Upgrading an entry Bike - help much appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salar

A fish out of water
I don't know the bike, so cannot comment on the components.

However replacing anything that rotates with something lighter i.e reducing the rotating mass will reduce the effort needed, how much improvement gained in the real world is debatable.

si_c

Guru
Sounds like you are enjoying yourself :okay: As @Drago said before, don't worry about upgrading things. Perhaps some new tyres, and brake blocks, but otherwise just keep riding.

For me, I find Koolstop brake pads and Vittoria Rubino tires work well.

Good morning,

I'd vote with the others suggesting very few upgrades and although not directly answering your question,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdb7KEc7xJI

is an interesting video where some experienced riders compare a bike similar, but slightly more expensive than yours to a top of range bike and the conclusion is that you are not losing much with the cheaper bike unless you are very serious and very good.

Watching this may reassure you that you don't need to upgrade what you have, until want to.

Bye

Ian

Ajax Bay

Guru
Carrera Zelos Mens Road Bike
Edited spec (11kg all up):
Aluminium alloy frame with steel fork
Dropped handlebars
Gears: Shimano Tourney, 7 sp (50/34 and 14-28 freewheel)
Tektro R312 caliper brakes
Tyres: 622-25 Kenda K1018

To improve the OP's riding experience and make changes they can 'feel', and without avoiding the answer to the OP by saying 'replace', I'd reiterate some of the suggestions above:
Replace the tyres immediately, before the winter:
Tyres - when you need to replace them. Continental GP4000Sii .
Top choice.
These are a bit cheaper and don't have cosmetic tread patterns on them. Edit: Of course if the OP doesn't ride 'loadsamiles' then the 'original' Kendas can be substituted before sale or the good tyres left on to improve the chances of sale and a better price.
I think you'll have to stick to 25mm wide tyres as the opinion was that 28s would be too wide when this question was asked:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/i...tyres-700x28c-anybody-are-using-these.210300/
Brake pads have been quoted as an 'upgrade' but the OP has to ask themselves: 'has stopping been an issue?' If so replace the blocks. But seems unreasonable to spend £25 on brake blocks imo - note the OP would need shoes as well as pads.
I agree with those commenting above that choosing to replace pedals with clipless is the other change I'd make. Though this is a significant outlay (need to choose between spd or a 'road' type eg Shimano/Look Keo/other) and would include shoes and cleats, that 'system' can be taken on to the OP's next bike, whenever, so it is not a resource sunk into the Carrera.
Edit: £10 https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/boardman-road-team-pedals-look-keo-compatible.241114/
Getting higher gearing (which I am not advocating but for the OP's interest/info) would require replacing the rear wheel with one with a freehub (to allow the use of a cassette with a small sprocket less than 14t) but note the dropouts are 135mm OLN and most 'road' rear wheels are 130mm OLN.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I have a Carerra Zelos that got me going on the road, I did fit Michelin 25 mm tyres, Selle Italia saddle, slightly wider bars (comfort) however to turn it into a better bike was actually a waste of money, would need shifters, cassette, carbon fork, wheels brakes, after pricing that lot up I compared it to the end of season sell offs, for about £350 I dropped on a 9 speed sora spec Verenti Technique, was Wiggles in house brand, it knocks spots off the Carerra which is now on the turbo trainer, personally I would ride it, save some cash up & sell the Carerra and get the best spec bike you can afford, have a look at Decathlon for example to give you an idea of what’s available

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Folding tyres. Get your position right. Are you squirming forwards or backwards in the saddle when pedalling hard? If so, move the saddle so you aren't. Also ensure it is high enough - your knees should be just locked out if you sit in the saddle and put your (shoed) HEEL on the pedal when the crank is at the bottom of its stroke and in line with the seat tube.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a Carerra Zelos that got me going on the road, I did fit Michelin 25 mm tyres, Selle Italia saddle, slightly wider bars (comfort) however to turn it into a better bike was actually a waste of money, would need shifters, cassette, carbon fork, wheels brakes, after pricing that lot up I compared it to the end of season sell offs, for about £350 I dropped on a 9 speed sora spec Verenti Technique, was Wiggles in house brand, it knocks spots off the Carerra which is now on the turbo trainer, personally I would ride it, save some cash up & sell the Carerra and get the best spec bike you can afford, have a look at Decathlon for example to give you an idea of what’s available
I would agree, yes new tyres and clipless but at the end of the day any substantial upgrades would come at a cost especially if your not mechanically minded and have to pay LBS to do them for you.
I have just built a winter commuter bike on a carrera TDF frame, its a great sturdy ride but i am under no illusions that compared to my best bike its a bit of a lump when the road points upwards .

Last edited:
Top Bottom