Upgrading old mudguard with Secu-clip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have an old front guard which has 4 *separate* stays, each with a loop end. (so 2 loops are attached to the bolt that screws into eachl ower fork-leg)

Has anyone managed to upgrade this setup to use Secu-clips? They are usually supplied with new mudguards that have the "1-piece"* type of stay , and my fettling suggests they work much better with that design!
*(i.e. a single piece of wire is bent into a "V", and both ends attach to a different fitment on the mudguard)

PapaZita

Guru
I think you would need also to replace the stays with the “V” type. The shape of the “V” stay, at the bend, engages with the clip in such a way that it releases when required.

D

Deleted member 1258

I think you would need also to replace the stays with the “V” type. The shape of the “V” stay, at the bend, engages with the clip in such a way that it releases when required.

Thats what I did when I fitted secu clips to one of my bikes.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you make sure the straight ends are not burred and tighten the eye-bolts only enough to just hold the guard in place, they should release when forced. Test by giving the mudguard a sharp tug, obviously without breaking it.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If you make sure the straight ends are not burred and tighten the eye-bolts only enough to just hold the guard in place, they should release when forced. Test by giving the mudguard a sharp tug, obviously without breaking it.
Sounds like a recipe for the eye-bolt nuts coming loose and vanishing to me.

Top Bottom