Upgrading Bug !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh no ! Like father like son....:biggrin:

As some of you know, I bought my son a new 'bigger' bike with gears a few weeks back - well it's had loads of use, and although it has bottle bosses, you can't fit a cage and bottle in the space between the tube set.

So off to decathlon we go - me looking at gloves, and also hoping to look for a 'child' size bottle cage.

Found a few pairs of gloves fopr me - reduced - end of season, bargan. Son then starts looking at the bottles/cages and we can't find a small bottle, although he spys a bottle cage that uses a side entry, rather than from the top...."Oh this will do Dad" - anyway with a little fettling (bending) it fits OK and will take one of his narrow bottles.

Anyway, we're browsing the bike stuff as you do, and my son says he wants new wheels (erm the bikes new) - "I would like some wheels where the spokes cut through the air"....oh no... Dad's road bikes have bladed spokes.... managed to diffuse the situation saying that Mountain Bikes don't normally come with bladed spokes as they aren't strong enough - well he's 7 and doesn't know that I'm talking rubbish...... quick escape before he sees anything else.....

Well that's the start of a long road....:biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Tell him something mysterious and obtuse, like "when you understand and work with the wheels, some new ones will choose you". Bound to do the trick, and he'll think you are some kind of cycling shaman (which you might well be)

ChrisKH

Guru
Yea, i've had that. Also at Decathlon I was trying on some bib shorts and I got "Dad, shouldn't I have some shorts like yours" (lycra, padded). Then it's "Dad, shouldn't I have a bike with round (drop) handlebars. Dad, what about these lights (when does he go out at night?). Dad, don't I need to get pedals like yours now?.........." :biggrin:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I've also had "why aren't there any racing bikes in my size"....argh....very much on the slippery slope now -

He apparently doesn't stop talking about his bike at school - the teacher knows all about it (feedback from parents evening).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
fossyant said:
although it has bottle bosses, you can't fit a cage and bottle in the space between the tube set.

I saw a kid today whose parents (I presume) had used part of a minoura space grip, and mounted the drink cage onto the handlebars. I thought I might try investigating that sort of thing for my youngest.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Oh, yeh had to get lights when we bought the bike - the shop only had SMART ones - ok bottom of the range, but still £12 - like he never goes out at night, although had to ride round the close in the dark to test them.. And in Decathlon he was trying on the kids cycling mits - "oh these fit" - not at £10 they don't !

Buy the poor fella another bike fossy - you know it makes sense to train up your children to observe good practice! :biggrin:
"Oh - and Dad...I really need a workstand to help me restore that bike I've seen on eBay..."

ChrisKH

Guru
fossyant said:
Oh, yeh had to get lights when we bought the bike - the shop only had SMART ones - ok bottom of the range, but still £12 - like he never goes out at night, although had to ride round the close in the dark to test them.. And in Decathlon he was trying on the kids cycling mits - "oh these fit" - not at £10 they don't !

"Nay lad, the Aldi ones will fit you fine." (And they do!).

Of course Decathlon do an entry level racing bike for kids as well........:biggrin:

wafflycat

Beware! You'll end up like me! The offspring has two Cervelo Soloists, the Zipp wheels, the carbon Pro missile bars, the Campagnolo attire and the Oakley shades...

I have the second-hand Bianchi and the Lidl clothing..

Do not say you have not been warned!

lazyfatgit

summerdays said:
I saw a kid today whose parents (I presume) had used part of a minoura space grip, and mounted the drink cage onto the handlebars. I thought I might try investigating that sort of thing for my youngest.

I had a similar problem with the Y frame on my daughter's giant. I picked up platic bottle cage with a rotatable clamp in tesco. It's not great, i had to add some tape to the bars to stop it rotating down, but she's happy enough with it.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Hold on, he isn't upstaging me....no way...the time he takes the 'BLUE' (HERETY) bike out will be his last.......that's a one off..... next purchase is another bike for ME, about 2 years away...... though !

He's got the bug, and I think we'll both be off doing bits of the canals or trans pennine near home this year.....so long as I can find where the access point to the trans pennine is near my house - only half a mile away - bit young to get on the roads here - too busy.. !

Keith Oates

Janner
wafflycat said:
Beware! You'll end up like me! The offspring has two Cervelo Soloists, the Zipp wheels, the carbon Pro missile bars, the Campagnolo attire and the Oakley shades...

I have the second-hand Bianchi and the Lidl clothing..

Do not say you have not been warned!
I was impressed until you got to the Campagnola bit;)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom