Upgrading to Steel (Genesis Equilibrium) from Alloy (Aether 10) - is it worth the outlay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
You'll struggle to get a decent Croix for £400, or even an Eq 20 (maybe with rim brakes)

Well I wasn't really looking for a Croix. I can see the attraction of a bike that can move from road to trail but it's not really my thing; at least not at this moment.

Used EQ 20s do come up at around the £400/£450 mark - dead-stock new models I've seen sell for as low as £450 and then anywhere up to £800 although most are closer to £800 if they'e out of a dealer. The main thing to consider is whether you want a Campagnolo group-set or a Shimano 105 group-set – that question might warrant it's own thread.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well I wasn't really looking for a Croix. I can see the attraction of a bike that can move from road to trail but it's not really my thing; at least not at this moment.

Used EQ 20s do come up at around the £400/£450 mark - dead-stock new models I've seen sell for as low as £450 and then anywhere up to £800 although most are closer to £800 if they'e out of a dealer. The main thing to consider is whether you want a Campagnolo group-set or a Shimano 105 group-set – that question might warrant it's own thread.
My Eq has SRAM :whistle:

iandg

Legendary Member
I don’t think the equilibrium takes much more than a 28mm tyre. I love mine but it’s still bumpy on 25s on rubbish surfaces.

Ditto - Great bike but limited by tyre size, 28 without guards 25 with. Rode Audax on it for 12 months but wasn't confident when descending with full saddlebag so decided to get a touring bike with 35c for the comfort on longer rides (a Surly LHT). Heavy but with decent tyres soaks up the miles in comfort.

Wider Tyres and lower pressures alone make a big difference to ride quality,
if you can get wider ones on.
Is your seat comfortable on these rough surfaces or is the bike just too ratly
and vibrates you to bits.

I find a slightly Longer wheel base helps, a heavier bike usually doesn’t
get skitso compared to the very light models when you hit a rough patch
at speed.

I am looking for a steel framed bike too, to build into a rough road warrior.

CXRAndy

Guru
For a comfy ride on a road bike with rough potholed roads, you need a minimum of 30mm ideally 40mm. Run them tubeless setup with lower pressure and enjoy smooth ride. Speed will be only slightly down, the comfort will outweigh the loss.

Frames have very little to do with suspension. People talk of steel being better at absorption of road buzz etc, true its better than aluminium. However fitting larger tyres on a aluminium bike would trump any frame benefits of steel by many fold.

After that its some form of suspension bike, these come with bigger tyres too

I would look at Gravel bikes Here is Genesis line up, big tyre https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes?categories=Bikes~Adventure & Gravel

Last edited:
Top Bottom