Upgrade to dura ace mechs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Currently own a propel running 105 11 speed...

Really fancy carbon aero wheels but seriously cant afford the 1K

Also fancy Di2 again cant afford it...

No significant bike purchase is planned I next few years... so my question is..

Would changing front and rear mechs (only not shifters or crank set etc) make any difference..... and could the bike be looked at asa mismatched mongrel. I Will add nothing wrong with 105 mechs... just wondered if 150 quid would do anything

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
£150 would only impact your wallet....replace when worn-out and that will be a very long time into the future....

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
I recently built a nice bike,dura ace di2 etc...save your money for something else would be my advice:okay:

Edit...di2 is nice and would build with it again but would just stick to ultegra

Last edited:
The official model of my road bike is a Cannondale CAAD10 DA, with the DA standing for Dura-Ace, however.......

The only things DA on the bike when they shipped new was the shifters and the rear mech, the front mech and brake calipers were Ultegra, so how it warranted the all out DA badge Gawd only knows, but that's how they were :wacko:

Anyhoo it played havoc with my OCD, and as I was used to DA from other bikes I 'upgraded' the front mech and brake calipers so I could sleep at night :rolleyes:

Verdict - I can confirm that it's never gone any faster, stopped any quicker or felt any lighter as a result of any of the above :laugh:

OP
OP
simon the viking
Thanks for all the advice. Will probably wait until new mechs are required if ever... the 150 quid would have to be spent on 'invisible things' if you get my drift..... so no n+1 etc

Just cant be bothered having discussions about whether I really needed it when she thinks we need new dining room furniture, dishwasher etc

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New cables will also make the gears feel much better. If you want the bling then go DA.

What would you upgrade then and don't forget it would have to be 'invisible'
whilst i ponder this (can't help but think the bike is fine as it is) I think praps you need to channel your inner viking.

Assuming you have room for one can't you get/justify another type of bike?

Tourer?

A bike for pubbing/shopping, something that can be left (locked) without mega fears of it being nicked?

A winter bike.

Failing that, would a bike that powered the dishwasher be acceptable?

OP
OP
simon the viking
whilst i ponder this (can't help but think the bike is fine as it is) I think praps you need to channel your inner viking.

Assuming you have room for one can't you get/justify another type of bike?

Tourer?

A bike for pubbing/shopping, something that can be left (locked) without mega fears of it being nicked?

A winter bike.

Failing that, would a bike that powered the dishwasher be acceptable?
I've got an MTB that does winter commuting duties. If an N+1 was in the running it would probably be an an upgrade of that rather than the Propel as MTB is a sub £300 model, to improve the Propel would take significantly more money. I just don't want that conversation as both bikes are running well. I was just wondering if I could do a worthwhile upgrade for a lot less than the wheels I'd really want. 1K is a significant chunk of a Propel replacement so not worth the spend

Top Bottom