Upgrading an entry Bike - help much appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TwistedParsnip

Guys

I got a Carrera Zelos during the summer and so far I have amassed an unexpected and impressive (IMHO) 750 miles on it without much effort - i love the bike and am very happy with how it feels rolls etc - it is my first road bike and i expect to do a lot more mileage and sportiffs etc in 2019

My question is IF I did want to change a few things on the bike or even upgrade some components WHICH exactly would make the big improvements if i changed them?

Im currently still using the toe clips and appreciate that cleated shoes and spds are where I am going to make the first big step - thats being organised once I have done my research -any helpful advice onthat matter also much appreciated here lol

So - are wheels, tyres and chainset changes going to help me gain a few miles??

cheers in advance!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Sounds like a job for ‘N+1 Man’, our resident, forum superhero.

Drago

Legendary Member
Upgrade the tyres for light, better wearing ones. As bits wear out, such as the drivetrain, upgrading things like chain, cassette, chainrings to better quality ones won't cost much. Seat, bars and grips changed as required to get comfortable.

Beyond that, upgrading it in the pursuit of performance gains is simply pointless. It'd be cheaper to buy a better specced bike that start throwing wheels and things at it.

boydj

Legendary Member
Once you've got the pedals and shoes sorted, there's nothing worth changing until things start wearing out, except maybe the tyres for lighter ones, and the saddle for a more comfortable one (and that doesn't mean a more padded one).

It's more likely, once you've built up more miles that you'll be wanting a better bike overall, so it's not worth spending a lot on upgrades that you'll barely notice in performance terms.

(@Drago beat me to it)

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Look at better tyres, based on what your riding needs are - but if you're happy with the existing ones, wear them out first.

You'll almost certainly notice an improvement if you upgrade the brake blocks for better ones. From personal experience I'd recommend Swissstop ones, but there are others out there.

Other than that, as @Drago says above, if you're happy with stuff now replace it with something better when it's worn out. Just consider the cost of upgrades in relation to the bikes value as beyond a certain point you could move into territory where it makes more sense to put the money into a new bike.

Enjoy your bike!

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
As one newbie to another 750 miles nice one :okay:
I was lucky I had option to upgrade mine at pre build so ended up with a bike I know I am more then happy with and can change/upgrade as I need to. One area I did upgrade at pre build was tyres and wheels and I happy I did can't fault them. Like @NorthernDave say's upgrade your brake blocks it's quick and cheep improvement. Not done mine as they work well but once they need replacing I will be open to options.
As for clipless your not the only newbie yet to do that upgrade. ;)
What ever you do just remember it's still the best bike ever as it's yours and clearly it puts a smile on your face as do all our bikes. :smile:

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

Cheers Tom

What wheels and tyres did you opt for?

I really wouldn't bother, just ride your bike and save money. If your wanting more and getting more into cycling then by the time you know what you're looking for in a bike and can tell what's good etc you'll be able to get a bargain secondhand, and you'll be able to be in no rush as you already have a bike..

You won't notice much with those wheels you show, they're still heavy and basic.. get your spd's and maybe brake blocks/cables etc .. In all honesty, my sons defy isn't any faster than your zelos (they're £500) and my cube was £1250 new ( I bought when 2 years old with already upgraded wheels to pro-lite braccianos for £250) isn't really faster... but that said they ride completely in different leagues. .. you won't notice upgrades in speed as they come from the engine (you).

Just ride and you'll learn what you'd like to be different.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My experience of sailing may apply to cycling. I had a beat up, low end boat for years and I had to work really hard on good technique and handling skills to perform even vaguely to an average standard. And wow did I learn about maintenance. Then when I did eventually get my mitts on a decent boat, I stormed off to the front of the fleet.

Maybe consider using the bike till you can’t bare it any longer, sell it for a 3rd of the cost you paid, and then buy a new higher spec bike.

alicat

Legendary Member
Those wheels aren't branded and at that price are unlikely to be any better than the ones currently on your bike.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Those wheels look like they have freewheel hubs - I'd far prefer something with a cassette hub. But totally agree with the other opinions voiced here, tyres and brake blocks are definitely worth upgrading, the rest won't make the world of difference!

Spoons47

As a newbie also, I can promise you that going clipless, you will never look back. I just have very basic Shimano shoes and easy dummies guide spd pedals. My opinion is riding is more of a pleasure, less of an effort and comfortable.

Top Bottom