Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well ladies and gents. It looks like autumn is finally here for a lot of us. I hope you have you're winter drawers at the ready., and that you've all got your winter wear all sorted out.
don't you start... my OH was on at me this evening on our evening walk asking me if we had enough front lights... we have 2 * 400 lumen lights that are off-road lights each... not between us, each! He thought that they might not be enough, so was thinking of 2 side by side and that we should have something with different battery options - don't know what he has been drinking - must be at work.... for the last 2 years I have commuted to my parents using 1 of these lights on unlit roads at night without any issues... OK I needed 2 of them because the battery life is not long enough for a return journey commute of 44 miles with the lights on all the time, but still, why does he suddenly think I need to be (or he needs to be) running 2 of them side by side? Its an Exposure Joystick for off-road mountain biking designed to light up the world and it is exceptionally good at lighting up the world BY ITSELF... it doesn't not need to be 2 of them simultaneously...

sorry rant over... suddenly he wants to spend money again and I hate spending money.... yet when I point out that he needs a new bike, he does not want to spend money and says it will last him a touch longer yet :wacko: AHHHHHHHH men...... OK maybe the rant is over now.... :hyper:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
don't you start... my OH was on at me this evening on our evening walk asking me if we had enough front lights... we have 2 * 400 lumen lights that are off-road lights each... not between us, each! He thought that they might not be enough, so was thinking of 2 side by side and that we should have something with different battery options - don't know what he has been drinking - must be at work.... for the last 2 years I have commuted to my parents using 1 of these lights on unlit roads at night without any issues... OK I needed 2 of them because the battery life is not long enough for a return journey commute of 44 miles with the lights on all the time, but still, why does he suddenly think I need to be (or he needs to be) running 2 of them side by side? Its an Exposure Joystick for off-road mountain biking designed to light up the world and it is exceptionally good at lighting up the world BY ITSELF... it doesn't not need to be 2 of them simultaneously...

sorry rant over... suddenly he wants to spend money again and I hate spending money.... yet when I point out that he needs a new bike, he does not want to spend money and says it will last him a touch longer yet :wacko: AHHHHHHHH men...... OK maybe the rant is over now.... :hyper:

smiley-laughing001.gif

RWright

Guru
Wotcha talkin' about :laugh:
I remember when my cousin got his "British Racer" as we called them. It was great. Too bad he was older than me and I was about a foot or two too short for it. It didn't stop me from riding it though. I was kind of squirrely on his gravel driveway and was worried about crashing his new bike, but once on the road I did ok. :rolleyes:

I haven't been out riding yet today. I am watching the weather radar. I was driving home today and saw several cyclist on the road. The only problem was that two riders, not riding together btw, were riding on the wrong side of the road, into oncoming traffic. Both of them were a little too far away and I passed them too quickly for me to yell at them and tell them to get on the right side of the road. I then get home and read my TV channel news website and see that some woman cyclist in her 50s, from Chapel Hill, lost her life today when she was hit by a car. They mentioned she was coming out of a convenience store, riding on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic too. It made me wish I had taken the time to say something to the guys I saw doing it. :sad: If I had been on my bike they most certainly would have been enlightened.

Luked1980

Did 14 miles tonight. Coming off the bike each time with really bad shoulder pain

Measured the frame and it is 50cm. I am 6ft. Is this bike too small for me?

RWright

Guru
Did 14 miles tonight. Coming off the bike each time with really bad shoulder pain

Measured the frame and it is 50cm. I am 6ft. Is this bike too small for me?
It sounds small, I am 5'10" with short legs and I ride 56 and recently got a 53. The 53 seems small to me but I seem to be just a little faster on it. It also has slightly shorter cranks and narrower bars. I feel comfortable on it but I don't feel nearly as low in the drops on it. I am pretty sure a 50 would be too small for me.

@Nigelnaturist Yes I notice the wind when I went out normally just whizz down the roads to Chertsey Bridge - somehow I try to keep to similar pace but end up going too hard at the start of the ride
My ride on the Garmiin site has been revamped and doesn;t show the weather now
Wind seemed quite strong SSW I would guess

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just working on the list of stuff we need to take for the weekend. Anybody else doing this?

https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/involved/fundraise-events/cycling-harrogate-sportive-yorkshire?dm_i=72O,2MI6J,F44VV2,9L7FQ,1

It says it's full now, but I'm not sure how many riders there will be. We registered ages ago and are numbers 9 and 10.

Have a great weekend folks
Are you doing the long or medium route? Says it is a scenic route so will help pass the miles hopefully :thumbsup:

Absolutely chucked it down the entire night here. It's easing off now but the roads will be very wet. Think it will be another day off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom