Upper body exercise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok so the bike is doing my legs a lot of good, my waisteline a fair amount of good, but my upper body/chest is not changing for the better....what to do?

I dont want to join a gym again...too expensive...I hate dance music and I find them very de motivating....

...I thought about riding my bike upside down while peddaling with my arms and joining the circus...there has to be a better way?

col

Legendary Member
Pulling on the bars while cycling is good for the back,trying to squeeze the handlebars together good for the chest,but a few pressups at home,get a doorway chin bar set up,and a chair under so you can help with the chins with your legs until,a you loose some more weight,or b,gain more upper body strength,also raising anything with straight arms like chairs for example helps the shoulders,you will find your own variations on these,also use the chairs for bicep curls,even a broomshank between two chairs,and lay on your back underneath and pull yourself up,again,you will find your own variations ,but keep every move smooth and controled,no jerky movements,and it will minimise pulled muscle possibilities.

simoncc

When I did MTB racing I found that swimming was an ideal way to make sure my upper body was strong enough for the rigours of the sport. My legs were fit enough already because of my road miles.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...I think that may have been how I got large in th efirst place!

...swimming sounds ok...I used to be good at that.

I have a morning regime of press ups and dumbell weights
On a good day I can do about 65 press ups and it has definitely helped with the strength in my shoulders after breaking my upper arm a few years ago and I also believe it saved me from worse injury when I fell of the bike last year

Cab

Get an allotment and dig. Surprisingly good upper body workout. And as an added bonus you get a healthier diet too. Win-win situation.

domtyler

Über Member
Cab said:
Get an allotment and dig. Surprisingly good upper body workout. And as an added bonus you get a healthier diet too. Win-win situation.

If you want to spend all your spare time gardening that is.

Cab

Naah, couple of hours here, couple of hours there... Rather like working out at the gym only with more fresh air and better vegetables.

domtyler said:
If you want to spend all your spare time gardening that is.

Couple of hours a week is all it needs. More time-efficient than the gym, and you get to eat your results.

We've had melons, courgettes, potatoes, beetroot, leeks, strawbs, sweetcorn, raspberries, carrots, beans, garlic, rhubarb off ours this year.

walker

If you don't want to join the gym then just stick to the old school weight training, Bicep curls With weights, pressups, trcip dips on a chair. For the back lie over the end of your bed with just your legs and hips on the bed, face down and raise yourself up to level of bed. Everyone has a gym in there own house with objects they already have but don't use their imagination

Cab said:
Not bad! May I ask, what variety of melons was that? Did you grow them outside or with some protection?

I grew Ogen and Piel de Sapo melons outdoors in a plywood coldframe with that two-layer plastic sheeting on top that is often used for lean-tos. The Ogens were grown from plants from Homebase, the Piel de Sapo I germinated from seed bought in Spain.

They both had manure underneath, a couple of feeds and some topdressing. Chalky soil on a slightly north-east-facing but sunny site.

The Ogen were small and very tasty and fragrant. The Piel de Sapo are probably ripe now.

I'll do them again next year, with a bit more attention this time I think. I was very chuffed, and Mrs. TI thinks I can work miracles.

Top Bottom