'Upgrade' from Boardman Hybrid comp to B'Twin Triban 3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I returned to cycling about six months ago after a break of 30 years or so, and the bug has worked its way under my skin. I got a Boardman hybrid through the cycle to work scheme, but I have to admit I've become obsessed with going faster, so I've put aero bars on it :wacko: and have switched the 28 tyres for a set of 23's, all in the pursuit of going that little bit faster (I currently average 15 - 15.5 mph over a short 15 mile pootle on mostly flatish terrain).

So, bearing in mind my obsession with speed, would I see any benefit in switching from the Boardman to a Triban 3 (even a 1 mph would probably make me a happy bunny)?
Thanks for any responses :smile:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Surely that's going backwards.:whistle:

OP
OP
W

WiganLardster

Regular
That's why I'm asking, I don't know if the Triban would be an upgrade as such with respect to components, but if it resulted in a slight increase in average speed I'd be tempted. :crazy:

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think you'll be any quicker on a triban vs a hi spec flat bar. You would probably be better to get fitter, find some hills. You should be able to get quicker on the hybrid

Just depends if you fancy an N+1 (i.e. keep the Boardman)

Now a 1k hi spec raodbike in top grade alu or carbon bike on light wheels on C2W may be worthwhile ;)

eevvee

I bought a Boardman hybrid team on Gumtree end of November and have had a great time with it. i now average 15mph typicallyover 20 to 25 miles. I find once I have got, for me some speed up I, as far as possible on the hybrid try a race bike posture and this quickly adds at least 2 to 3 mph to the average speed.

So I am now looking for a road bike - just missed a Trek 1.2 which was in great condition and a good price on Gumtree. So the search continues....

OP
OP
W

WiganLardster

Regular
I'm not unhappy with the Boardman, I think it's a great bike, just a case of wondering if the grass is greener (or the miles are easier and faster) on the drop-bar side of the fence. I have seen some slight improvements in average speed since I started, but I don't know if that's down to my 'bike improvements', increased fitness or a mixture of both. Maybe I just need to dangle a picture of a carbon frame Boardman just in front of my handlebars to make me go faster :bicycle:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm not unhappy with the Boardman, I think it's a great bike, just a case of wondering if the grass is greener (or the miles are easier and faster) on the drop-bar side of the fence. I have seen some slight improvements in average speed since I started, but I don't know if that's down to my 'bike improvements', increased fitness or a mixture of both. Maybe I just need to dangle a picture of a carbon frame Boardman just in front of my handlebars to make me go faster :bicycle:
You might go a little faster but I think you'd quickly be looking at upgrades for the T3. I'd think that you might be better off keeping the Boardman, a very good bike, and looking for a second-hand road bike.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
There you go print that off lol

Thats mine below and i also use a Specialized Sirrus for my commuter bike. I much prefer riding road bikes i find them more comfortable,lighter,quicker,more responsive and overall a more enjoyable ride. However be warned its a slippery financial slope this road bike world. Especially when it comes to up grading stuff :whistle:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OP
OP
W

WiganLardster

Regular
There you go print that off lol

Thats mine below and i also use a Specialized Sirrus for my commuter bike. I much prefer riding road bikes i find them more comfortable,lighter,quicker,more responsive and overall a more enjoyable ride. However be warned its a slippery financial slope this road bike world. Especially when it comes to up grading stuff :whistle:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Not a bad idea that, a road bike with in-built parrot early warning system - "Squawk! HGV alert!!! HGV alert!!"

Top Bottom