Urinating in public yes/no ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Certainly not in the middle of a town high street but out in the sticks away from prying eyes and eager seagulls I see no problem.

I'm sure all shapes and sizes of cyclist have blessed many a hedge around the world

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just use the nearest pub. They all have toilets.
Not always as easy as that either. I've seen people being turned away from pubs, McDonalds and shops because they are "for customers only". So yes, you could buy a drink for £1.20 and use the loo, but that might not always be possible. I remember when I worked in a small co-op a heavily pregnant woman begged to use our staff toilets. We let her just the once, but anyone else was refused. And there are no public toilets in town now; there were only 2 to begin with, one was closed about 20 years ago due to beig used for drug taking, and the other is possibly still open but is on the far side of the town by the swimming pool

On tour or when approaching a big city where facilities are not known or leaving a fully loaded bike is a security risk, I usually hop behind a hedge or tree in the countryside.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just reading on local news that a guy in Warrington has been fined for the above crime. Total was approx £300.
No details given so I don't know how brazen he was.
Several Things come to mind.
1. If that was me £300 would equal £150 per inch.
2. Having visited France on many occasions the sight of men peeing at the side of the road seems common place. Mr Google tells me it is "accepted" but not legal and fines can be up to €400+. Different countries/cultures etc .

Just a point on interest really.
It's not uncommon in Holland. Me? If caught badly short when driving I would find somewhere hidden and discreet.

On a bike ride we will be happily sailing along and the cry will go up. "Pee stop." It's almost a Pavlovian response, suddenly everyone needs a pee. :eek:

Drago

Legendary Member
If you gotta do it, fine, nature is nature, but for the love of Starmer be discreet. It ain't difficult.

Of course, the French are a bit more happy-go-lucky and don't like expending effort. Weeing discreetly out of sight, shaving, keeping Hitler out, its too much like hard work for them. Nothing wrong with that, its just how they roll, but the British would prefer not to see willy being wagged in the street.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Depends on location as others have said, however Leicester closed it's public loos years ago not for budget reasons but because of gay men 'Cottaging' in them. As an aside I have rarely seen anything as funny as my ex Pamela going behind a tree in a Derbyshire Dale and squatting right on top of a new Nettle (Easter break) My offer to 'kiss it better' was not appreciated. :rolleyes:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
McDonalds and shops because they are "for customers only". So yes, you could buy a drink for £1.20 and use the loo
I would never normally go near a McDonalds - really not my kind of place at all, but I was a bit desperate once so I called in at one, bought a drink, put it on a table, and went off to the toilet. I returned a couple of minutes later and they had chucked my drink away... So, remember to take the drink with you!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sometimes you just got to do what you gotta do

Tenkaykev

Guru
Many years ago Mrs Tenkaykev and I were running the South Downs Way. Mrs Tenkaykev got caught short and needed a wee. There was a derelict barn in the next field so she popped behind it. She came back a few moments later looking pale, and I remarked " That was quick " She had squatted and was about to wee when she looked down and noticed the nest of adders that had been sunning themselves.:ohmy:

Joffey

Big Dosser
On bike - yes
In the middle of York when shopping with the Mrs - no

Obviously when riding if I get caught short I nip behind a hedge or something.

Reactions: JtB

vickster

Legendary Member
Women

Women/girls are apparently mastering the "art" of peeing while standing up :rolleyes:
Dunno who told you that :wacko:

Women can obviously squat to pee in the open but I don't know any woman who would choose to do it, rather than wait until they find a decent loo!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Not always as easy as that either. I've seen people being turned away from pubs, McDonalds and shops because they are "for customers only". So yes, you could buy a drink for £1.20 and use the loo, but that might not always be possible. I remember when I worked in a small co-op a heavily pregnant woman begged to use our staff toilets. We let her just the once, but anyone else was refused. And there are no public toilets in town now; there were only 2 to begin with, one was closed about 20 years ago due to beig used for drug taking, and the other is possibly still open but is on the far side of the town by the swimming pool
:eek:

The previous supermarket i worked in only had a staff toilet, but if a customer ever asked if there was a toilet, we'd always let them use the staff loo. Basic human rights and all... refusing someone the use of the loo is a horrible thing to do, frankly. :angry:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
On longer hikes it would be rare for Mrs SD not to stop for a pee. Same with me.

Basic human function.

No different to breast feeding in the wild - which we have happened on twice in our travels - not a problem to us either.

A few months back we 'caught' a fella taking a pee - he was very embarrassed and apologetic as all was visible.

We found it quite amusing and were not offended at all.

Strangely, I was desperate a few minutes later. Maybe the need to pee is contagious like sneezing. :laugh:

Top Bottom