Upgrading from 7 speed to 9 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A lovely bike @Shearwater Missile

View attachment 471739

My San Remo. :wub:

Since i got it in 2017, I got a set of wheels custom made by the legendary Al at Wheelcraft, Ultegra brakes fore and aft, and the Specialized Targa saddle off my hybrid. Everything else is as it was when it rolled out the factory all those years ago. Same front and rear mech, shifters, handlebars and stem.

That is a nice bike. I think it is fair to say that when I bought mine in 2010 they skimped in a few areas to keep the cost down. One was the horrid wheel which broke spokes not long after I bought it (poor build), that is why they were replaced. The seat post clamp looked cheap as did the stem. They are both Cinelli Vai now. The handlebars I only really replaced because I thought that they were too wide (bike sizing and parts like that have a lot to answer for) so changed them to Deda with a shallower drop. The RD I changed in the mistaken belief it was worn and causing gear changing problems. The saddle was changed after I got knocked off and it was damaged. Bottom bracket is still original. The only other part I would change would be the brake calipers, say to 105 but they are OK at the moment.
Where was the photo of your bike taken ? No doubt a climb !

OP
OP
the_craig

the_craig

Über Member
The photo was taken at the top of Lowther Hill in the Scottish Borders at the end of May this year.

Yeah, I think the bike is were built to a price point and whole it is expensive, that's half the fun of owning the bike is that I can shop for upgrades and modern bits - hence why I created the thread.

The photo was taken at the top of Lowther Hill in the Scottish Borders at the end of May this year.

Yeah, I think the bike is were built to a price point and whole it is expensive, that's half the fun of owning the bike is that I can shop for upgrades and modern bits - hence why I created the thread.
That looks like good cycling countryside, always sure of a few hills.
Before I bought mine I had considered a Specialized Allez for about the same price, that was red ( I know it sounds daft) but I liked the look of the CB. At that time I only saw one review of it and it scored I think 8/10, criticising the wheels and overall weight. As you said, half the fun is upgrading. After seeing how good yours looked in the picture I thought that I`d clean mine as I have been out several times in the wet without being cleaned other than the chain. She has come up like new !

OP
OP
the_craig

the_craig

Über Member
So getting back on topic, I’ve got myself a new sora 9 speed derailleur, an 11-34 cassette, KMC X9 chain and a new pair of shifters. I was planning on getting the R3000 shifters but I found a pair of barely used 3500 shifters for £40 posted, which I thought was a bit of a bargain. I’ve also picked up new cables.

I’ve got a few things on over the next couple of days, so on Friday, I’ll get everything fitted and hopefully get out to play over the weekend.

OP
OP
the_craig

the_craig

Über Member
I got away from work early tonight so decided to upgrade from 7 speed to 9 speed tonight.

I fitted my cassette, derailleur, and shifters. I also fitted my new chain and picked up some fresh cables. Even managed to index the rear and the front derailleurs so I am feeling rather smug.

So, I’ve managed to do what I set out to but how much did it cost?

I had a spare 34-11 cassette in the shed, so gave that a good scrub. - £0
Sora medium cage RD and chain - £32
Sora 3500 shifters - £40
Cables - £8.

So I’ve managed to upgrade my 13 year old clunker for the grand total of £80. But what I’m most happy with is that I fitted and adjusted everything on my own. That is the true satisfaction of this. But thanks to everyone for their help.

And I’m going to take @Shearwater Missile advice and start a Claud Butler fanboy thread.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I got away from work early tonight so decided to upgrade from 7 speed to 9 speed tonight.

I fitted my cassette, derailleur, and shifters. I also fitted my new chain and picked up some fresh cables. Even managed to index the rear and the front derailleurs so I am feeling rather smug.

Sora 3500 shifters - £40
Cables - £8.

So I’ve managed to upgrade my 13 year old clunker for the grand total of £80. But what I’m most happy with is that I fitted and adjusted everything on my own. That is the true satisfaction of this. But thanks to everyone for their help.

And I’m going to take @Shearwater Missile advice and start a C.aus Butler fanboy thread.
:bravo:

Upgrades are fun, I took this late 80s early 90s frame up to 10 speed Campagnolo,

DSCN0055.JPG

I daren't even think what it cost though, mind you I fitted new wheels too and they were a bargain (£400 including freewheel) :whistle:

Glad all sorted and pleased with the result. I only wished that when I replaced my RD that I`d gone to a medium cage in order to fit a larger cassette. Still, I can always do that in the future as I have no intention of selling my Claude Butler. One question I will ask though is... Do you get an intermittent problem of not changing gear properly on the RD ? Mine has done it ever since I have had the bike, that`s why I changed the RD thinking that was the culprit. I have course have changed cables etc, the only part I hav`nt changed are the shifters. My other bike which has 105 is spot on. I just put it down to a Sora trade off.
Enjoy the rides.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Ah, thanks for that. Thought it was Great Dun Fell in the background and was going to ask where the hell the picture was taken from!

Sora 3500 shifters - £40
Cables - £8.

And I’m going to take @Shearwater Missile advice and start a Claud Butler fanboy thread.
well done craig for giving the bike a new lease of life and not just buying another, which might have been less suitable in so many ways. Having fettled the bike you will also be very in tune with it. My favourite day to day bike is an old 7 speed taken to a 9.

OP
OP
the_craig

the_craig

Über Member
well done craig for giving the bike a new lease of life and not just buying another, which might have been less suitable in so many ways. Having fettled the bike you will also be very in tune with it. My favourite day to day bike is an old 7 speed taken to a 9.

Cheers dude!

I always toy with idea of a new bike but my main concern is an environmental one. Importing aluminium or steel needed to made the frame to a factory in Taiwan, along with wheels and other components before assembling it and putting it on a ship to the UK, before delivering it to a bike shop and onto me must have a huge environmental impact, not just for transportation but to get the materials.

Why do that when I can keep a perfectly serviceable bike on the road and while I need components, that has a lesser impact than a full bike.

Drago

Legendary Member
Nice work. I'm about to embark on a similar project fonverting my Pinnacle to 10 speed. Just need the brifters and I'm good to go - may go the Microshift route for those.

The bike is otherwise virtually unmarked, so it's a waste of cash and resources to replace it with a new machine solely to get 10 speed on my general use bike

OP
OP
the_craig

the_craig

Über Member
Nice work. I'm about to embark on a similar project fonverting my Pinnacle to 10 speed. Just need the brifters and I'm good to go - may go the Microshift route for those.

The bike is otherwise virtually unmarked, so it's a waste of cash and resources to replace it with a new machine solely to get 10 speed on my general use bike

Exactly my thoughts. I used to watch videos online and think that I needed a 12 speed, Di2, carbon fibre £12k superbike which would feel like a tool, cold and with no personality.

Whereas, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have developed a deep emotional bond with my bike as I've revived it and improved it. However it has improved me as a cyclist a whole lot more.

I just hope it loves me like I do it. I sure it does.

Good thread.
As my new shoulder is currently regressing, it looks like the Scott roadie has to go. I'd thought this before, then changed my mind. But I'm back to that idea.
So, the old Trek mtb, already moved from 7-speed 13-30 to 8-speed 11-34, will get 9-speed 11-36, and, if needed, smaller chainrings as well. Plus a large elevation toward sit-up-and-beg position to take weight off arms. Sticking with the 50mm City Jets, but only because they don't make them BIGGER!

Mr Celine

Discordian

Nice bike, nice photo, but not in the Scottish Borders. Looks more like Green Lowther, which is in South Lanarkshire, looking towards Lowther Hill which is on the boundary between S Lanarkshire and Dumfries and Galloway.

Top Bottom