Upgrading from BB7 cable to Shimano hydraulic RS505 compatibility issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Hello all

I have managed to acquire a set of Shimano RS505 Hydraulic shifters and callipers. I have a Pinacle Arkose 3 2015 which has BB7 cable brakes which I believe are post mounted.

I think that the RS505 calipers are flat mount.

So does this mean that the new RS505 will not fit my frame? If not is there an adaptor?

If the RS505 will not fit and there is no adaptor will I need to sell the RS505 callipers and buy something else like RS685?

Appreciate any help.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
You can get adaptors easily that convert from side mount (IS) to post mount and vice versa. The Mount adapter needs to be for the correct size rotor (disc) Just type in brake mount adapter in eBay, Amazon or ask at a good LBS. Should only be a few £

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

You can get adaptors easily that convert from side mount (IS) to post mount and vice versa. The Mount adapter needs to be for the correct size rotor (disc) Just type in brake mount adapter in eBay, Amazon or ask at a good LBS. Should only be a few £

Thanks for the reply. Is side mount the same as flat mount that the RS505 is?

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Screenshot_2016-03-20-19-12-49.png
Not sure what you mean by flat mount. The two main fittings are Post and IS and adapters will convert either.
See the pics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-20-19-12-29.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-20-19-12-29.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 89

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I'm clearly no expert but this seems to be flat mount:

Shimano-BR-RS805-flat-mount-standard-brakes04.jpg
That is indeed a flat mount. Never seen one before but vaguely remember that it is a new Shimano design that they have left as open source so other manufacturers can copy it. I think SRAM were planning to....
Not sure about adaptors but if they have not been made yet - they soon will be. Chain Reaction Cycles have a good range of adapters so have a search on there or always worth looking on SJS Cycles website because they stock all sorts of hard to get parts.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Thanks for all the help. After lots of searching I could find lots of brackets/adaptors but nothing that seemed to go from flat mount caliper to post mount frame so I have cancelled the order.

Top Bottom