upgrade bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeruss

At the moment I ride a giant defy 5 2013. I am wanting to upgrade to a new bike for about £1000 can people suggest a good upgrade the defy 5 was my entry level bike.

andyfraser

Über Member
I really like the Felt F series. The F75 is just under £1,000: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Felt-F75-2015-Road-Bike_74227.htm
If I was buying a new road bike this Cube would also be on my list: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Peloton-Race-2015-Road-Bike_74612.htm

OP
OP
mikeruss

mikeruss

I have had the bike only a couple of years but should I upgrade components or the bike to improve the ride. I have replaced the wheels I am starting to do a lot of climbs at the weekend so would like something more suitable for that.

vickster

Legendary Member
The frame won't get lighter, does it have carbon forks? What groupset? What wheels did you get? A real upgrade on wheels is probably £250-300 or more

You'd be best to go ride a few bikes, Evans good for test rides if one close, but they don't have the cheapest bikes

Doyleyburger

Veteran
If your looking to upgrade either the components or the bike itself, then have a think what components you want to upgrade. If it were me I would suggest upgrading the bike itself as you could spend a fortune on upgrades and then realise you could have got a brand new bike with that money. I recently spent £170 on a new wheelset, wish I had more to spend but I was on a budget. I can honestly say it's taken the ride to a different level in terms of smoothness and they've helped my climbing as its knocked a fair amount of weight off my original wheels. Felt bikes are awesome value for money whether it be the F-series or the Z series like I purchased last year (Z85).......fantastic machines. Also for £1000, check out the Boardman Team Carbon

migrantwing

Veteran
As @Doyleyburger says, you could buy a whole new bike for what you'd spend on upgrades, but the Defy frame is a good one. Upgrade wheels, forks (if not carbon), bars, stem and seatpost if you really want. I've found that all bikes are much of a muchness and it's the components that make the difference but not a huge amount. Then you have bikes that do make a difference but you're talking £3000 upwards and the sky is the limit.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
A 2014 Cube Agree GTC (carbon) can now be had for £799 with full 10 speed Shimano Tiagra, a 2014 Giant TCR Advanced or Defy Advanced (both carbon) for about £899, all are definate upgrades over your Defy 5.

The Best upgrade IMHO is the 2015 Canyon Endurace CF, lightweight Canyon carbon frame & forks with full 11 speed Shimano 105....

you would have to stretch to £1099 for that one, but it is an absolute steal for the money.

OP
OP
mikeruss

mikeruss

Thanks everyone. I am intending to upgrade the whole bike not components. As mentioned it costs so much to up grade them might as well get a bike. The giant defy has been great as a entry-level bike but as I intend climbing a lot more I thought a lightweight bike carbon forks. The giant tcr has been recommended. He also said forget about the brand go for the fit

Saluki

World class procrastinator
+1 for the Planet X suggestion. I have 2 Planet X bikes and I couldn't tell you which one I like the best. Awesome bikes at very good prices. Worth the drive up to Sheffield.

Mrs M

Guru
Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc (aluminium) looks good.
This is the bike I set out to buy but they had none left :sad:
Bought a Felt instead (ladies) and love it.
Try them out and buy what feels right.
Happy hunting.

OP
OP
mikeruss

mikeruss

Come to a decision after lots of research a giant tcr advance 3 buying it at the end of the year to get it cheaper on cycle to work scheme

Top Bottom