Urban v Rural commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Longshot

This is lifted out of the 'drafting etiquette' so as not to completely threadjack that topic but there has been some discussion about the differences between cycling in cities and in the country, about how people talk to each other and so on in the country whilst townies just glare at you before taking your scalp back to their trophy cabinet. The whole side issue about people sitting off your back wheel and grinning maniacally at you when you you look back is, frankly, quite disturbing and I'll be ignoring that for the purposes of this post.

The whole rural vs city thing is not so much about friendliness, it's about practicality.

I can imagine that when you country folk walk out of your front door, which is surrounded by a trellis of sweet smelling roses and then saunter up through the herbaceous border to your white picket gate, you wave cheerily at the milkman before heading off out to work. Go round to the barn, pat Dobbin on the head and retrieve the bike from the hay before heading out onto the road for the daily grind. Oh No! A heavy rush hour today - Mrs Gingerbread and Fred-the-Postman are both on the village green at the same time. No matter, a friendly wave and cheery "Hello!" before you're on your way once more without too much delay. The ducks quack a companionable greeting as you spray them with water crossing the ford next to the village pond. Birds are singing, cows are lowing and world is a wonderful place. A quick doff of the old flat cap to Farmer George and you eventually reach the field where you work, refreshed and ready for a tough day picking strawberries or driving a tractor.

If I said "Hello" to everyone I see in London, whether on a bike or on foot, I'd have to turn round and head home before I ever got to my office. It's simply not possible. How then do you select who you acknowledge? It's tricky but anyone wearing tweed, wearing a flat cap or munching on a piece of straw is to be treated with the utmost suspicion. They tend to smell funny and want to catch you eye or, God forbid, engage you in conversation about how busy it is. Pretty gals are always an option but there's only so many times you want to be verbally assaulted for being a "perv". Far better to ignore everyone and thereby treat them all totally equally, with no hint of political incorrectness (who the hell knows what else got made unacceptable overnight?), thereby arriving at one's desk in good time and un-accosted by strangers.

You know the saying about strangers being a friend you haven't made yet? It was said by a countryphile/ruralist/bumpkin (what is the correct noun?), of that I can be sure. In cities, strangers are muggers who haven't knifed you yet.

As an aside, you may not be aware of it, but there is a secret language on the tubes, buses and trains. People commute via the rustling of newspapers. There's quite an art to it but experienced proponents of the art have been known to be able to articulate over 300 individual words by this method.

As a city boy who went rural about 15 years ago, I've cycle-commuted across the decades both in London (and other European capitals) and in the sticks in the west of England.

Later in my commuting life I frequently took my bike to Paddington and rode around Whitehall and the City, then did my 22-mile rural commute the next day.

Both experiences were almost always lovely. Neither was anything like the other.

There is a slightly visceral feel to London commuting. The bike was a roadified hardtail and the riding style was all about mirror-shaving FX4s.

In the sticks it was a lightish road bike and lycra and the whole thing was about quiet, hassle-free, uninterrupted attempts at lowering my time and at the same time looking for buzzards, kites, herons and other fauna.

I agree absolutely that there is an 'of necessity' difference in attitude, approach and communication between urban and rural commuting or riding.

I am unlikely to know any of the riders I come across in the Smoke. Out here, if I saw someone on my commute, the chances are we've spotted one another scores of times and there's going to be a smile or a wave.

HPC on a dry day with me-sized gaps between swerving cabs and Post Office vans is something like heaven for me. Similarly, miles of smooth rural blacktop on the rolling Gloucestershire hills. 2 different sorts of paradise.

I must dash now, I've just realised that after fifteen years in the couintry I still don't have roses around the front door. Which would look best? Gloire de Dijon? Perhaps not...

snorri

Legendary Member
"crossing the ford" From now on I'm going to see that section of road with the blocked drains that floods every time there has been overnight rain in a completely different light. In future I will stop cursing the Cooncil drain cleaning department and just relax and enjoy the refreshing spray from passing cars :biggrin:

Sandra6

Veteran
I can do both lol

Blast down an A road, or divert to the canal towpath for a blissful bimble in :thumbsup:

Me too.
I live in a "city" just a mile from the centre, but Carlisle is nothing city-like if you compare it to London.
If I go out my front door, no roses round it, and turn right I'm minutes away from the river and country lanes. On a 20 mile trip in that direction I'll see more tractors than cars.
If I go left, I'm a mile from the city centre, but if I see another cyclist I'm surprised.
I have noticed cyclists I do encounter are more likely to say hi on the country lanes than on the city roads though.

Lee_M

Guru
well I ride into London

half road and half canal/park

I say good morning to people occasionally, and yes they are generally miserable!

HovR

Über Member
I technically live in a city. A small city, but a city none-the-less. On my city commute you can be behind another cyclist and not say hello, just as you wouldn't flash your lights to the car in front of you in a friendly fashion. The bikes are treated as a means of transport - Just trying to get somewhere.

On the other hand, when I'm out in the country lanes around Gloucestershire and the Cotswolds (starting to wonder if I've seen @Boris Bajic when out!) It's a much more social thing. We generally come across groups of walkers, horse riders, other cyclists, steam rallies (that's Gloucestershire for you), farmers etc and all are given a friendly wave and greeting!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Horse poo, even with mudguards - bah !

One came down our cul-de-sac the other day just to have a dump.

I can commute along rural b-roads where cyclists acknowledge each other, or along the high street and along busy roads where there are usually lots of cyclists on panniered hybrids commuting to Rolls Royce or BAe. The more bikes the less acknowledgements. I do love the rural commutes though, there's a 14 mile or 20 mile route for when I have more time, but the standard route I do is 10 miles.

Shortest route is only 4 miles but that it just TOO SHORT and along a horrible potholed muddy, flood prone thorn-strewn single track ratrun beloved of WVM.

sidevalve

Über Member
1 - what gives you the right to call anyone not residing in the city of london a "bumpkin" ? Obviously anyone outside this sacred area is living in a third world agricultural ghetto saying "oo arrr" at the very sight of one of them new fangled automobile things.
The only contribution london seems to make to the country is to produce pollution, shuffle lots of paper and electronic money, give politicians and financiers somewhere to stay while they work out how to spend everyone else's tax money [usually on themselves or the city] and hold the olympic games the benefits of which I am still awaiting.
And 2 - even in the tiny rural villages of manchester, newcastle, leeds,birmingham etc [where there are a few automobiles about these days] some cyclists still manage to give a nod or even a smile to each other. Maybe not everytime but at least we don't hate everyone. Perhaps it's all the jellied eels that causes your sour outlook.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
On the way too and from work I say hello to those people I know.
On somedays it could be nobody, on others it could a dozen or so people.

weekend rides and i'll doff my cap, wave or say howdy.

Top Bottom