[Urgent] International phone numbers question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Can I ask a dumb phone number question? If I wanted to call an Australian number from France, then given that the Australian dialling code is 61, is there an alternative to using 00 (international dialling code for France) followed by 61? Sometimes phone numbers in Australia (for international business customers, for example) are prefixed with +61, so do customers calling Australia from other countries still have to enter their international dialling code before the 61?

I've never used a mobile phone from outside Australia, as the last time I travelled overseas was 1997, hence my confusion. Any clarification appreciated.

Thanks,

--- Victor.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You can dial either 00 61 or if your phone allows it +61 from anywhere in the world .... pretty much :-)

00 or + gets you the international dialling onto which you add the country code.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
You can dial either 00 61 or if your phone allows it +61 from anywhere in the world .... pretty much :-)

00 or + gets you the international dialling onto which you add the country code.
Ah, I suspected the + was an 'alias' for 00, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming it. Does that mean that in countries like Australia, the + can be automatically replaced with 0011 (our international dialling code) if the phone supports it? In other words: would my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S5) use a different prefix depending on where I'm calling from?
I can't seem to find any info on how the + is supposed to work.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ah, I suspected the + was an 'alias' for 00, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming it. Does that mean that in countries like Australia, the + can be automatically replaced with 0011 (our international dialling code) if the phone supports it? In other words: would my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S5) use a different prefix depending on where I'm calling from?
I can't seem to find any info on how the + is supposed to work.
Yes the 00 simply replaces +
On my iphone and most others there is usually a + button you can access, in my case it's 0n the zero key and you just push and hold to get the + rather than 0.
So to dial the UK from anywhere you would type +44 1235 xxxxxx for dialing Abingdon UK who's dialing code is 01235. But you can still save numbers as 0044 1235 xxxxxx

Poland 0048 or +48 then number
Ireland 00353 or +353 then number

Roaming can be very expensive, so you might want to install an app like Skype, then you can make calls to Australian landlines from wifi for a couple of pence per minute or if you can get your loved ones to use Skype, then it's free.

Remember you pay to receive calls when roaming. I often buy a local sim when travelling, it can save a lot of money. Lebara are good if you thin you will call Australia.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Roaming can be very expensive, so you might want to install an app like Skype, then you can make calls to Australian landlines from wifi for a couple of pence per minute or if you can get your loved ones to use Skype, then it's free.

Remember you pay to receive calls when roaming. I often buy a local sim when travelling, it can save a lot of money. Lebara are good if you thin you will call Australia.
According to my service provider, France and Switzerland are included in a list of countries where I can use what they call "$5 roaming", which means that I can make up to 90 minutes international calls (which is what is defined in my current phone plan) per day, and the extra charge will be $5 for that day. If I don't make any international calls that day, the extra charge is supposed to be zero.
If this turns out to be misleading information, and I get a whopping phone bill on my return, I'll be having words with them. :gun:

I must admit I didn't think of using Skype, but no time left to sort that out, now. Perhaps next time.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
The + before the 61 or 44 was meant to indicate the international dialling code for the country you were in. There were some that varied. With the advent of computerised exchanges, which all mobile exchanges are, it is a simple matter to interpret the + as the code to dial internationally.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Thanks all. Even though I'm a software engineer, my experience with mobile phones is fairly limited, as I adopted the use of them later than most. Also I've only travelled overseas twice, in 1996 and 1997, because Australia might as well be on Mars.

According to my service provider, France and Switzerland are included in a list of countries where I can use what they call "$5 roaming", which means that I can make up to 90 minutes international calls (which is what is defined in my current phone plan) per day,
That's how most UK phones work when roaming in Europe, after the regulators insisted. I didn't know Australia did it too, but I am sure it will be ok. If offer doesn't include data, make sure that is off.

If you are on android, OsmAnd allows you to download maps (on wifi ) to use when data is off. There's an iPhone version too,but I haven't used that.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
That's how most UK phones work when roaming in Europe, after the regulators insisted. I didn't know Australia did it too, but I am sure it will be ok. If offer doesn't include data, make sure that is off.

If you are on android, OsmAnd allows you to download maps (on wifi ) to use when data is off. There's an iPhone version too,but I haven't used that.
Yes, I've downloaded maps to cover where I'll be in France, and they don't expire until after I return.

Top Bottom