Urinating in public yes/no ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
At Costas in York, the toilets are locked and they only give you a pin number if you have bought something.

winjim

Smash the cistern
At Costas in York, the toilets are locked and they only give you a pin number if you have bought something.
That's pretty degrading. I suppose York does have a lot of tourists to think about but it does benefit local business so I'd hope that a big business like Costa could work with the council in order to improve access to public facilities.

I did live in York for a few years but I can't think where the public toilets were off the top of my head. It was twenty years ago.

Reactions: C R

tyred

Legendary Member
I perfectly understand why businesses do things like that in fairness as some people leave public toilets in terrible condition and expect others to clean up after them. It costs the business money.

As with many things in life it is the selfish minority who make life awkward for the considerate majority.

Adam4868

Guru
Im pretty sure it's the same at one in Blackpool here,I usually say I need to wash my hands first then I'll order.
Change my mind then...sh1t coffee anyway.

Mike_P

Guru
I did live in York for a few years but I can't think where the public toilets were off the top of my head. It was twenty years ago.
There was what locally was know as the Piss Palace on the end of Parliament Street
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.958...4!1sJfzKVV56cOn8Ypp86QZZmw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
which was demolished around 10 years ago. In store in M&S being the locals destination.
I stopped by a cemetery the other week on an edge of built up area location (field opposite) and as soon as I got off the bike realised I desparately in need of a no.1 and did momentarily ponder going round the cemetery side of the hedge but opted for the road side which did have a pretty empty flower bed.
Far too many locked field gates these days IME.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That's pretty degrading. I suppose York does have a lot of tourists to think about but it does benefit local business so I'd hope that a big business like Costa could work with the council in order to improve access to public facilities.

It was either end of parliament square in the 1980s. The men’s and women’s at either end as they found important archaeological remains after they’d dug one lot.

there's a spreadsheet of london toilet codes - I think it includes costas.

Obviously its not very nice but if someone is desperate to go to the toilet and there aren't any then what are people supposed to do exactly? wet themselves or soil themselves in public?
Its a national scandal the lack of public loos. At the best this can cause discomfort etc but if someone is disabled or a child or elderly then this can stop them from going places etc and effect them negatively. Something needs to be done about the problem as shops etc don't have enough loos if any and bars don't like you using the loos unless you are a customer.
as I recall the decline in public toilets started in the 80s - I think they were thought part of some post war funk and that in the bright new age folk would no longer need to crap and pee. Or (women at least) go in their legwarmers.

Brads

It’s perfectly acceptable to discretely have a pee anywhere and it’s disgusting that having to carry out a natural requirement is deemed illegal.
I’d go to jail before I payed a fine for it.

It seems dim witted to me that people find it unacceptable.
I can only assume that those people don’t pee or wear adult nappies

If a toilet is available then off course someone would use it , but if it’s not then what ?
Are people saying that you should piss yourself before peeing outside ?

Alex321

Veteran
It’s perfectly acceptable to discretely have a pee anywhere and it’s disgusting that having to carry out a natural requirement is deemed illegal.
I’d go to jail before I payed a fine for it.

It seems dim witted to me that people find it unacceptable.
I can only assume that those people don’t pee or wear adult nappies

If a toilet is available then off course someone would use it , but if it’s not then what ?
Are people saying that you should piss yourself before peeing outside ?

The important thing in your first sentence is discreetly (sic). I suspect the guy referred to in the opening post wasn't exactly discreet about it, and I think that is the case with most who get done for it.

Top Bottom