Upgrading Cannondale Optimo wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
By the way here’s a link to some I bought a few years ago to prove it,
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/superstar-elite-30-ultra-wheelset.178881/

Ha, the second post on that thread. :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
What’s wrong with the stock ones? At 95kg, I wouldn't get anything with under 32 spokes if riding rough UK roads
What tyres are you using? Lighter ones might give you more benefit for £50 or so

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
What’s wrong with the stock ones?
What tyres are you using?

I've not switched them yet but probably either Michelin Pro4 Endurance or one of the Schwalbe Ones. That might be enough of a change for now, was just looking at whether wheels would be worth it on the budget I had.

One thing I do like about the heavy wheels and Marathon Plus on my commuter bike is the flywheel effect, once it's up to speed, but I'm looking for something different on this bike.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
God don't put M+ on anything (well a commuter if you must). Awful heavy sluggish slippery things

After a few weeks you forget what a real bike feels like. :smile: Never punctured in 5 years, which is worth it for me, having fixed too many punctures in the freezing dark while trying to get to/from work. Still did a century on them though.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Rather swiftly and successfully though - which goes to show that most of these pointless "upgrades" are completely wasted on most riders. You can spend a ton of cash on the lightest this and the most aero that - and an old-school rider on an old-school steel bike would still leave you for dead.
That's why some of us need all the help we can get. I tried keeping up with our club riders while riding a heavy bike it was hard.. But do not have a problem on my lightweight bike.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I see @Yellow Saddle is still peddling the same old bol##cks, he’s been doing it for years.
He has. Years and years.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That's why some of us need all the help we can get. I tried keeping up with our club riders while riding a heavy bike it was hard.. But do not have a problem on my lightweight bike.

Isn't that just nature's way of telling you that you are getting older and need to slow down a bit? If you are mostly riding with people who are half your age, it's not surprising if you find they tend to go a bit faster than you. What's the logical conclusion to the need to maintain speed, a doctored e-bike?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Isn't that just nature's way of telling you that you are getting older and need to slow down a bit? If you are mostly riding with people who are half your age, it's not surprising if you find they tend to go a bit faster than you. What's the logical conclusion to the need to maintain speed, a doctored e-bike?
Why do have to slow down when you get old. I will ignore the e bike bits. That's just for lazy. Or people with a disability. People will always be faster on a lightweight bike than they would on a heavy bike. If there was no advantage on a lightweight bike.why do the pro's use them?

si_c

Guru
You can build your own wheels for about £200 and they'll be reasonably light and good quality wheels too not to mention that it's a great skill to learn. You need to do a lot of reading beforehand though really.

My current commuter wheelset is largely Shimano Hubs (~£70) - DT Swiss R460db rims (~70) add another £50 or so for spokes and nipples.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Yeah I took the wheels off to check the brake pads and they were already way lighter than anything I've had before. Got tyres, could do with a longer stem and mudguards, that'll probably do for now.

Top Bottom