Upgrading from giant defy 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rock bus

Über Member
after some advice..I’m thinking (ie haven’t told the mrs!) of treating myself to a new bike.
I’ve currently got a giant Defy composite 2 which is probably about 5 years old.

It‘s going to have to be 2nd hand so I get more for my money and looking to spend under £1k.

what sort of makes and models do you think I should be on the look at for which would make it a worthwhile upgrade for that price?

vickster

Legendary Member
What are you wanting to upgrade?
Get some new wheels and tyres for the Defy?

DSK

What do you use it for / intend to use it for?
What features are a must?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
A good question that I can't answer, as any suggestions from me would be based on an understanding of why you want a new bike, what you want it to do, which features you fancy, and if those can be delivered cheaply via the 2nd hand market in a meaningful way.

For example, if I had a Defy2 composite, reasons for wanting a new bike would be improved tyre clearance, disc brakes, or something suitable for riding in the winter that has good mudguard mounts , alternatively I might need a frame that fits me better, or I just want something faster and lighter?

plastic_cyclist

I am in the same boat, but not quote as urgent, the reason for anyone wanting a new bike as an upgrade is mainly about having something shiny and new to look forward to after this lockdown rubbish !! Well that's my main reason !

I have a Tricross and want something faster and lighter with disc brakes. The Tricross will then become the winter bike. Also, as the Tri was a hand me down, my upgrade will be from my LBS where I can be fitted for it properly as I imagine this makes a world of difference to performance and shaving minutes off them Strava sectors.

I would advise you go to the LBS guys. Probably not what you want to hear.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am in the same boat, but not quote as urgent, the reason for anyone wanting a new bike as an upgrade is mainly about having something shiny and new to look forward to after this lockdown rubbish !! Well that's my main reason !

I have a Tricross and want something faster and lighter with disc brakes. The Tricross will then become the winter bike. Also, as the Tri was a hand me down, my upgrade will be from my LBS where I can be fitted for it properly as I imagine this makes a world of difference to performance and shaving minutes off them Strava sectors.

I would advise you go to the LBS guys. Probably not what you want to hear.
No it doesn't unfortunately...training and ability does that. It would hopefully sort out any discomfort and reduce the risk of injury though (not guaranteed either)

vickster

Legendary Member
Could this be why I get knee pain occasionally ?
Could be. Where in the knee? Front, probably because the saddle is too low.
saddle being too far forwards or back relative to crank can cause knee pain.
If you clip in, cleats could be in wrong place.

https://blog.mapmyrun.com/5-causes-and-cures-for-knee-pain-in-cyclists/

Check your fit but also your flexibility, get stretching those calves, hamstrings, quads, glutes, hip flexors...all of those being tight can contribute to knee pain

or if like me, you could just have a knackered knee:unsure:

if you do have joint issues, get a physio to do the assessment and fit, not some bloke with a fancy computer in a bike shop with limited experience or medical training ;)

Last edited:

plastic_cyclist

Could be. Where in the knee? Front, probably because the saddle is too low.
saddle being too far forwards or back relative to crank can cause knee pain.
If you clip in, cleats could be in wrong place.

https://blog.mapmyrun.com/5-causes-and-cures-for-knee-pain-in-cyclists/

Check your fit but also your flexibility, get stretching those calves, hamstrings, quads, glutes, hip flexors...all of those being tight can contribute to knee pain

or if like me, you could just have a knackered knee:unsure:

if you do have joint issues, get a physio to do the assessment and fit, not some bloke with a fancy computer in a bike shop with limited experience or medical training ;)

Yes in the front of the knee, I will higher the seat. I clip in with SPD's - however, I am the worlds most inflexible human - haven't been able to touch my toes for decades.

plastic_cyclist

after some advice..I’m thinking (ie haven’t told the mrs!) of treating myself to a new bike.
I’ve currently got a giant Defy composite 2 which is probably about 5 years old.

It‘s going to have to be 2nd hand so I get more for my money and looking to spend under £1k.

what sort of makes and models do you think I should be on the look at for which would make it a worthwhile upgrade for that price?

Also, going back the OP's main question - do you have any brands which you favour ? Like Cannondale, Trek or Specialized Allez ?
If you like the look of certain brands, then a LBS may offer you one which you don't really like the look of (or dislike the brand), then although you know its the right bike set up for you, you don't really want it !!

Top Bottom