upgrading brompton b75

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Anyone thinking to buy Brompton from Brompton website be prepared for a looooong wait. It seems they will take maximum 7 business days to ship it and might be another week to get it delivered to the store. It is already a week, and I see no progress. Weather lately was not for biking, so I thought people would order less bikes? Might be I will have to cancel the order if things will go such way?
That's not a particularly long wait, especially with current supply constraints. My Brommie ( CHPT3 ) took about four to six weeks to arrive at the shop, this was pre Covid.

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

That is not really an excuse. I went for standard model, zero customization, plus it was "in stock" on website. What are they selling- projected manufacturing plans of the future? :smile: Anyway given the weather don't see it riding it full time atm.

Anyone thinking to buy Brompton from Brompton website be prepared for a looooong wait. It seems they will take maximum 7 business days to ship it and might be another week to get it delivered to the store. It is already a week, and I see no progress. Weather lately was not for biking, so I thought people would order less bikes? Might be I will have to cancel the order if things will go such way?
Why would you cancel the order over something so trivial ? I've waited months for custom frames.

Back in the day anything mail order would be 'allow 28 days for delivery'.

It's a good bike. Well worth waiting a couple of weeks.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Why would you cancel the order over something so trivial ? I've waited months for custom frames.

Back in the day anything mail order would be 'allow 28 days for delivery'.

It's a good bike. Well worth waiting a couple of weeks.
Take a frame to Argos for respray...you might be able to pick it up in spring 2022 :laugh:

Worth waiting for, but not for the TikTok generation!

u_i

Über Member
My wife was not much into cycling so the maneuver was to buy her a Brompton as a birthday gift . She was just melting by it. Then a year or so later the moment came when she critically looked at what I was riding and pronounced the words 'You should get a Brompton too!' I waited no time to oblige.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My wife was not much into cycling so the maneuver was to buy her a Brompton as a birthday gift . She was just melting by it. Then a year or so later the moment came when she critically looked at what I was riding and pronounced the words 'You should get a Brompton too!' I waited no time to oblige.
Then you see a “ Flame Lacquer “ or similar gorgeous looking colour combination and think “ that would do for Sunday best “ 🤔😎😉

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

Instant gratification - are you a millennial?
Almost three weeks of waiting for "IN STOCK" bike is hardly an instant gratification. BTW, perhaps I should say the same to you when you will wait for hours to get petrol for your car or see empty shelves in a supermarket. Or even better - wait in a queue for a GP. The doctor will see you in 5 years time :smile:.

Reality is that it seems Brompton is overselling bikes that they cannot make on time. This is after they increased the prices a few times already. This is very bad news for everyone. It means that spare parts are luxury too and most of them will be not available.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Reality is that it seems Brompton is overselling bikes that they cannot make on time.
Yup. The incredibly lazy people at Brompton just refuse to make enough bikes. In 2019 they made about 55.000 Bromptons, in 2020 just 80.000 and in summer 2021 the passed the mark of 100.000 bikes made in 12 months. They are indeed lazy suckers and could have stocked gazillion of parts in advance to covid - would have been easy. How stupid are they that they have not? :whistle:

This is after they increased the prices a few times already.

Yeah, this is disgusting. In 1987 a 3L costed just GBP 209.88 and today it costs GBP 1145 whereas everything else ist cheaper than in 1987. How dare they?

This is very bad news for everyone.
Possibly not. Most people don't care.

It means that spare parts are luxury too and most of them will be not available.
"Most of them"? Is this the case? I cannot see that. While some parts are actually hard to get hold of due to the increase in demand in combination with Brexit issues and the covid-related problems with supply chains and a homemade problem with Brompton having switched to a new ERP internally (which did not work flawlessly as it seems) most parts seem to be available. So where did you get your information from? And how often do you need spare parts for your brand new bike that has not even been delivered? Which parts are you missing?

Possibly it may be better for your blood pressure to step back from your order - you are already constantly moaning and complaining and do not even own the product yet. How will that develop once you finally have the bike? :ohmy:

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
They do have stock, it’s just that other people have ordered before you, you just have to wait your turn.
Not to forget that the lack of lorry drivers for delivery of petrol to the stations, food to the supermarkets and goods from the harbours are probably not all employed by Brompton to deliver Bromptons - the will suffer from the same effect as everybody else.
If you’re not happy with the situation then cancel your order.
Could be a business model: The OP seems to be exactly the kind of "customer" that nobody wants. Maybe a lot of brands would pay him for not becoming a customer. Basically a new variant of making a living as an "influencer". :laugh:

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

Ha ha... :smile: I see a lot of Brompton shills here, just like on forum board of electronics company with fruit logo, where when you ask about the problem and they say " our fruit products never EVER break. You are delusional". Next thing you know the fruit logo company is hit by class action suit and they are forced to make repairs for free or give compensation because they made a product with a massive design flaw. I do understand that things are not perfect in life, but one thing is to charge the price that covers the making of a product, distribution, etc plus slim profit margin, and another is to charge as much as they can and have most of the price AS A PROFIT and still NOT DELIVER.

Brompton or any mechanical device will break. Nothing last forever. What I got from reading a manual and watching some owners on youtube is that clamps, chain, cogs and some other things wear out quite soon. These are still available as parts, but a lot of other bits are out of stock.

Brexit, lorry drivers have nothing to do with Brompton delivery. If it does, they should adjust the wording on their website- for example assembling the bike will take 3 months, shipping another 2 months and hopefully delivery will take less than a year. :smile: Then it is all clear for everyone. Instead they say that shipping to the store is "4-7 days" and "inspecting in the store is 3-5 days".

Bike finally shipped to the store, but only after I contacted the brompton about my order. So that was more than 3 weeks. Now the bike is in store waiting to be assembled (?) and that will take another 2 weeks. Does anyone know how bromptons ship to the store? Do you need to put anything more like pedal and seat post as with home delivery or it literally comes in parts?

Kell

Veteran
Instead they say that shipping to the store is "4-7 days" and "inspecting in the store is 3-5 days".

Bike finally shipped to the store, but only after I contacted the brompton about my order. So that was more than 3 weeks. Now the bike is in store waiting to be assembled (?) and that will take another 2 weeks. Does anyone know how bromptons ship to the store? Do you need to put anything more like pedal and seat post as with home delivery or it literally comes in parts?

In fairness, if they quote those times to you then you should have received it. Like I say, I didn't think much of a 3-week timeframe as mine was quoted as 8 weeks, and delivered in 6. I think it's always better to quote longer times and try and beat them than to be unrealistic upfront and disappoint people.

But in the current climate, it's possible that wherever you got that information from is now outdated and you're likely to get a more up-to-date estimate by calling. But that's just a guess.

Having said that, people are always excited by the minimum times quoted: in the instance above, many people (not saying you) would look at that and think they'll get their bike in a week.

But no doubt they are working days - and I always err of the negative - so I would have expected it to take at least 12 working days. Depending on when you placed your order, that could include three weekends so 16-18 days at best. But you should be able to pick it up after that. Not just have it delivered to the store.

I 'think' that the bikes come folded in a carboard box - some people ask to keep these. And I'm pretty sure it's just a PDI rather than any real assembly. So two weeks seems ridiculous.

Top Bottom