Upgrading 6speed Brompton to new style shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I've just replaced the "Rabbit Ears" 3 speed shifter on my 2015 Brompton with the Sturmy Archer indexed shifter

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/3-speed-sturmey-archer-sls30t-thumbshifter-hsj962/

It’s a good upgrade, I’ve done the same with my Mk2

BC249DA0-2E98-4987-A8B1-21EDD50F4D02.jpeg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I know this is an old thread but I've just changed my S3E to an S2E using the new style shifter and brake levers. A few things I found:

I agree with the posters above, the new cable anchor arrangement is sub-optimal. The old one wasn't great (I have it on an S6L) but the new one is worse, with sliding parts that will jam if dirty, and a clip-on part that likes to pop off if cable tension isn't quite to its liking. The brake cable housing can interfere with it, too.

The cable outer for the 2017+ S derailleur shifter is an inch too long and looks a right mess. Yes, it is the right one, I checked, and the cable is routed properly. I cut it down (and the inner by the same amount) and now it hangs and folds properly.

The shifter works ok. The huge advantage of the underbar design is that you can flip the bike upside down to fix a puncture, and not damage anything.

The brake levers don't feel or work any better than the old ones, and make sure you grease the barrel nipple - there is no longer a swivelling clevis/stirrup. I suspect this saves money for the cheesy Brompton logos on the back of the lever.

Pros: can stand bike on its back for repairs, the integrated design gives room for bar ends and (almost) full-width grips on an S-type. This last point was quite a biggie for me.

Cons: nothing really works any better, and the new derailleur cable termination would make Heath Robinson proud.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I know this is an old thread but I've just changed my S3E to an S2E using the new style shifter and brake levers. A few things I found:

I agree with the posters above, the new cable anchor arrangement is sub-optimal. The old one wasn't great (I have it on an S6L) but the new one is worse, with sliding parts that will jam if dirty, and a clip-on part that likes to pop off if cable tension isn't quite to its liking. The brake cable housing can interfere with it, too.

The cable outer for the 2017+ S derailleur shifter is an inch too long and looks a right mess. Yes, it is the right one, I checked, and the cable is routed properly. I cut it down (and the inner by the same amount) and now it hangs and folds properly.

The shifter works ok. The huge advantage of the underbar design is that you can flip the bike upside down to fix a puncture, and not damage anything.

The brake levers don't feel or work any better than the old ones, and make sure you grease the barrel nipple - there is no longer a swivelling clevis/stirrup. I suspect this saves money for the cheesy Brompton logos on the back of the lever.

Pros: can stand bike on its back for repairs, the integrated design gives room for bar ends and (almost) full-width grips on an S-type. This last point was quite a biggie for me.

Cons: nothing really works any better, and the new derailleur cable termination would make Heath Robinson proud.

Thanks - useful to know as I had considered doing the same as horrid plastic shifter offended my eye. I shall put up with it after all

berlinonaut

Veteran
Thanks - useful to know as I had considered doing the same as horrid plastic shifter offended my eye. I shall put up with it after all
Before deciding you should keep in mind that this is the opinion of one single user (and one that seems in general hard to satisfy and loves to moan about everything Brompton does, no matter what they do :whistle:). There are other opinions and experiences as well that differ vastly from this...

Personally I consider the post 2013 brake levers a huge improvement (and would say that is true for most people) and have retrofitted them to most of my Bromptons. I also consider the new 2-speed shifter a massive optical improvement and a usage improvement as well. Along with the new dogleg it also makes it way more convenient and way more easy to fit a new gear cable (an utterly annoying job with the old dogleg and shifter). The construction of the new dog leg itself seems indeed a bit half baken - here on the continent we would probably say "a very British piece of engineering". Could have done better but is not worse than it's predecessor in my eyes but better, apart from the possibility to hook out of the rear frame which - in case of a shifting failure - is not obvious as a root cause and thus may lead to some head scratching in case of trouble. But once you are aware of it fixing is a 2 seconds job and it does not happen often - to me in almost four years it happened once, on a friend's bike who was asking me for support.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Before deciding you should keep in mind that this is the opinion of one single user (and one that seems in general hard to satisfy and loves to moan about everything Brompton does, no matter what they do :whistle:). There are other opinions and experiences as well that differ vastly from this...

Personally I consider the post 2013 brake levers a huge improvement (and would say that is true for most people) and have retrofitted them to most of my Bromptons. I also consider the new 2-speed shifter a massive optical improvement and a usage improvement as well. Along with the new dogleg it also makes it way more convenient and way more easy to fit a new gear cable (an utterly annoying job with the old dogleg and shifter). The construction of the new dog leg itself seems indeed a bit half baken - here on the continent we would probably say "a very British piece of engineering". Could have done better but is not worse than it's predecessor in my eyes but better, apart from the possibility to hook out of the rear frame which - in case of a shifting failure - is not obvious as a root cause and thus may lead to some head scratching in case of trouble. But once you are aware of it fixing is a 2 seconds job and it does not happen often - to me in almost four years it happened once, on a friend's bike who was asking me for support.

To be fair the new brake levers, and indeed brakes are a huge improvement. Well, apart from the refusimg to release as yet (cable problem I think)

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You will need to cut an inch out of the brake cables (or buy a new cable set) if you change levers, especially if you don't have mudguards. The new levers hang a bit lower and the upturned curve of the front brake cable will miss the cable fender disc, rubbing on the front tyre in even slight turns.

The rear brake cable length is less critical, so you can leave it as long as it isn't worryingly close to the chainring.

u_i

Über Member
The construction of the new dog leg itself seems indeed a bit half baken - here on the continent we would probably say "a very British piece of engineering". Could have done better but is not worse than it's predecessor in my eyes but better, apart from the possibility to hook out of the rear frame which - in case of a shifting failure - is not obvious as a root cause and thus may lead to some head scratching in case of trouble. But once you are aware of it fixing is a 2 seconds job and it does not happen often - to me in almost four years it happened once, on a friend's bike who was asking me for support.

I absolutely hate the new 'anchorage'. After months of trying to bake its other half, I gave up and trashed it, deciding that it cannot be fixed. I went to old one and combined it with the straightforward aftermarket dogleg that has a screw for grabbing the end of the cable, such as here. In the past it was possible to buy such a dogleg separately from the rest that I do not care about.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Mine hasn't popped out since I shortened the cable a little. I think it was being pushed around the frame wire loop during folding.

I can see why Brompton redesigned it (changing a cable on the old type is fiddly, if logical), and they were constrained by the existing wire loop, but I'd like to think I could sketch out something better. Evidently the Chinese have, anyway.

By the way, the bell for the new levers is neat but almost inaudible. Not sure how that got through quality control. The old type actually worked.

Last edited:

u_i

Über Member
Mine hasn't popped out since I shortened the cable a little. I think it was being pushed around the frame wire loop during folding.

I can see why Brompton redesigned it (changing a cable on the old type is fiddly, if logical), and they were constrained by the existing wire loop, but I'd like to think I could sketch out something better. Evidently the Chinese have, anyway.

Aside from the popping out, I had problems with the new anchorage getting stuck due to dirt, with the cable fraying there, etc. As to the Chinese designed products, they often struggle, to say it mildly. However, when you try enough many times, from time to time you can hit close to the jackpot. It was not a complete jackpot as I needed to take the Chinese dogleg apart and make the entrance into the hole where the cable end is secured conical, so that the cable end got in there right away fine.

ExBrit

Über Member
Not steveindenmark, but there have been reports of shifting problems in high ambient temperatures, apparently due to plastics expanding. There's a YouTube video where a guy takes the shifter apart and abrades some parts to increase the clearances.
I ride in Southern California and I've never had a problem with my shifters. It's regularly 90F here. Unless you ride in Hell (doubt there are any Brommies in Hell), I doubt you will have a problem.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Unless you ride in Hell (doubt there are any Brommies in Hell), I doubt you will have a problem.
Eagerly looking for the according review. Could sound like:

"review by devil:
Bought a Brompton because it looked like a good torture. Went for the Black Edition as it perfectly fits our brand. Much to my disappointment the bike turned out not to be torturous at all and furthermore the shifters did not work well in out environment (we do have very high temperatures in hell, barely seen anywhere else, so acceptable that the the shifters are not optimized for our environment). Sold the bike on ebay and got a surprisingly high price for it. Would recommend the bike, but only for areas with temperatures below 200 degrees Celsius."
^_^

u_i

Über Member
"review by devil:
Bought a Brompton because it looked like a good torture. Went for the Black Edition as it perfectly fits our brand. Much to my disappointment the bike turned out not to be torturous at all and furthermore the shifters did not work well in out environment (we do have very high temperatures in hell, barely seen anywhere else, so acceptable that the the shifters are not optimized for our environment). Sold the bike on ebay and got a surprisingly high price for it. Would recommend the bike, but only for areas with temperatures below 200 degrees Celsius."
^_^

I can add an illustration from the testing site, fresh from the oven, i.e., last month. The Black Edition blended with the surrounding :rolleyes:.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I believe both Austria and Canada have a Hell, so there's a chance for someone to test it out. Kufstein in Austria also had a Cafe Hell by the river, ideal for your mid-ride cup of brimstone, but Google Maps suggests it's been renamed Inn Cafe.

ExBrit

Über Member
Eagerly looking for the according review. Could sound like:

"review by devil:
^_^
Dear Mr. Devil,
We're sorry to hear you had a problem with the shifters. While our saddles are certified hell-compliant, our shifters will tend to melt when in close proximity to molten lava, as will our tires. We're glad you were able to sell the bicycle. We're confident you will enjoy our bicycles when Hell freezes over.

Hugs and Kisses - Brompton support. :smooch::angel::bicycle:

Top Bottom