URGENT ASSISTANCE!!! Hybrid bike choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maulikdoctor

Hi All,

I am new to the chat and to the cycling world so your help is highly appreciated.

I am planning to start cycling to work which will be a 11 mile one way journey, out of which half will be next to the canal. I believe I will only do this journey two days a week (at least to start with) and not sure will be able to do the same in winter as I understand there are no lights next to canal and it can get difficult. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now the important question: Which bike to go for. I was advised a hybrid bike. I dont want to spend much as it is my first bike but dont want any bike which will put me off cycling too. I am planning to buy the bike via cycle to work scheme ran by halfords (as this is teh only one engaged by my employer).

Current choices based on my research is Carrerra crossfire 1 or 2 or Subway, Giant Escape 3 or Trek 8.2

Please help me make this choice, my selection window closes tomorrow.

Thanks

Maulik

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Out of your choices i would go for the giant ,
You will not need suspension for roads and canal paths , it will just be extra weight and the subway is good but a bit hefty imho , its do able but you will notice the difference in weight compared to something like the giant type bike .
With the right lights , clothes , tyres and being careful its possible to ride pretty much all year around .

Hi All,

I am new to the chat and to the cycling world so your help is highly appreciated.

I am planning to start cycling to work which will be a 11 mile one way journey, out of which half will be next to the canal. I believe I will only do this journey two days a week (at least to start with) and not sure will be able to do the same in winter as I understand there are no lights next to canal and it can get difficult. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now the important question: Which bike to go for. I was advised a hybrid bike. I dont want to spend much as it is my first bike but dont want any bike which will put me off cycling too. I am planning to buy the bike via cycle to work scheme ran by halfords (as this is teh only one engaged by my employer).

Current choices based on my research is Carrerra crossfire 1 or 2 or Subway, Giant Escape 3 or Trek 8.2

Please help me make this choice, my selection window closes tomorrow.

Thanks

Maulik
Hi there, I've had my Subway for about a year now and like cyberknight says it can be on the cumbersome side but I've no complaints and it's never let me down. It being a touch on the heavy side, I feel like I've had a pretty decent workout. The only thing I changed was the tyres, I put City Jets on instead of the stock light trail tyres that came on the bike, otherwise it's stock standard. BTW welcome to CC.

Sandra6

Veteran
I think you'll find both the crossfire and the subway too heavy, and not ideal for the towpath.
Have you considered a cyclocross? Not sure of your budget, but if you're tied to halfords look at the 13 range, easily as good spec as a boardman but generally on the cheaper side. If its got to be a hybrid - and why not? - I like the voodoo marasa.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think you'll find both the crossfire and the subway too heavy, and not ideal for the towpath.
Have you considered a cyclocross? Not sure of your budget, but if you're tied to halfords look at the 13 range, easily as good spec as a boardman but generally on the cheaper side. If its got to be a hybrid - and why not? - I like the voodoo marasa.
That voodoo looks good, with regards CX i agree but some dont like drop bars.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
............. I am planning to buy the bike via cycle to work scheme ran by halfords (as this is teh only one engaged by my employer).

Current choices based on my research is Carrerra crossfire 1 or 2 or Subway, Giant Escape 3 or Trek 8.2............

I wasn't aware that Halfords were Giant or Trek agents.:unsure:

Top Bottom