Uruguay v Ghana

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I reckon it's time to look at 'penalty goals' along the lines of 'penalty tries' in rugby...ball going in, handled = goal. And sent off....

Uruguay were a bit pants tonight. Not at their best by a long shot. Ghana did well and I'm sorry they are out. I might need to find out where to buy one of the well smart Ghana t-shirts the fans who were interviewed at half time were wearing :ohmy:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
I reckon it's time to look at 'penalty goals' along the lines of 'penalty tries' in rugby...ball going in, handled = goal. And sent off....

:
No way.

A goal is when the ball crosses the line, as it always has been and should remain. No funny rules, please.

Ghana were never going to win after that ET penalty miss, it was one of those defining moments in a match which decides the outcome. I quite like Uraguay, I'm glad they won.

Ghana are a strong, skilful side though. They would have walked all over England.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
2 of them handballing off the line to keep the goal out then they win on penalities... as bad and as dishonest as Maradona and Henry...Good job I'm not that bothered about football!

Cheating clearly pays in sport.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I am genuinely upset. That bunch of cheating pricks should never have been allowed to win

The equivalent of a penalty try is sorely needed for a situation like that

I have vowed never to set foot in Uragay

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
You play to the rules you have. The players on the line clearly made a calculation that the high risk of getting sent off and having a penalty chance against you in the last seconds of the game was worth it to prevent a certain goal that would have put Uruguay out. Given the rules of the game as they are, they were correct, like it or not (and I don't either).

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Archie_tect said:
2 of them handballing off the line to keep the goal out then they win on penalities... as bad and as dishonest as Maradona and Henry...Good job I'm not that bothered about football!

Cheating clearly pays in sport.

Arbeu cheated too and in general there was a lot of diving and going down rather too easily from Ghana although in the latter stages this was probably tiredness. So paid off for Ghana too.

Noodley

Smokin Joe said:
No way.

A goal is when the ball crosses the line, as it always has been and should remain. No funny rules, please.

That's what was said before rugby changed the rules and also the same for video evidence.

I'd like to see it that if a player stops a goal scoring opportunity that the player he stops gets to pick from a range of options: 'aye, nae bother' at the lowest level to 'rip the pricks heid off (with weapons to allow this to take place)'

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
It was an entertaining game and I was shouting for Ghana to win but knew that they weren't going to win the penalty shoot-out. But that's the rules and hopefully the Dutch will beat Germany in the final.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
That's what was said before rugby changed the rules and also the same for video evidence.

I'd like to see it that if a player stops a goal scoring opportunity that the player he stops gets to pick from a range of options: 'aye, nae bother' at the lowest level to 'rip the pricks heid off (with weapons to allow this to take place)'
Ghana got a penalty.

All the guy had to do was stick the ball in the net. He didn't, so tough.

montage

God Almighty
I think it is fair play hand balling it off the line. It's part of the game. I feel so, so, soooo sorry that ghana didn't win that, looks like a south american storm for the quarters and semis!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Were today's rules in place in 1966 Jack Charlton would have missed the final as he stopped a certain goal with his hand in the semi against Portugal. Not that it mattered as Eusabio converted the penalty.

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Just unlucky really. Ghana can go out with their heads held high - unlike quite a few other teams that have gone out.

Top Bottom