upgrading brompton b75

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

They are pricey, but now I'm very tempted to buy one. I think i need more time on one to figure out exactly the spec/options i'd want though.
The same with me. There are so many choices... I need to test one and also I might see if a few hundred quid foldable could work for me too.

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

Perhaps I need to reassess if I need a brompton to begin with. Might be £170 argos foldable could work too... Comes with mudguards and 6 speeds too!

mitchibob

Über Member
I test rode a S6L today from the brompton store in covent garden..... actually a really great bike!! i was expecting it to feel super sluggish and wobbly with the little wheels but it wasn't. Even after riding into London on my nice lightweight carbon road bike it still felt good.

Definitely. Trying the S model probably helped there. I liked the M bars for a long time, then after getting a road bike to be able to stick on a turbo, just in case lockdown prevented going out to train, my M6L felt a little too Mary Poppins, so switched it to JK Ergo S bars, and now feels just that little bit more natural position again, and still love riding, plus it's way more practical for shopping, etc.

Actually, luggage carrying for shopping or bike-packing is just way easier for me on Brompton than road bike, as I have small size frame, and have ruined one 14L backloader from it rubbing on the rear (never an issue with the brommie), but also just due to way front luggage is attached to the frame, so that it doesn't really affect handling.

They are pricey, but now I'm very tempted to buy one. I think i need more time on one to figure out exactly the spec/options i'd want though.

They are pricey, especially when compared to what the same cash can buy you in road bike terms. However, the practicality and fun? I still think my M6L (well, now a sorta S6L) is the best bike I've ever owned. But you definitely want to also budget to get some luggage, as it really does increase it's practicality no end.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Saw one in Halfords today. Add mudguards and some half decent pedals, and you have an M3L from a few years ago, in a nice colour. If I were in the market for an M-type and didn't have time to wait for a small ads bargain (I've never paid over £350 for a used one, and I've bought four over the years), I'd buy a B75 over an eBay M3L, any day.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Saw one in Halfords today. Add mudguards and some half decent pedals, and you have an M3L from a few years ago, in a nice colour. If I were in the market for an M-type and didn't have time to wait for a small ads bargain (I've never paid over £350 for a used one, and I've bought four over the years), I'd buy a B75 over an eBay M3L, any day.
It’s good to see supply picking up. It was frustrating to see speculators buying up stock just to resell on eebay. I do like the colour of the B75

mitchibob

Über Member
As I'm moving to Wales, might just have to sell my M2L, and just get a 2-speed back wheel to put in the, currently, S6L, just in case Urban Hill Climb happens. It's just that it was my first new bike in about 25 years. Has sentimental value, even if the 6-speed has done more of the kilometres. I guess it makes it less worn out though.

Tupsy

Newbie here. I was looking for a long time at Bromptons but never dared to pay so much money for a bike. But I am warming up to the idea of it. Unfortunately back in a day when I was looking at Bromptons, 3 speed bikes were at £1000 +, now even entry level B75 went up £100 to £850. At this point it should be called B85, not B75. In any case, I was wondering would it be possible to upgrade B75 to M3L equivalent and would it be worth more than £1290? I don't care much about seat, post or steering wheel upgrade, I think for a while it would be just fine. Folding pedal is not such a big issue either. I think the easiest parts are mudguards addition, but what I don't understand is shifters and brake parts. What exact parts would I need? Does anyone have issues with standard B75 shifter?
I bought a B75 in March this year. I loved the idea of the Brompton and wanted one but psychologically couldn't justify the price (or more accurately couldn't justify it to my wife 🤔) then I found that my local Halfords had one tucked away in in their back room. I had the £850 and was able to swing it with my wife and one click and collect later I had my very own Brompton! I have to stress I've never even ridden a Brompton before much less owned one but I knew I wanted one and I'm happy to say I'm not disappointed. I love it! I love the look of it, the engineering of it, the hand made in England heritage of it, the take anywhere compactness of it but especially the riding of it! It just puts a smile on my face every time I go for a ride. I've got a Brompton at an entry level I can afford. Yes you can get a Sub £200 Halfords folder but I don't see the point. Bigger, heavier, clumsy for commuting, same for taking into a shop or cafe. Might as well get a £10 bike lock and leave it outside, no one will look twice at it. Also if you have a mind to modify it's the perfect base Brompton. I left mine stock to start with, just enjoyed riding it. Now as I'm using it I'm figuring out what I want to mod or tweak here and there. First was the extended seat post. I'm on the shorter side at 5'6" and wanted the standard one. So I got a black standard length off ebay for £15 then sold my extended seat post on ebay for£12 so my black standard seat post ended up costing me £3! Next thing I went for was a Brooks flyer saddle and matching grips. Got a deal on the saddle for £80 and grips were. £49. Then I got a black folding pedal £25 and non folding £10 from different sights ( the pedal kept bashing my leg when I was carrying it around)
Now coming into winter I've picked up black front and rear mudguards ( you can probably see I'm liking the black theme, I think it's a nice contrast with the B75 colour)
What next? I don't know, easy wheels and an extender maybe? 🤔
I've never ridden the new Brompton so I don't know what I'm missing as far as the breaking, handling and different gear set up goes and I don't really care if my Brompton ends up costing me the same or more than the equivalent 2021 model because I'll have my own unique Brompton done the way I like it and as I can afford to do it!

12boy

Guru
I like SPDS (mine are flat on one side and SPDs on the other). A Brooks flyer looks nice but the rear elastomer does the same thing pretty much. and if you live in hilly terrain, a second chainring is nice as well.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I bought a B75 in March this year. I loved the idea of the Brompton and wanted one but psychologically couldn't justify the price (or more accurately couldn't justify it to my wife 🤔) then I found that my local Halfords had one tucked away in in their back room. I had the £850 and was able to swing it with my wife and one click and collect later I had my very own Brompton! I have to stress I've never even ridden a Brompton before much less owned one but I knew I wanted one and I'm happy to say I'm not disappointed. I love it! I love the look of it, the engineering of it, the hand made in England heritage of it, the take anywhere compactness of it but especially the riding of it! It just puts a smile on my face every time I go for a ride. I've got a Brompton at an entry level I can afford. Yes you can get a Sub £200 Halfords folder but I don't see the point. Bigger, heavier, clumsy for commuting, same for taking into a shop or cafe. Might as well get a £10 bike lock and leave it outside, no one will look twice at it. Also if you have a mind to modify it's the perfect base Brompton. I left mine stock to start with, just enjoyed riding it. Now as I'm using it I'm figuring out what I want to mod or tweak here and there. First was the extended seat post. I'm on the shorter side at 5'6" and wanted the standard one. So I got a black standard length off ebay for £15 then sold my extended seat post on ebay for£12 so my black standard seat post ended up costing me £3! Next thing I went for was a Brooks flyer saddle and matching grips. Got a deal on the saddle for £80 and grips were. £49. Then I got a black folding pedal £25 and non folding £10 from different sights ( the pedal kept bashing my leg when I was carrying it around)
Now coming into winter I've picked up black front and rear mudguards ( you can probably see I'm liking the black theme, I think it's a nice contrast with the B75 colour)
What next? I don't know, easy wheels and an extender maybe? 🤔
I've never ridden the new Brompton so I don't know what I'm missing as far as the breaking, handling and different gear set up goes and I don't really care if my Brompton ends up costing me the same or more than the equivalent 2021 model because I'll have my own unique Brompton done the way I like it and as I can afford to do it!

That sounds like you have / getting towards your perfect bike. To be honest I was very tempted by the B75 and if stock had been in my favour I would possibly have gotten one. I ended up ordering with a M6L which with the cycle to work scheme seemed reasonable.

But even with that I have bought the standard seat post, a Spa Nidd saddle and some new grips, I went for the Ergon Biocork GP1.

Have you got any pics of yours.

Tupsy

That sounds like you have / getting towards your perfect bike. To be honest I was very tempted by the B75 and if stock had been in my favour I would possibly have gotten one. I ended up ordering with a M6L which with the cycle to work scheme seemed reasonable.

But even with that I have bought the standard seat post, a Spa Nidd saddle and some new grips, I went for the Ergon Biocork GP1.

Have you got any pics of yours.
Yes and I'm really enjoying the process but to be honest I initially wanted a 6 speed and there was a M6L in black available at the time for I think £1275 but I'd never have been able to swing it with the Mrs. I'm happy it worked out this way, I like my little B75.
Yes I'll have to post some pics but at the moment it's in bits as I've purchased black handle bars and am just getting around to putting on the mudguards 😊

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

Went for a 6L brompton. It is not delivered yet. Will see if I made a good decision when I will have a first ride. The reason why I chose 6 speed vs 3 speed or b75 were availability. Purchasing procedure took a long time- first brompton website was not working on firefox, brave or opera browsers. It was not letting me check out for whatever reason. Then, after I figured out that windows browser will let me check out, bromptons were out of stock... They were out of stock everywhere- halfords, etc. Since I wanted to get 0% APR financing, I decided to wait till bikes become available on brompton website. Brompton with lighs and Cambium saddle were probably better deal bying from Brompton rather than buying from halfords and upgrading them later. Well, bromptons came back on brompton website, but unfortunately the price became higher... There was no B75 available. At this point I decided to go with 6 speed rather than 3 speed. The availability of colors were better for 6 speed model too. Some time before purchasing I went to Decathlon store and checked out their foldable bikes. I was impressed. I think the prices that they are asking for these bikes are really a bargain. Unfortunatelly bikes had one drawback- they were heavy as hell. I could barely lift them from a ground. Some models were made from steel, others were made from aluminium. I think they could offer better ride than brompton simply because of larger wheel size, but when folded they are neither portable nor light...

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

Anyone thinking to buy Brompton from Brompton website be prepared for a looooong wait. It seems they will take maximum 7 business days to ship it and might be another week to get it delivered to the store. It is already a week, and I see no progress. Weather lately was not for biking, so I thought people would order less bikes? Might be I will have to cancel the order if things will go such way?

Top Bottom