Upgrading components on a 531 frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Manonabike said:
Can anyone tell me if ferrules for outer brake cable can be used with outer gear cables?
Aren't they slightly bigger - so yes? And cable guide - longer side carries front changer cable around bottom bracket.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
youngoldbloke said:
Aren't they slightly bigger - so yes? And cable guide - longer side carries front changer cable around bottom bracket.

Thanks for the reply but can you be a little more specific.... "so yes?" You mean it's ok to use brake's cable ferrules with gear cable. Or are you asking me to confirm the ferrules are slightly bigger?

I'm guessing "front changer" is the front dereailleur.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
youngoldbloke said:
Correct re 'front changer' - ferrules: Gear are 4mm and brake 5mm - for discussion see http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-299468.html
They cost next to nothing so why not get both as appropriate to cable housing.

Thanks for the link.

I'm trying to finish the cabling without a trip to Halfords :tongue: only place to find those on a Sunday, around here. Also, I have a few aluminium ferrules which I thought would last longer.

I'll get some tomorrow.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Manonabike
Just spotted your latest posts - been too busy building wheels, now THAT is serious addictive.

How's it all going ? I guess if you are on to cables you are nearly finished?

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Yes, nearly there. Just waiting for the read dereilleur that ordered before Xmas and the seller finally agreed to send me another one.

So far so good - the only pending issue I have at the moment is headset needs a tiny bit of more adjustment for which I need another 32mm spanner. I only got the frame back on Friday so I haven't had time to go shopping for something suitable :-)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Manonabike said:
Excellent tip!!! There a Toolstation about 4 miles from my house so I will get one tomorrow.... any other useful spanner for cyclist to get from there?

Thanks for the tip

Have a good look through their catalogue - I bought 2 of those spanners for plumbing work then found them perfect for adjusting the headset on my steel Peugeot - can't think of anything I have bought from there specifically for bike use except a carborundum hacksaw blade to use for cutting carbon fibre.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
I got the rear deraileur this morning in the post.... after about 3 weeks :blush:

This afternoon I installed it and adjusted the gears.... no problems with that BUT I run into a problem adjusting the front deraileur :blush:.... and the problem is with the front shifter. My guess is that the shifter has some kind of return mechanism, probably a spring which is not longer working :blush: ..... If I put the head of a screwdriver where you insert the cable and then I shift from the small to the largest chainring (front deraileur disconnected) the shifter will click and move to the correct position, however, without the screwdriver head there is no click and no movement- pressing the lever to return to the small chainring will also work as normal.

Is there anyway I can get the shifter fixed by myself or perhaps my LBS? I'm sure this has happened before and maybe there is a no so difficult fix.

I'd appreciate any advise

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
My thanks to everybody in this thread that helped me to select the parts for my bike upgrade.

A list of parts that I replaced

Shimano R550 wheels
Nitto Deluxe 19cm tall quill stem
Camapgnolo Veloce 10 speed ultrashift shifters
8 speed Shimano HG50 11-32 casstte
Shimano 105 long cage rear derailleur
Shimano 105 triple front derailleur
Shimano 105 triple chainset

A few pictures of the finished upgrade .

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
I've not had so much fun in years!!!! It's something that I'd like doing again and again :biggrin:

Yeap, I broke the £300 by £70. There were things I had not anticipated like new pedals - I had pedals that were fine but as I said before, perhaps in another thread, my LBS fitted them and made sure I would not remove them again ;) - after 2 broken spanners and one Allen key I gave up and bought new pedals :biggrin:. I sold a few of the parts.... dereailleurs, cassettes, stem and made the £70.

GrahamG was a big help in my decision to go for Campagnolo shifters..... I've read a few pages of people on both sides of the debate Shimano Vs Campy shifters and like everything people do have a preference for one or the other which is good. The world would be so boring if everybody had the same taste :thumbsup: in things.

The terrible thing now is that I don't want to get the bike dirty :thumbsup: - I do a lot of riding on the promenade and the sand gets in everywhere.... I spend lots of time cleaning lol now I'm planning to venture into new routes and further away from home. I want to ride the London Bournemouth ride in July :ohmy: I've never done anything like that in my life lol - I don't even know how to ride in a group :laugh: - my plan is to build my stamina and learn to ride and refuel for long rides. If I can do that for 80 or 90 miles I think I can do the 118 miles on the day. I'm not terribly bothered about the time I take, I just want to finish.... later, if I still want to do others, I will worry about timing :biggrin:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Do you fancy the IOW Randonnee on it?
Bit shorter than the London-Bournemouth, but maybe hillier.

There's a bunch coming down from London area for it.... but I might have more chance of keeping up with you.

Top Bottom