Upgrading to proper Road Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
To answer the OP I have SPDs on my commuter and SPD SLs on my roadbike, mainly because I prefer to be able to walk after my commute and the SLs make that a bit harder without destroying my cleats

Both sets work fine, but if I was to choose a preference it would be the SLs, but can't say explicitly why, other than it 'feels' more secure

antonypo

Regular
o.k. thanks to all again - and the link to clipless pedals great. Last night while on nights I took the plunge and ordered a pair of specialized bg sport shoe and the shimano m520 spd pedals. Will let you know when i fall off - er i mean how i get on.:laugh::wacko:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I have spd-sl and I like them, when the miles start going up they do feel more planted and keep you square-er on the pedels.

However, knowing what I know now I would have stuck with a 2 bolt sportive style shoe, like the shimano RT81 or newer RT82. Yo get almost road shoe weight and looks, but with the convienience of a recessed cleat.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Buy the shoes that fit most comfortably! Seriously.............

As for pedals, I use Look, reason: When I bought my 1st bike they said what pedals do you want........ I looked around and said, I have heard of Look Keo so I will have those!

TBH, horses for courses, pay your money, ride your bike.

antonypo

Regular
Well as promised - came back to tell you how i got on with the spd 520's and specialized shoes.DISAPPOINTED.I wasn't expecting to change the world but expected a little better performance than before. As i take into account weather conditions, wind speed etc on each of my runs i was expecting an improvement of my usual 18 mph average. I ended up 17 mph average on my 24.5 mls run and boy did my legs feel tired. Can't see where the extra power from the stiff soles comes from either.Made no difference on the flat or going up hill.
Something more positive though. I soon got used to clipping in and out of the peddles and didn't fall off! I did lose a few seconds at lights trying to get the clips back in though. It was my 1st run with them this morning but didn't expect a worse performance.
ANY THOUGHTS?

Zakalwe

I think you were misled into thinking that you'd magic some extra watts of power because of a pedal. Too many variables on the ride to compare also, you mention traffic lights and these will have more impact on average speed than any apparel.

antonypo

Regular
I think you were misled into thinking that you'd magic some extra watts of power because of a pedal. Too many variables on the ride to compare also, you mention traffic lights and these will have more impact on average speed than any apparel.
Know what your saying but didn't expect to be slower as I said - what with all the hype about stiff soles etc. Also the traffic lights are there on every run of course and my cateye takes the stops into account.

Zakalwe

It takes stops stops in movement account but not coasting to a stop and slow starts off the mark, light phasing etc. my commute can vary anywhere between 19 and 24 kph. I don't know about hype or actual gains from the stiff soled shoes I wear but since I went clipless I really can't go back to without. I need my feet attached to the bike for the way it feels rather than for any particular "gain".

Zakalwe

Also, because the timer stops, the average speed can be misleading - if I brake at the last minute for every light and hammer off the mark my average will be much higher than if I gently coast to each stop. My overall journey will take the same time but the average speed for the time I was moving will drop substantially - ill just spend less time standing still.

antonypo

Regular
Also, because the timer stops, the average speed can be misleading - if I brake at the last minute for every light and hammer off the mark my average will be much higher than if I gently coast to each stop. My overall journey will take the same time but the average speed for the time I was moving will drop substantially - ill just spend less time standing still.
Not correct i feel. I put the time in excel with formula for distance/ time* 60 as a measure of increased fitness after each ride
. The average matches my cateye. Well it will wont it as speed = distance / time so it must take longer for the journey if the average is less - as mine did today. All its calculating really is the mph of that particular journey.

Zakalwe

You cycle 1k at 30kph with a 2 minute stop in the middle. You brake late and hard, accelerate hard, your average speed is not far off 30kph for the time spent moving. Journey time 4 minutes.

You cycle the same 1k at 15kph, you arrive at the stop light just as it turns green, keep at a steady 15kph to the end. Average speed 15kph. Journey time 4 minutes.

antonypo

Regular
You cycle 1k at 30kph with a 2 minute stop in the middle. You brake late and hard, accelerate hard, your average speed is not far off 30kph for the time spent moving. Journey time 4 minutes.

You cycle the same 1k at 15kph, you arrive at the stop light just as it turns green, keep at a steady 15kph to the end. Average speed 15kph. Journey time 4 minutes.
Sorry buy I think your'e missing the point that the 2 stopped minutes would not be recorded on the cateye as you are stopped. Total cycle time ON THE CATEYE would be 2 minutes not 4 - sorry !
What you are correct about is whether you slow down or not at lights - yes that does make a difference as the cateye still records that you're moving so reduces the overall average and still keeps ticking along recording the time till you stop completely.
That's why I'm a bit infatuated about doing the same journey and the average speed wavers from 17.8 to 18.3 mph(given the 6 mph wind conditions) but it has never been as low as 16.9 like yesterday. Anyway as I said earlier I expected a SMALL improvement with the shoes etc not the other way round - that's my point. Secondly I wonder if discipline has something to do with it as you may be using slightly different muscles or even at a slightly different angle as you are made to keep your feet straight. Maybe that's why my legs felt so abnormally tired?
I may find an improvement after a few weeks and that will be down to the clips etc as my fitness has plateaued over the last month or so?

Zakalwe

I was merely pointing out the differences in how cateye data can be read, slowing down affecting times etc. I think you need to allow yourself a few more rides to get properly used to the new set up, you do need to use your body differently than you did before which is why you may be more tired in certain places. Also try not to use your computer to measure apparent failures, use it as a motivator to spur you on to a faster ride next time ;-)

antonypo

Regular
I was merely pointing out the differences in how cateye data can be read, slowing down affecting times etc. I think you need to allow yourself a few more rides to get properly used to the new set up, you do need to use your body differently than you did before which is why you may be more tired in certain places. Also try not to use your computer to measure apparent failures, use it as a motivator to spur you on to a faster ride next time ;-)
Will do and thanks for the chat. it's been interesting. i was contemplating going out today which isnt normal for me to go out 2 days on te bounce but its hammering it down again. I'm not looking forward to Winter. Dreading the conditions and the gain in pounds that comes from inactivity if its freezing. How bad does it need to be to stop you? rain as in light rain doesn't bother me but pouring down does. Ice - especially on clips will be very dangerous I think !

Zakalwe

Any time, everyone's got ideas and opinions so its good to share and see what works for you.

I'd say if you're training for an event or race, get out there whatever the weather - the weather or race day isn't guaranteed. That post ride coffee is all the sweeter too. :biggrin:

Top Bottom