quick release wheels without having to deflate and pump tyres every time.. So next goal is a ride round here. Where do those roads go, they go up! :biggrin:

Congratulations and well done. Great effort.

@sunrise65 York Selby is a little further than you think, regarding the wheels there should some sort of quick release to move the blocks away from the rim, on road bikes its usually a little lever, M.T.B. and Hybrid pull the blocks together and release the cable from one end I believe the end where the cable comes out of the noodle (I think thats the term), centre pull again pull together and either like the guy I helped yesterday it will come out of one end, but can also be pulled over the piece that pulls up on the cable that joins the brakes.

sunrise65

Regular
Thanks all for encouragement. I am taking a rest today as feel quite knackered now but tomorrow morning I'll be out on it again. @Nigelnaturist thx for info will give it a go if not might think about replacing callipers for ones that do as pia for transporting. It won't be last time I go down there as family live in York so would like to try that and other routes again.

cyclingclueless

Regular
Hi All,

Well I did it; my first long distance ride :dance:. Covered the NCN route 6 from Northampton to Market Harborough and back in a day, total of 36 miles. The track is good overall, however there are some parts that for a road bike are bumpy. Went with 2 other friends on MB, and both had had issues with tyres that day (one prior to us setting off, another puncture on the other bike coming back). None with mine, though i think i have worn the tread on my tyres after doing the ride.

you can defo tell when you change counties- the track suddenly goes into nice fully filled grit!! We had lunch and the obligatory cake before making way back. However I bought some swanky lights :sun: before leaving MH as I didn't like going through the famous Kelmarsh tunnels (disused railway) the 1st tunnel is 480m long, and weird, as you can see the light at the other end but no nearer to it and everything is BLACK. My lights I had were just useless. The second tunnel is 418m.

I'd happily do that ride again - but not on my own through the tunnels:ph34r:. Looking for other day routes too now (as well as a nicer saddle!! OWW :wacko:)

thank you again for all your advice and support so far; just need to be able to do that distance x3 for like 4 days in a row... haha.

Hi all,

took a couple of pics but iPhone decided to go all arty farty so they didn't come out too well..
did you spot all of the planets? except of course the one that is missing!:whistle: (I was over there not so long ago on our holiday tour)

As for the wheels and getting the wheels off without having to deflate the tyres - that is a hit & miss thing depending largely on the bike and the tyre size you have fitted. One of my bikes I can get the wheels off without having to deflate the tyres, 1 I can't and, 1 sometimes does with a little brute force... 2 are mtb style brakes with wide tyres and 1 is a road bike. My OH's road bike is a definite no for getting the wheels off without having to deflate the tyres, but his mtb is fine. however despite having supposedly narrower tyres on his touring bike than my identical touring bike, he can't get his wheels off without deflating the tyres, whereas I can... - like I said it is hit and miss

sunrise65

Regular
Yes nearly made it to Pluto which was either 50 miles away or 50 metres.. I was going a bit fast to notice the one missing :biggrin:

At the moment I have a 35c on the front and a 28c on the back if I am correct and had planned to match to 28c I have had a fiddle this morning and neither cable wants to release its self so may just bite bullet and pump up and let down in order to move it around. I do have a dual cylinder foot pump so doesn't take long just a faff. Thx for info..

Yes nearly made it to Pluto which was either 50 miles away or 50 metres.. I was going a bit fast to notice the one missing :biggrin:

At the moment I have a 35c on the front and a 28c on the back if I am correct and had planned to match to 28c I have had a fiddle this morning and neither cable wants to release its self so may just bite bullet and pump up and let down in order to move it around. I do have a dual cylinder foot pump so doesn't take long just a faff. Thx for info..
It was Pluto that was missing :laugh:. the last one they have is voyager 1 (which is now incidentally in the wrong place).... pluto has been drawn on the tarmac by someone after that point - but we didn't stop of photo them because my OH only tolerates so many stops... had I have been on my own, it would have been a different matter :whistle: Tis a nice route, though we didn't do all of it because we decided against taking our touring bikes into York and having to lock them up outside a museum... left them on the campsite and took the bus instead. Nice flat route and well maintained. Someone has even ground down the tree routes as well! Hull could learn a lot from them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom