Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Nigelnaturist Yes I notice the wind when I went out normally just whizz down the roads to Chertsey Bridge - somehow I try to keep to similar pace but end up going too hard at the start of the ride
My ride on the Garmiin site has been revamped and doesn;t show the weather now
Wind seemed quite strong SSW I would guess
The screen shot is north orientated so yea S to SSW, it shift round to the west by late afternoon though.
So much for the new garmin site being all bells & whistles, what the point connecting to strava if it won't show you the weather, it seems as though no one can do anything unless its connected to strava.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The screen shot is north orientated so yea S to SSW, it shift round to the west by late afternoon though.
So much for the new garmin site being all bells & whistles, what the point connecting to strava if it won't show you the weather, it seems as though no one can do anything unless its connected to strava.
I thought it had gone too until I just re-checked. It is shown at the top right of your ride map now. Pretty basic info but it is still there.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Did my last training ride this morning in readiness for my attempted 100 tomorrow morning, just 15 miles.
https://www.strava.com/activities/202987817
Haven't ridden all week as I pulled my right leg muscles last weekend doing a 70 miler and got a touch of tendinitis behind my right knee. Not good preparation for tomorrow and it was all going so well! It's fair to say that I am slightly concerned about tomorrow, and maybe starting road riding on the 17 August and doing a 100 on 5 October some 50 odd days later was a tad optimistic/unrealistic? Anyway I've got loads of sponsors for cancer research so just hope the body holds together!
We've been quite lucky with the weather over this side of the country, this morning was dry and 14 degrees, tomorrow is forecast to be 3-4 degrees in the early morning (but dry) so quite a change, just something else to throw in the mix when we start at 8 am!

I thought it had gone too until I just re-checked. It is shown at the top right of your ride map now. Pretty basic info but it is still there.
It all ways was, mind you like everything in this recording business I think the only real thing we can rely on is the distance to be anything close to accurate, and then only when couple up to a sensor and calibrated to the correct wheel size, even then tyre wear will change over time.

Did my last training ride this morning in readiness for my attempted 100 tomorrow morning, just 15 miles.
Haven't ridden all week as I pulled my right leg muscles last weekend doing a 70 miler and got a touch of tendinitis behind my right knee. Not good preparation for tomorrow and it was all going so well! It's fair to say that I am slightly concerned about tomorrow, and maybe starting road riding on the 17 August and doing a 100 on 5 October some 50 odd days later was a tad optimistic/unrealistic? Anyway I've got loads of sponsors for cancer research so just hope the body holds together!
We've been quite lucky with the weather over this side of the country, this morning was dry and 14 degrees, tomorrow is forecast to be 3-4 degrees in the early morning (but dry) so quite a change, just something else to throw in the mix when we start at 8 am!
Not sure on your forecast for tomorrow, but it is awkward when you have such a cold start and its likely to warm by 10 degrees it makes it difficult to know what wear, leg and armwarmers if you have them instead of possible a jacket, but ant least two layers three if your going to be slow., this way, you can strip the warmers off.
I set off for London the day I got my Road bike in 2008, I had four days though and was carrying quite a bit of weight. Its amazing what determination can achieve.
Good luck.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Good luck with the ride. Great cause :thumbsup:

As Nigel has said, layer up the clothing.........and don't try and set out too fast if you are unsure of managing the distance. It's amazing how a slow and gentle start will keep you going so much longer.

U

User32269

Well done you. The moral of the tale.........just keep turning the pedals no matter your age, fitness levels or type of bike :thumbsup: Some of my most enjoyable rides have been pootling around on my hybrid type bikes.
Cheers! My big problem is that i forgot it was 25+ years ago since bombing about on my old racer, still think i got young legs! Have now got to stop coming home with old battered steel racers and convincing my missus they are classics in need of tlc...or maybe just hide em better!

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
Cheers! My big problem is that i forgot it was 25+ years ago since bombing about on my old racer, still think i got young legs! Have now got to stop coming home with old battered steel racers and convincing my missus they are classics in need of tlc...or maybe just hide em better!
legs be never too old for some proper rides :smile: keep it up :bicycle:

I managed my normal 30 mile loop yesterday. Still only managing under 300 miles a month but scared to over do it incase my knee goes again. I fear I will be getting out even less now as we have just had a baby...
When I started i used to get the odd really sharp pain from an old compression injury, and whilst i still feel more pain in my right thigh then my left, the pain in the knee area as all but gone, and as @Supersuperleeds will tell you 300 miles a month is some distance.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
TBH I don't know how I ever rode on those old 42/52 14-28 gears, I tried it once early this year and thought sod that, old frame modern 3x10 now lol, 30 yrs ago I could ride 90 miles and think nowt of it, mind you I probably weigh nearly double that what I did 30 yrs ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom