upgrading brompton b75

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yoho oy

Newbie here. I was looking for long time at Brompton for a long time, but never dared to pay so much money for a bike. But I am warming up to the idea of it. Unfortunately back in a day when I was looking at Bromptons, 3 speed bikes were at £1000 +, now even entry level B75 went up £100 to £850. At this point it should be called B85, not B75. In any case, I was wondering would it be possible to upgrade B75 to M3L equivalent and would it be worth more than £1290? I don't care much about seat, post or steering wheel upgrade, I think for a while it would be just fine. Folding pedal is not such a big issue either. I think the easiest parts are mudguards addition, but what I don't understand is shifters and brake parts. What exact parts would I need? Does anyone have issues with standard B75 shifter?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Newbie here. I was looking for long time at Brompton for a long time, but never dared to pay so much money for a bike. But I am warming up to the idea of it. Unfortunately back in a day when I was looking at Bromptons, 3 speed bikes were at £1000 +, now even entry level B75 went up £100 to £850. At this point it should be called B85, not B75. In any case, I was wondering would it be possible to upgrade B75 to M3L equivalent and would it be worth more than £1290? I don't care much about seat, post or steering wheel upgrade, I think for a while it would be just fine. Folding pedal is not such a big issue either. I think the easiest parts are mudguards addition, but what I don't understand is shifters and brake parts. What exact parts would I need? Does anyone have issues with standard B75 shifter?
Take a look at Brilliant Bikes YouTube channel. There’s a wealth of extremely useful Brompton specific information and tutorials on there, including a detailed explanation of the differences between the B75 and the “ standard “ model.

alicat

Legendary Member
All the B75 parts were standard in their day. If you're hankering for a Brompton, buy a B75 and upgrade anything you don't get on with. And remember, you're in the happy position of not having owned a 'better' Brompton so everything will probably feel just fine.

Kell

Veteran
In any case, I was wondering would it be possible to upgrade B75 to M3L equivalent.

Yes.

and would it be worth more than £1290?

Worth it to who?

It will be pitched at a price point that means you can't buy the cheaper bike and then upgrade it and it be worth more/the same as the bike you're copying - especially if you don't do everything.

As said above if you can get hold of a B75, run it, and upgrade the bits and pieces you don't like then that would probably be the most cost-effective way to do it.

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

Worth it to who?
Sorry, wrong expression. What I was trying to say is that I am looking cheapest entry to brompton world, but prefer buying brand new, rather than used (warranty, some sort of trial insurance (one national bike chain), payment plan etc. I actually never rode any type of brompton and might even like B75 as it is. The only upgrade that I would do for sure is adding mudguards. On other hand when just doing some math trying to mach specifications of more expensive model, it seems that £850 is just too steep starting price, especially when looking at availability of some parts and price increase on them. £750 would give more room between B75 and M3L model.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can sometimes find mudguards cheap on eBay. I got a full set of unused ones with Ti stays for £25 a couple of months ago. They were just missing the s/s clamps that hold the stays to the blades, but I had these already from a battered set. They can be bought as spares anyway.

alicat

Legendary Member
You can make a case for a Brompton B75 being too expensive at £850; however, unless you can persuade a vendor to give you a discount £850 is what you will have to pay. And some vendors will give a discount for having a membership card such as Cycling UK or just for asking nicely.

Why not go test ride one, you will love it or hate it and your problem will be solved either way....

Kell

Veteran
Sorry, wrong expression. What I was trying to say is that I am looking cheapest entry to brompton world, but prefer buying brand new, rather than used (warranty, some sort of trial insurance (one national bike chain), payment plan etc. I actually never rode any type of brompton and might even like B75 as it is. The only upgrade that I would do for sure is adding mudguards. On other hand when just doing some math trying to mach specifications of more expensive model, it seems that £850 is just too steep starting price, especially when looking at availability of some parts and price increase on them. £750 would give more room between B75 and M3L model.

I see what you mean now.

IMHO The brakes would be a worthwhile upgrade from the outset, and if you need mudguards then that's a must (I wouldn't run mine without them in the UK).

However, once the bike is yours, you can mod it in any way you see fit - so you don't have to go for Brompton brakes. I know other people have upgraded levers to non-oem parts and if you really wanted to you can fit pretty much anything (@chriscross1966 has some very exotic Campagnolo calipers and levers on (one of) his).

Even at £850 there's still a fair amount of wiggle room to get to the £1,290 that the M3L is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

You can sometimes find mudguards cheap on eBay. I got a full set of unused ones with Ti stays for £25 a couple of months ago. They were just missing the s/s clamps that hold the stays to the blades, but I had these already from a battered set. They can be bought as spares anyway.
It seems at the moment everyone is cashing in on parts shortage. Just a month +/- ago almost everyone were very low on brand new bromptons too. Now it seems they are coming back to main brompton website and other big box stores.

Kell

Veteran
You can make a case for a Brompton B75 being too expensive at £850; however, unless you can persuade a vendor to give you a discount £850 is what you will have to pay. And some vendors will give a discount for having a membership card such as Cycling UK or just for asking nicely.

Why not go test ride one, you will love it or hate it and your problem will be solved either way....

Don't you get a discount at Halfords for being a member of British Cycling? And if you do, does it apply to bikes?

Or, can you get one through a ride-to-work scheme?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The brakes don't need upgrading. I mean, my S6L has the old single-pivot rear brake (used until about 2008) and it works fine.

You are sort of stuck with Brompton brakes because they are bottom-pull. They are a bit cheesy with the hex nuts and bright zinc plated parts, and the lack of a QR function is really annoying, but they will stop you very quickly.

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

Well, I am looking at the payment plan thing... It seems B75 is offered on long term 0% APR in just one place. Brompton website does not offer financing for B75. Halfords do just 3 month 0%. Ride to work... Most people at work just bought bags on their own, so not sure on RTW scheme, but worth to check on that one...

Kell

Veteran
The brakes don't need upgrading. I mean, my S6L has the old single-pivot rear brake (used until about 2008) and it works fine.

You are sort of stuck with Brompton brakes because they are bottom-pull. They are a bit cheesy with the hex nuts and bright zinc plated parts, and the lack of a QR function is really annoying, but they will stop you very quickly.

Really? (apologies to @chriscross1966 for stealing his image).

20180728_094959-jpg.jpg

Also - I ran a hire Brompton for a month before buying mine. It had the old style levers and while they worked, they're nowhere near as good as the latter units.

That said, I still think the addition of discs would be an improvement over rims - especially in the winter.

l4dva

Guru
I test rode a S6L today from the brompton store in covent garden..... actually a really great bike!! i was expecting it to feel super sluggish and wobbly with the little wheels but it wasn't. Even after riding into London on my nice lightweight carbon road bike it still felt good.

They are pricey, but now I'm very tempted to buy one. I think i need more time on one to figure out exactly the spec/options i'd want though.

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

Really? (apologies to @chriscross1966 for stealing his image).

View attachment 603774
I think these kind of upgrades defy the purpose of folding bike. The only reason I am looking into brompton is because it folds very neatly and it is light bike. On other hand If I was able to have non foldable bike, then I would go for something inexpensive like halfords bottom of the range. Some of them have luggage racks, probably relatively safe to lock up outside and relatively reliable daily commuters.

Top Bottom