Upgrading to proper Road Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^
£9.49 + new shoes + two sessions (or shoe hire for two sessions) = wtf
Yeah! Obviously wasn't planning on knackering my shoes.

They were my summer shoes, so I wasn't planning to wear them outside now until next year, but thought they'd be ideal for the track. Problem now is they're fit for nowt.

I'll have to ask Father Christmas to bring me some new shoes, unless Lake respond favourably to the email I've sent them, doubt it though.

Zakalwe

Friends have extolled the virtues of fancy roadie clipless (i.e. look keo, spd-sl etc) as they claim the reduced float, stiffer base and greater surface contact is better for more serious riding, and I can kind of see where that comes from. But is that perhaps nonsense?

Reduced float is a matter of preference - you'll get more float from a Speedplay than anything else and Wiggo just rode them to a tour victory, reduced float isn't for everyone. Stiffer base depends on your shoes. Surface contact is only an issue if you fern your current shoes are too narrow in the contact area.

If you find a shoe set up that works for you, for gawds sakes stick to it ;)

Nebulous

Guru
I have the 105 spd-sl pedals and specialized BG Elite shoes. Around £140 all-in. I really like the set-up and the pedals are still free turning after 20 months and about 7,000 miles. I use the yellow cleats and find they last longer than people say - close to a year. Like many people though I have nothing to compare it with and might find others just as good or better.

antonypo

Regular
can i ask a few basic questions. I have normal pedals and am ruining my trainers. Can you recommend a pair of velcro type touring shoes which will not slip on normal pedals for a reasonable price? Also I am size 9. Would this still be the case in touring shoes? Evans have a pair of shimano tourers but the web says not for normal pedals for some reason.

vickster

Legendary Member
You'll need something with a grippy sole​
I have some Specialized Sonoma shoes with no cleats, bought to wear with normal pedals but they have smooth slippy soles so aren't great​
Try Milletts ir similar. Or something like these? http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-mt42-spd-shoes-brown-prod21266/. That said, they appear to have nocover over the cleat holes which might be poor off the bike​
Not entirely sure what touring shoes are​
With bike shoes, they can come up small, so you may want to order a 44​
Why not give SPDs a go? Can get pedals with cleats for around £20​

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look Delta on my road bikes. Been using them years, add that to a five year old pair of Spesh Pro Carbon shoes. Both pedals were top end in their time, campag record carbon looks and a set of Look Carbo Pros.

jann71

Veteran
I had shimano spd sl and hated them. Have used Spds on other bikes for years.
As the road shoes were £90, I have now changed to look keo easy and love them. :smile:

antonypo

Regular
Sorry to be so naive but what are SPD'S Are they clips? I dont want to be tied to the pedals. I think its dangerous on traffic ridden roads. If you fall off you can hurt yourself if you dont get out of them in time.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Sorry to be so naive but what are SPD'S Are they clips? I dont want to be tied to the pedals. I think its dangerous on traffic ridden roads. If you fall off you can hurt yourself if you dont get out of them in time.

"clipless" or clip-in pedals. Easier to get in and out of than the old toe clips. I use them on most of my bikes, some of which I fall off of fairly frequently (I dabble in cyclocross), mostly my feet find a way out without me having to think about it.

Tight Git

Veteran
Those shoes won't fit spd as they are spd-sl which is a different fitment. The cleat (plastic bit) screws onto the sole using the holes. Spd have 2 holes and the sl 3 holes.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
ive seen a a pair of muddyfox http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-rbs-carbon-mens-cycling-shoes-144017 but they seem to have just screws sticking out of them. how do they fit spd peddles. Also they quote spd -sl. Are there different types of fit or is this spd? Ive tried them on in the shop and they fit great especially with the ratchet top. Secondly what are the best spd peddles to fit please. KEEN TO TRY NOW !!!

That type of shoe design is good for road riding where you don't need to walk much- good for a club rider or someone who races perhaps.

For most other types of cycling a shoe with a recessed cleat (examples being Shimano SPD or the Crank Bros type design) is often better since you can walk in them more easily- great for all sorts of riding, including touring, mountainbiking and going to Sainsbury's (although hardly necessary for the latter). These systems are also easier to use since you can clip in on either side of the pedal (or four sides in the case of Crank Bros.)

So you need to select the shoe /pedal system that suits your type of riding (and whether you need to walk in them too), there isn't really a best pedal- you choose one to match your requirements.

Right, the shoes generally have three screw threads in them (road style cleats like Look, Shimano SPD-SL etc.) or two (recessed cleat designs like SPD). The cleat is supplied with the pedal and is attached to the shoe, this being the interface between the shoe and pedal.

Anyway- there's a little research to do, search the forums a bit and try to work out what will suit you. You've gone pretty quickly from "looks dangerous" to "I want them now"!

Keith Smith

Regular
I bought the Shimano 105 SPD SL pedals and a modest pair of Specialized road shoes on Saturday, and have cycled over 50 miles in them this weekend. My verdict is simply OMG! How on earth did I ever manage before?! They have completely transformed the bike. The increase in power from simply being able to engage the opposing leg muscles is staggering! It is particularly noticeable when accelerating from a standstill or from a slow rolling speed, and powering up hills. I am completely, unequivocally, 100% converted!

Top Bottom