Upgrade, fever or sense?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
I bought a Masi Fixed Limited that I enjoy riding. The wheels seem to be the most basic feature and this is where I think my upgrade should begin. Any suggestions?

colinr

Google says Masi fixed bikes mostly come with Weinmann DP18s, is that what yours has? What are you aiming for with the upgrade - performance or looks?

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
Thanks for the response Colin. Yes they are Weinmann. I think performance is my answer to your question although blue wheels don't light my candle eiher.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Mavic Ellipse are probably the best off the shelf fixed wheels on the market at least in their price range at about £340-380 (of course there is better if you pay more, but you would pay substantially more for a worthwhile improvement). But you could build (get some built) some lighter stiffer wheels if you went to the effort and the expense, maybe using some road rims and some good track hubs.

But even the above is going to be greatly dependant on how you define performance, what sort of performance do you want, sh*t quick on the flat? Nice and light for hilly courses? Nicer handling? More comfortable?

colinr

Planet-X have these for a couple of hundred, they usually send good stuff AFAIK.

How are the ellipses with a front brake, do they flake or run in nicely?

I've been looking at wheels for a new build, want something in a deep v with white or silver finish and ideally a machined front. Suggestions welcome.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Planet-X have these for a couple of hundred, they usually send good stuff AFAIK.

How are the ellipses with a front brake, do they flake or run in nicely?

I've been looking at wheels for a new build, want something in a deep v with white or silver finish and ideally a machined front. Suggestions welcome.

I dont have them yet, I'm in two minds about them since the rims cant be bought seperatelly, thus if you bust one, or wear it out, you will end up with odd rims, if I dont get Ellipse's I'll be getting Dura-ace hubs and either B-43 or H+Son rims I imagine. Vinny from harry halls in manchester has been running a pair for 1-2 years with a brake and he told me some time last summer that they were solid wheels and it was no problem running a brake. His wheels looked fine.

They do indeed have a braking surface, it is just not machined.

Colin, do you just want bling? B-43 look a million "hipster-points" better than the Deep-V, only cost about £40 more too, and they are bomb proof. :smile:

colinr

I'm planning on going fairly bling, thinking Cinelli Mash Frameset and deep sections really complement the fat downtube nicely. Bombproof not essential, I want to keep weight down, will be hanging onto my trusty Bowery for tank duties.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Sorry for going off topic, but Colinr check out the new mash frameset due out in Feb next year, its sweeeeeeet! I want one and I'm probly going to buy one. Was looking at Dodici frames, but I like the mash colourway much more!

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
I like that Cinelli Rob, an expensive solution to my wheel problem but it looks mich better all round than the Masi. Cinelli don't seem available in Canada, who sells them in the UK and can ship, do you know?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Forgive my confusion, but how does a £700 frameset fix a wheel issue at all?

Do you mean buying a whole new bike? Cinelli Mash comes as a frameset, not a complete build, my estimation is that the new mash bike on the cinelli flickr would cost at least £1300 to build up, probly a fair clout more. The '10 frameset is about £650-700. Also the forks arent drilled for a brake, well, they are, but then the hole is re-filled with a softer metal and the paint job applied over it, its so brakeless riders (such as the background that the frameset comes from - look-up/buy/download the mash movie/feature length video of people messing about doing tricks, riding like maniacs and skidding around in san fransico on fixed wheel bikes) can have a nice clean looking fork, those that value life and limb need to carefully re-drill this to fit a front brake. If you really are interested in Cinelli frames, TokyoFixedGear and Velodrome shop both deal in them. Wiggle stock some frames (Gazetta, Vigoreli) but not the Mash.

Personally, I think the Masi bike looks nice, I dont know anything about the brand but they look pretty nice bikes and with a nice set of wheels would serve you well for a long while, again though, your choice of wheels can be based on many factors but mostly it will depend what sort of riding you do, and roughly, what you wanty from them?

If you dont mind people shouting "do a skid" and pawing over your bike and telling you how awesome it looks get some deep V's, b-43 or H+Son EERO or something alike, these rims are all pretty bomb proof, good for tricking on, so as a by-product excellent for commuting etc because pot holes wont touch them, but they are heavy. If you want something fast and reasonably light with an aero profile rim, the mavic ellipse will do great. If you want true light weight you may have to forgo the deep section rims and take something like an open pro, excellent rims too. All depends what you do with your bike, how much abuse it takes, the type of riding you do.

Im pretty much of the opinion that people often over complicate the buying of components, being relativelly feckless, I would buy the wheels that I thought looked the nicest, so long as they didnt get poor reviews or werent totally impractical. At the end of the day, most of us derive very little from the performance perks of our componentry.

Zoiders

It's a very minimal fixed so I don't see why you think there will be any tangible performance benefit from throwing huge amounts of cash at it.

Upgrade your fitness first.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
For the fun of it. It might not provide huge performance benefit (although it may psychologically help a bit) but its rewarding to tinker with a bike. I mean how much is a £200 carbon stem going to benefit most riders, including club riders, its most likely a pretty minimal number of riders who see any benefit, but people upgrade, it makes you feel better about your bike. Thus you are more likely to ride it, having a racier bike underneath encourages you to push harder, to do the bike justice.

My bike is a Fuji track, a £330 pound of the shelf track bike, no brakes included etc. I have more than likely spent more than the bikes initial value on upgrades, including brakes to make it roadworthy and am bout to drop the bikes value again on a wheelset for it. It was rewarding to buy and install the parts, the bike looks better, it rides better, its more than likely faster as a result (since the upgrades included aero bars etc) but overall its hard to tell since my fitness has also increased a lot since then.

Top Bottom