Upgrade or new

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pedro2015

I'm currently riding a ribble r872 with 105's on a 12-27 treble. Fitted with fulcrum racing quatros.

Not sure if I should sell and go for something else around the 2.5k mark or upgrade mine to a better group set/ wheels

cashy293

I'd say it depends on what you are upgrading to. If you are going to Di2 with a good wheelset I doubt you will get a frame as good as the R872 with those components for 2.5k. Might be wrong but that's a a rough guess.

Always nice to get a new n+1 though :thumbsup:

cashy293

I've never ridden the R872 so can't really give too much creditable advice but I have read lots of good reviews on it regarding the frame and as its Di2 compatible you could have some bike for much less than the £3k Wilier. I dont know much about the Wilier to be honest so you'll have to do some research on it before deciding.

Should be able to pick up a Di2 groupset and a wheelset like some Mavic Cosmics for around £1500 if you look around.

KneesUp

Guru
I'm currently riding a ribble r872 with 105's on a 12-27 treble. Fitted with fulcrum racing quatros.

Not sure if I should sell and go for something else around the 2.5k mark or upgrade mine to a better group set/ wheels
It rather depends on how you feel your current bike/wheels/groupset is holding you back.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
If I had your kind of funds available, then for me at least, it would have to he the 2015 Scott Addict 15, £2799 RRP but reckon you could cut that to £2500 if you turned up with a fistful of 20's.

Full Ultegra Di2 group set, decent finishing kit & wheels made by DT Swiss (branded Syncros)

Looks the business & light weight too.

Can't knock your R872 though, fine bike, not keen on those cheap entry level wheels Ribble do though (always get slated for being heavy & poor quality).

vickster

Legendary Member
Can't knock your R872 though, fine bike, not keen on those cheap entry level wheels Ribble do though (always get slated for being heavy & poor quality).
The OP has Fulcrums...?

Does the OP want to stick with a triple, will reduce the range of options of off the peg bikes

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Threads like these ALWAYS amaze me, in a nice sort of way, not a green eyed jealous one. I paid £250 for my bike so you can imagine how these figures seem to me! I would love to ride one of the top end bikes just to see how they feel in comparison to my bottom end one
Sorry for going off topic

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Threads like these ALWAYS amaze me, in a nice sort of way, not a green eyed jealous one. I paid £250 for my bike so you can imagine how these figures seem to me! I would love to ride one of the top end bikes just to see how they feel in comparison to my bottom end one

Same here, £400 on mine, I know no different so one day maybe in the future I can justify spending some "serious" money on a bike and see what all the fuss is about!

KneesUp

Guru
Threads like these ALWAYS amaze me, in a nice sort of way, not a green eyed jealous one. I paid £250 for my bike so you can imagine how these figures seem to me!

My bike was about a tenth the price of yours - albeit I've spent a bit on components too (as in a genuine 'bit' - £100 or so). I love threads that suggest that the supply of perfectly functional mid to high range bikes to the secondhand market is healthy :smile:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
The OP has Fulcrums...?

Does the OP want to stick with a triple, will reduce the range of options of off the peg bikes
Yes I know, he chose wisely (as did you vickster).

With the 'standard' baseline spec on Ribble's configure spec facility, the baseline wheels are made of Edam & weigh approx the same as Taiwan.

I think Compact or Pro Compact is the way to go on gearing, as you say, opens up range of choice & I find triples pretty irrelevant these days due to the wider choice of cassette's & cassette gearing range.

For the £££ quoted, I reckon a light bike with Di2 is within reach.

Top Bottom